Best of John project

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Re: Best of John project

Post by Dan » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:35 am

executioner wrote:
St_Augustines_Pears wrote:A question for Sue...

Does John have a track listing in mind yet?

Including "Ready To Go" (from RENEWAL: THE ART OF COMMUNITY) and "Hope Marches On" would be great. Also, "The Hard Way" from SHAKE...very underrated song.
I would hope that "Ready To Go" and "Hope Marches On" are not included in this mix; I felt that both were really lackluster at best and wouldn't truly show what John could do. I do think the production value of both are not that great.
These songs would be ok if the guitars were beefed up.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:44 am

Matthew RJ wrote:But with the limited release of those two songs (Hope Marches On, Ready to Go) it might make a "Best Of" a little extra special.

Yeah that because they were never heard, but I believe Sue has said in the past that John is not satisfied with the quality of either song and if that is the case I would rather hear quality over new anyday.
Listen to the quality of the song BTTR and I will tell you that album would have been better off without it on there.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

BriGuyPEI
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

Post by BriGuyPEI » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:48 pm

brent wrote:Not many artists can re-release copies of masters. So the work around is to cover your own song and pay people their percentages.
That's why KISS re-recorded a bunch of their old songs with the current lineup. It was a cheap way to aquire the rights to those songs. That's why whenever you hear a KISS songs in a commercial now (eg. Calling Dr. Love in the Dr Pepper commercials) it is the new version, not the old. Pretty smart if you ask me. Then again, Gene Simmons can always find a way to make more money.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:19 pm

If John is going to do a Best of Album. Instead why don't he make a LIVE album singing all of the best songs of the three albums?

Or on another note, how about pulling together songs from other projects as well into the disc, like taking what He did with Brent's project and other projects and putting it all together with the best of his own solo stuff. A big collection of pure John Schlitt.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:38 pm

"Hope Marches On" was lackluster? of COURSE it was... it was an unfinished piece that somehow made it onto the internet.

No plans to include that or do anything with it.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by sue d. » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:19 am

I have to add one thing here: putting out this album is NOT the toll of death in any way, shape or form for John.

You have to realize that he never really had a solo career; 20 years of his life was spent fronting Petra. While he did put out two albums of his own, he didn't have a career to go with it. Petra was always the main thing and of prime importance to John.

Now, he has control of his own destiny, so to speak, and this is part of his plan. Like Shell said, putting out a compilation is a way to introduce people who may not know John's music to his history over the years. Those who already have the album should be more than happy to download the new singles, so selling of the album online is not really geared towards long-time fans. But the rocker singles will be!

Yes, The Grafting is a bit new to put on a comp album, but it's part of his solo work. It's all JOHN's and he can do whatever he wants to with it. ;-)
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:39 am

I vote Sue should sing backing vocals on Johns new record. John has not had female vocals behind him in a while.
0 x

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by calicowriter » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:49 am

brent wrote:I vote Sue should sing backing vocals on Johns new record. John has not had female vocals behind him in a while.
Duh...last time I checked, his daughter Kari was a female.
0 x
Bridget

"whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phillipians 4:8

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by sue d. » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:15 am

Hehehe... I'll bring my new puppy along - he can howl better than I can! (though I'm awesome singing in the car... still need some work in the shower)
0 x