40th Anniversary CD out now

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Re: 40th Anniversary CD out now

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:12 pm

zak89 wrote:Must say I was a little disappointed that the liner notes "written by Bob Hartman" were basically the details of each album represented (year, producer, author), and not much else. I wasn't expecting a devotional booklet or anything but it would have been nice to have some comments for each track.
Perhaps I'm cynical, but I see this as (another) cash-in compilation where the label maximizes the return by putting as little money as possible into the album itself. The point is not to celebrate the band but to turn a profit.
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:37 pm

I am quite disappointed. The Live version has a totally different arrangement with a heavier riff to the intro and harder guitar distortion, with different notes that sounded like a power ballad, but with the heavy riffs from J&H. This studio version sounds like a "me too" worship song, not bad in it self, but I cant help to have flashbacks from a time in 2001 when we were frustrated waiting for a "Rocker" album and all we got was the mess of Revival, with songs written by other people, John singing in an awful low register that does no fit him, Bob's guitars buried in the mix, and the guitar solos at the end cut short for no apparent reason. I hope they don't make the same mistake again. Just my 50 cents.
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

zak89
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Petra Praise 2
Pethead since: 2002

Post by zak89 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:37 pm

Mountain Man wrote: Perhaps I'm cynical, but I see this as (another) cash-in compilation where the label maximizes the return by putting as little money as possible into the album itself. The point is not to celebrate the band but to turn a profit.
I'm a bit two-minded on this one. On the one hand, it's clear this was put out under a tight budget - but it's still a good 2 disc collection, includes a brand new song, and looks pretty good on my dash. More importantly, I'm holding out a bit of hope that this is a "feeler" release, something that might generate some hard numbers ahead of a more ambitious project.

But frankly, this is the only compilation I've actually purchased a hard copy of, so I'm happy with it so far as that goes. It's probably my favorite Petra compilation, edging out the Ultimate Collection and Petra Means Rock (which I mostly liked because the title was awesome).
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:01 pm

fcollazo wrote:I am quite disappointed. The Live version has a totally different arrangement with a heavier riff to the intro and harder guitar distortion, with different notes that sounded like a power ballad, but with the heavy riffs from J&H. This studio version sounds like a "me too" worship song, not bad in it self, but I cant help to have flashbacks from a time in 2001 when we were frustrated waiting for a "Rocker" album and all we got was the mess of Revival, with songs written by other people, John singing in an awful low register that does no fit him, Bob's guitars buried in the mix, and the guitar solos at the end cut short for no apparent reason. I hope they don't make the same mistake again. Just my 50 cents.

I'm not really disappointed but after hearing the live version was expecting something with a little more of an edge; the keys really take away from the guitar in the mix I think. I do like John's voice in the low register, but will be honest was waiting for the high notes near the end of the song. I go on to say that if they do have a new album come out and they plan on using keys like they did here I hope they are able to get Lawry back in the fold.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:06 pm

Mountain Man wrote:The SoundCloud page says, "The first new Petra recording since the 2003 release 'Jekyll & Hyde'..."

Um, what about "Back to the Rock" and "Too Big to Fail"? Or does Classic Petra not count

Classic Petra was an entity in itself and was legally separated from anything Petra. Plus like someone said in another post I think Bob and a couple of other members(from CP) probably want that left in the past.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:07 am

Yeah. Classic Petra was going out to dinner a few nights with the ex and related family. Petra is living with the current wife and family.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:15 am

Hate to hear people not liking the mix and other aspects of the song. But...the current market is not where we are, Bob writes what he likes, and we are all stuck in the past. I heard the live version and did not really like it, as it sounded incomplete without keys or other guitars. Would prefer more beef on the studio version though.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:34 am

zak89 wrote:I'm a bit two-minded on this one. On the one hand, it's clear this was put out under a tight budget - but it's still a good 2 disc collection, includes a brand new song, and looks pretty good on my dash. More importantly, I'm holding out a bit of hope that this is a "feeler" release, something that might generate some hard numbers ahead of a more ambitious project.
It would be an odd way to test the waters because the people who would most likely buy a new Petra album are also the ones least likely to buy a compilation disc because they probably own every other Petra album already. If I wanted this particular compilation then I could just go through my extensive Petra collection and assemble it myself.
0 x

superfly
Pethead
Pethead

Post by superfly » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:39 am

I guess I was expecting a rock song (like "I will Seek You" maybe), so that was my mistake. This is sleepytime Petra, late 90s Petra to me. Nice song, pretty song, and defintely one that could be sung in Church, but I listen to Petra to hear music I wouldn't normally hear in church if you know what I mean ;)
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:41 am

brent wrote:Hate to hear people not liking the mix and other aspects of the song. But...the current market is not where we are, Bob writes what he likes, and we are all stuck in the past. I heard the live version and did not really like it, as it sounded incomplete without keys or other guitars. Would prefer more beef on the studio version though.
As someone else said, it's not my dream song for a new Petra release, but it's still a really solid, catchy tune.
executioner wrote:I do like John's voice in the low register, but will be honest was waiting for the high notes near the end of the song.
Can he still hit the high notes? I haven't heard him sing live in such a long time that I really don't know if he can.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:50 am

superfly wrote:I guess I was expecting a rock song (like "I will Seek You" maybe), so that was my mistake. This is sleepytime Petra, late 90s Petra to me. Nice song, pretty song, and defintely one that could be sung in Church, but I listen to Petra to hear music I wouldn't normally hear in church if you know what I mean ;)
Ha. There it is. They said they wanted to give a tune to the church. I forgot about that until you said it. Bob did his job. Yeah, my church would not do a J&H tune. Too many old people. The younger people would dig it for sure. But, they don't pay the bills.
0 x

stsmedia
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power to Ya

Post by stsmedia » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:43 am

I've seen several describe the new tune as "pretty". It is catchy if not particularly memorable. I'm sure it will minister to some people. But - really - does anyone want "pretty" Petra? (Isn't that the "other" Petra?) After listening to "Holy is Your Name" I've still got "Too Big to Fail" running through my head. Not a criticism (after all, I could never write any tune like Mr. Bob Hartman does) but just my opinion.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:53 am

stsmedia wrote:I've seen several describe the new tune as "pretty". It is catchy if not particularly memorable. I'm sure it will minister to some people. But - really - does anyone want "pretty" Petra? (Isn't that the "other" Petra?) After listening to "Holy is Your Name" I've still got "Too Big to Fail" running through my head. Not a criticism (after all, I could never write any tune like Mr. Bob Hartman does) but just my opinion.
I'm looking at it from the 2 perspectives.

1. Bob wanted to write a P&W song to be used by churches, which he has accomplished.

2. This is a greatest hits CD with one new song on it; how many times over the years has artists & labels put these things out and the new material on it has gone on to be a great hit or even a great song? Almost never. Artists will never waste their best material on a comp CD.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:13 am

brent wrote:
superfly wrote:I guess I was expecting a rock song (like "I will Seek You" maybe), so that was my mistake. This is sleepytime Petra, late 90s Petra to me. Nice song, pretty song, and defintely one that could be sung in Church, but I listen to Petra to hear music I wouldn't normally hear in church if you know what I mean ;)
Ha. There it is. They said they wanted to give a tune to the church. I forgot about that until you said it. Bob did his job. Yeah, my church would not do a J&H tune. Too many old people. The younger people would dig it for sure. But, they don't pay the bills.
I go to a large Southern Baptist Church and we rock out. I've tried getting the music dept to do "I Will Seek You" but won't not because its too heavy but because they just don't like it. This is the same church that has done "Be Of Good Cheer" & "I've Waited" in the Petra style and also has done in the past year GET READY people "Celebration" (Kool & The Gang) "Pride" (U2) & "Carry On My Wayward Son" (Kansas).
0 x

zak89
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Petra Praise 2
Pethead since: 2002

Post by zak89 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:20 pm

brent wrote:Hate to hear people not liking the mix and other aspects of the song. But...the current market is not where we are, Bob writes what he likes, and we are all stuck in the past. I heard the live version and did not really like it, as it sounded incomplete without keys or other guitars. Would prefer more beef on the studio version though.
It's a great song, and it works well when compared with PP2 (which I think was a pretty solid album) - not a rocker by any means, but very congregation-friendly.
Mountain Man wrote:Can he still hit the high notes? I haven't heard him sing live in such a long time that I really don't know if he can
John? Yes, he can hit The High Notes

And in a studio setting, with multiple takes, he can belt them out a lot more consistently. The guy's still got a killer voice, I tell ya.
0 x