Petra Is Done

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Re: Petra Is Done

Post by Mountain Man » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:48 pm

rexreed wrote:Don't forget Soto:) According to Schon the Revelation tour "eclipsed" previous tours. Man, If I could go back in time and see Frontiers...
I saw Petra one time... During Unseen Power. I thought it was great, the asboestes was falling off the Sam Houston Coliseum ceiling. I always thought It would be possible to see them again and it never panned out...cept for CP.
I would take anything Schon says with a grain of salt. He's still trying to convince himself they can make it without Perry.
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Thief » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:11 pm

Trying to draw parallels is asking too much. I mean, the 70's, 80's, and even 90's bands that have made it past the hump, with success, are an exception. Not Van Halen, REO Speedwagon, Def Leppard, or most others. Most of them, if not all, have seen their crowds diminish and their earnings decrease. Be it because of the grunge/alternative success of the 90's or the music piracy now, the music industry isn't the same as it was. Add to that that we're talking about a Christian rock band here, and the barriers are more. So to sum it up, I really don't see the point of trying to see similarities between Petra and, say, Journey. The differences outweigh the similarities, but the point is that the business has been tough for almost every single band out there, and Petra has been no exception.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:03 pm

brent wrote:Arnel says he is releasing his own album next year.
I can't see anybody being interested in Arnel Pineda without the Journey connection. Except maybe in his home country of the Philippines where he had some success before joining Journey.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:01 am

I'm a huge classic Journey fan but I felt at times Perry was over the top and has/had a huge ego. I admit Arniel is no Perry, but I will have to say their last few albums have really been great and their shows are tight.I know in a band your going to have egos but Steve made no friends in the band with his; just like another former lead singer we know.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:52 pm

Journey was just getting by, doing ok before he came. After Perry came, they got air play with the song Perry wrote (Lights) and within two years/albums had a #1 record, multiple hits, major tours, money to start Vari-Light, investment property in San Fran, built enough wealth so nobody ever had to work again (unless they drugged it away, divorced it away or spend it all). Perry is the only one who doesn't have to work and makes money from past work. So....I would say he could have a little ego. He IS the voice associated with ALL of the hits, awards and top concert ticket revenue. He should have a little pride and I bet he does have some ego. Rightly so. Without Perry, Journey would have fizzed out as a prog jam band.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:29 pm

You have to have a bit of an ego to survive in that business; it's not unusual to hear stories about conflict within bands. That is bound to happen, and it does take more than one person to create conflict. I do understand what Brent is saying; Perry was with the band when they had most of their hits.

Whatever the case, Perry had some health problems and had to have a hip replacement at a pretty young age. That is well documented and on the Internet for anyone to read. That sort of thing is bound to put strain on a band that needs to tour, release albums, etc.
Last edited by Shell on Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:33 pm

executioner wrote:I'm a huge classic Journey fan but I felt at times Perry was over the top and has/had a huge ego. I admit Arniel is no Perry, but I will have to say their last few albums have really been great and their shows are tight.I know in a band your going to have egos but Steve made no friends in the band with his; just like another former lead singer we know.
What you talkin bout Willis?
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:48 pm

executioner wrote:I'm a huge classic Journey fan but I felt at times Perry was over the top and has/had a huge ego. I admit Arniel is no Perry, but I will have to say their last few albums have really been great and their shows are tight.I know in a band your going to have egos but Steve made no friends in the band with his; just like another former lead singer we know.
I never got the sense that he had any bigger of an ego than the other guys in the band, particularly Neal Schon. He was good at what he did, and he knew it, but I don't consider that necessarily egotistical.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:08 pm

There was a DJ on the radio station I listen to (K-Earth 101) who absolutely hated Steve Perry. He talked about what a jerk (only he used words a little stronger and more crude) :) he was. He refused to play Journey's music. That's not the case anymore; He's not with the station now or I'm pretty sure he isn't, and they play lots of Journey stuff. It takes all kinds I guess, and everyone has their take on things. :mrgreen:

I do agree with the idea that he probably wasn't alone in having an ego...But I've never met any of them so I can't say from firsthand experience what they might be like. The sort of thing this DJ did isn't right either and doesn't really accomplish anything (although I will admit it was amusing in some ways).
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Thief » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:41 pm

Steve Perry has needed Journey, as much as Journey has needed Perry. Maybe even more, since Journey has been more on the spotlight afterwards than what Perry has been ever since he left the band. Which, in keeping with the otherwise unnecessary Petra parallels, is a bit similar to the Volz/Petra situation in terms of what happened after.
0 x

Muleya
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Not of This World
Pethead since: 1982

Post by Muleya » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:17 pm

I've not been around in a while, but thought I'd check in here. Interesting discussion.

While I'd love to see Petra with Volz in concert one last time (saw them on the NOTW tour, then saw them a few times later with Schlitt), I'm okay with them being done. I'd probably buy any album they'd put out, but if they're done...well, it is what it is. I did enjoy the two new tunes on BTTR, so was interested to see what they would do in terms of new material, though.

Concerning Journey, I've always been a big Journey fan, but have to say I was rather disappointed with the last album. The new material on Revelation was quite good, so I had high expectations for Eclipse that mostly fell flat. So now I don't expect much in regards to the next album...though of course I will check it out.

And I like Arnel well enough, great voice, great guy. But lets not forget about songwriting. Perry was an integral part of the songwriting in their heyday, and while Arnel may sound like Perry, songwriting is more personal. And even Schon and Cain writing songs without Perry isn't the same. That may be their biggest obstacle to future success. Of course, as long as they keep playing the classics, they'll continue to do well touring.

And Schon...I'm not sure he's not part of the problem. I'm a guitarist and love guitar, but I think some of the most interesting guitar work Schon has done was when he was trying to fit his guitar into a song that wasn't all about the guitar. Anyway, my two cents...if it's worth even that much!!
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:22 pm

They are doing pretty good without Perry.
Mountain Man wrote:
rexreed wrote:Don't forget Soto:) According to Schon the Revelation tour "eclipsed" previous tours. Man, If I could go back in time and see Frontiers...
I saw Petra one time... During Unseen Power. I thought it was great, the asboestes was falling off the Sam Houston Coliseum ceiling. I always thought It would be possible to see them again and it never panned out...cept for CP.
I would take anything Schon says with a grain of salt. He's still trying to convince himself they can make it without Perry.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:54 am

I think they found the new singer for Journey on youtube?
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:50 am

Daniel wrote:I think they found the new singer for Journey on youtube?
Yes. He was in a Phillipine band called The Zoo that covered a lot of American bands. They had a pretty big youtube channel with a lot of vidoes. They covered Journey, Stryper, and all sorts of similar stuff. I only know this because I was doing a search for Stryper stuff and came across the video of Arnel and The Zoo doing their cover of Honestly. My first impression was that they guy has some pipes. I would say he sang it with more power than Michael ever did, and without the need for "assistance". This was before Journey. Sometime later I saw the headline that he had been hired as the new Journey singer. I wouldn't have cared who the new singer was, except that I knew Arnel's name from the youtube clips. I read the article, and the indication was that the guitar player for Journey was surfing youtube, found Arnel's band doing Journey covers, and thought his voice was impressice enough to contact him about the job. Supposedly it took some work to convince Arnel that he was really being contacted about the Journey gig.
I like his voice. I watched a high quality clip several times of Journey performing Faithfully, somewhere in South America, and I thought it sounded great.
0 x