Steve Camp and Petra

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Steve Camp and Petra

Post by p-freak » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:55 am

I saw recently on some website a mentioning of Petra contributing to Steve Camp's 1988 album, called Justice. Is there anyone here who happens to have a copy of this album? Would you be so kind as to check if this is true? In what way did Petra, if at all, contribute to this album?
0 x

trodLAN
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: J&H
Pethead since: 1982

Justice

Post by trodLAN » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:42 pm

I have Steves old CD JUSTICE, and Petra contributes on the song called "Do you feel their pain". It's on the vocals, together with Steve Green, Margareth Becker and BeBe Winans. Steve has written this song together with Rob Frazier.
0 x
https://www.youtube.com/@trodland

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:37 pm

In the last chorus they have a whole group of celebrities singing the chorus.

I think steve wrote that he got in big trouble with the industry for that song, or was it the churches?

I'd have to check.

Ok in the liner notest for the steve camp collection he says that during the Gospel Music Associations keynote address in 1988. Dr. Tony Campolo challenged the GMA membership to do something to relieve the suffering of people with AIDS. He singled out Camp and challenged him, in front of two thousand people, to spearhead another awareness-raiser (Steve did the "Do Something Now" fund raiser for Compassion International).

Interestingly the people he specifically mentioned were BeBe Winans, Steve Green, John Schlitt and John Lawry, and Margaret Becker. Anyways according to him he took alot of heat for the song. That he had people call him and say "That's it, your career in this industry is over for getting involved in this issue".
0 x
The choice is life. Or the lie that comes from hell..

Epyon5757
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Epyon5757 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:17 am

If you look at the credits for one of the first two Petra albums (can't remember if it's the self-titled or "Come and Join Us"), there is a "Steve Camp" listed as an "additional musician." I don't know if it's the same person, but if he wrote a song in collaboration with Rob Frazier, John Schlitt, and John Lawry, then the link could be there.

Off topic: Didn't Steve Green start out with WhiteHeart? His music mellowed out a little bit...
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

camp

Post by executioner » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:55 am

That is the same Steve Camp. Also at the time that Greg X. Volz left Petra, Steve Camp was said to be interested in the lead vocals for Petra.
Steve Green was a member with White Heart I believe on the first 2 albums but left to pursue a solo career.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:36 am

Steve Camp did percussion and background vocals on Come And Join Us.

What's your source about Camp being interested in lead vocals for Petra? I've never heard that one... I'm glad we got John!!
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:06 pm

What was the song about and why did he get nailed for it?
0 x

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:43 pm

Steve Camp and Rob Frazier wrote alot of stuff together. So I would not be surprised if he was around during the time of "Come and Join Us". Steve Camp was groomed by Larry Norman (so to speak) and was close friends with Keith Green.

Well I'm kinda posting off the top of my head right now (don't have access to my CD collection). But the song was "Do You Feel Their Pain" and it had something to do with aids awareness.

Steve Camp kinda made a career out of being hard on the church (complacency, etc). I've heard alot of people complain about his pointed lyrics. My thinking has always been that if his lyrics bother me, then maybe it is a sign there is something wrong (with me).

For someone that was disliked so much, though, he sure got alot of airplay.

Steve Green was only with white heart for their debut album. The lead was then picked up by a guy named Scott (forgot his last name) who lasted two albums, at which point Ric Florian took over till the end. It is my understanding that Steve Green was uncomfortable with performing rock music and preferred praise style music which takes the focus off the band and put it on God.
0 x

Epyon5757
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Epyon5757 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:54 pm

I grew up listening to the likes of Steve Green and Larnelle Harris as a grade-schooler - courtesy of my parents (father a pastor). By the time I finally got old enough to decide what I wanted to listen to - there was, well, Petra, Whiteheart, Guardian, and Whitecross. Audio Adrenaline was up and coming, DC Talk was new, Newsboys were fairly new. But I digress.

Steve Camp got a TON of airplay on KLTY - Dallas. We used to listen to that station endlessly. There was a song that was played - "Taking Heaven by Storm" or something like that - it made my parents uncomfortable for some reason - they didn't agree with something in the lyrics, I think. I can't find the lyrics to that particular song anywhere, so I can't analyze them myself to find out what their issue with it was.

Funny - Petra and Steve Camp both controversial, but Steve Camp got airplay (and a lot of it) and Petra didn't. I wonder why?

Back to my homework. That MAT program at Olivet is gonna kill me...the sheer amount of work required borders on overwhelming. And I have a seven month old daughter and both a full time job and a part time job to boot.
0 x

Life_AWKI
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Life_AWKI » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:26 am

Epyon5757 wrote:I grew up listening to the likes of Steve Green and Larnelle Harris as a grade-schooler - courtesy of my parents (father a pastor). ...

... There was a song that was played - "Taking Heaven by Storm" or something like that - it made my parents uncomfortable for some reason - they didn't agree with something in the lyrics, I think. I can't find the lyrics to that particular song anywhere, so I can't analyze them myself to find out what their issue with it was.
"Taking Heaven by Storm":

I'm here to say that Jesus Christ is Lord of all
He's the solid rock on which we stand
Though kingdoms of this world may rise and fall
We're headed for the promised land

There's no turning back, no matter what the sacrifice
We're pressing on each day to glory, marching side by side
This is our battle cry

Chorus:
We're taking heaven by storm
Sold out to Jesus our Lord
Not giving in to compromise
We keep reaching for the prize
Pressing into the kingdom by force
We're taking heaven by storm!

Jesus said, "The meek shall inherit the earth"
But heaven is taken by the bold
See how much eternal life is truly worth
You've got to lose it all just to save your soul

It's heaven do or die

Raise the gospel banner high
Epyon5757 wrote:
Funny - Petra and Steve Camp both controversial, but Steve Camp got airplay (and a lot of it) and Petra didn't. I wonder why?...
I remember that time of CCM. I think that Christian radio and many churches found it easier to accept solo artists (like Steve Camp, Keith Green etc.) with challenging/prophetic messages more easily than the bands with the same challenging messages (Petra, Servant, Rez, etc.). I am not sure exactly why that was; maybe traditional Christian radio was more comfortable with the solo artist and not the rock band format that grew out of the rebellion of the 60's and 70's. Not sure, just my hypothesis.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:06 am

p-freak wrote:Steve Camp did percussion and background vocals on Come And Join Us.

What's your source about Camp being interested in lead vocals for Petra? I've never heard that one... I'm glad we got John!!
It might have been CCM, but I'm sure it was my local radio in Southeast Texas. They played CCM during the day and after 9PM they would play christian rock; They always had interview segments on there and also would air the press releases from artists. Back in the 80's these were the only sources that I would get info from. I'll be honest and tell you that I really don't think Bob would have even considered Steve, because Steve was a true leader(decision maker) and we all know who runs the show in Petra.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:17 am

Life_AWKI wrote:
Epyon5757 wrote:I grew up listening to the likes of Steve Green and Larnelle Harris as a grade-schooler - courtesy of my parents (father a pastor). ...

... There was a song that was played - "Taking Heaven by Storm" or something like that - it made my parents uncomfortable for some reason - they didn't agree with something in the lyrics, I think. I can't find the lyrics to that particular song anywhere, so I can't analyze them myself to find out what their issue with it was.
"Taking Heaven by Storm":

I'm here to say that Jesus Christ is Lord of all
He's the solid rock on which we stand
Though kingdoms of this world may rise and fall
We're headed for the promised land

There's no turning back, no matter what the sacrifice
We're pressing on each day to glory, marching side by side
This is our battle cry

Chorus:
We're taking heaven by storm
Sold out to Jesus our Lord
Not giving in to compromise
We keep reaching for the prize
Pressing into the kingdom by force
We're taking heaven by storm!

Jesus said, "The meek shall inherit the earth"
But heaven is taken by the bold
See how much eternal life is truly worth
You've got to lose it all just to save your soul

It's heaven do or die

Raise the gospel banner high
Epyon5757 wrote:
Funny - Petra and Steve Camp both controversial, but Steve Camp got airplay (and a lot of it) and Petra didn't. I wonder why?...
I remember that time of CCM. I think that Christian radio and many churches found it easier to accept solo artists (like Steve Camp, Keith Green etc.) with challenging/prophetic messages more easily than the bands with the same challenging messages (Petra, Servant, Rez, etc.). I am not sure exactly why that was; maybe traditional Christian radio was more comfortable with the solo artist and not the rock band format that grew out of the rebellion of the 60's and 70's. Not sure, just my hypothesis.
It also didn't help that Jimmy Swaggart(sp?) and Bill Gothard had huge influences on the church in the 70's & 80's and we all know how they felt about Petra and other Christian Rock Artists. A little story to tell here about Bill Gothard and his ministries.
Our Church youth group went to a Gothard weekend conference in I believe 1985-1986 and I went there being heavy into the Christian Rock at the time was just floored on how Bill Gothard and his ministries spoke out against not only Christian Rock but actually saying that these artists were going straight to hell. Needless to say my parents didn't make me go back for the next day sessions and if I remember correctly our youth pastor pulled us out of there before the first conference was over.
0 x

BForm
Pethead
Pethead

Still Active

Post by BForm » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:50 pm

Steve Camp is still very active as a speaker as well as doing concerts. He was at a conference in April called Together for The Gospel that featured John Piper, RC Sproul, Al Mohler, John McArthur, CJ Mahaney, Ligon Duncan and Mark Dever. For all you theologian types, I would highly recommend considering the CD's from that event. Many people, including myself, feel that John Piper's sermon from that event was the best sermon they ever heard. You can get the text from www.desiringGod.org.

Steve has admitted that he has changed a lot since his early days and had to repent of much of his motivation. I was really excited to hear that he was promoting a reformation within CCM and has written a document called 107 Theses (taking a note from Luther's 95 Theses). You can read the opening statement here:

http://www.geocities.com/nwcricket/theses/thesopen.html

You can also google CAMPONTHIS to see his blog. He has some very insightful comments. Currently he is on a cruise with James White doing a seminar by the same title as James White's new book called:

Pulpit Crimes: Criminal Mishandleing of the Word of God.

Great Stuff!!
0 x
God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. - John Piper

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:34 pm

Well the CCM industry has changed an awful lot since Steve has been a part of it. I certainly hope he is not too ashamed of his earlier work because I thought it was just fine. In fact Taking Heaven By Storm is one of my favorite songs. I like the way it starts and builds up. Gives the speakers a good workout too.

I've read lots, and lots, and lots of articles on CCM and interviews with christian artists and the bottom line is they are hit from all sides (secular and christian). It's amazing even half of them keep their sanity. Chris Rice a guy you would never think of having a fan complain talked about a fan that confronted him about one of his lyrics. He had to tell the fan that the song was not written to a christian, but to a non-christian (doh!). I know Chris' father, he looks so much like his dad now.

CCM is one of those things that started off with the right intentions, but unfortunately ended up where it is at now. In fact these days I think there are several groups that although on fire for Christ/God have no real good understanding of the bible. That tendancy seems to reflect more in some of their poor decisions.

Basically we got a whole new generation with completely different thinking on things. So they probably make more sense to people from the same generation. I'm not gonna go into a whole lot of detail cause I really dont feel like finger pointing. :lol:

I think I've babbled enough for now.
0 x

Epyon5757
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Epyon5757 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:27 pm

Hmm...based on the lyrics posted by Life_AWKI...there isn't anything there that really makes me cringe...however...
I can see both my parents, who are fairly quiet and not terribly outgoing having something of a major issue with the line "But Heaven is taken by the bold."
I also suspect that they felt the song was a little too...rockish...to be considered suitable for CCM radio. A contradiction on their part, since they LOVE the Greg X. Volz era of Petra...of course...they would have been in their early and mid 20's during that era, too.
0 x
Hey, did you ever think twice? If you don't bother, gonna pay the price...