Franklin Taping

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
brothertom
Pethead
Pethead

Franklin

Post by brothertom » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:30 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Hi all! Just made it back to Chicago. Over 1000 miles round trip, and I'm nowhere close to coming from farthest away. Mexico, Guatemala, and even Norway was represented!!!! At least one person from another planet was in attendance (Kentucky).

I guess it really is true that there is no pleasing everyone. All the available Petra material from 33 years, and I'm sure that many people didn't get their faves on the set list. But what was on the set list, and the arrangements for everything, was choice!!! I thoroughlly enjoyed myself, meeting folks out front while waiting to get in, the taping, the mingling afterwards, and the ceremonial post event Pethead meal.

One of the fun things about this event was the taping process that required a couple of takes for things. They basically ran through the entire set at least twice. I was tirred from helping provide crowd noise. I can only imagine how exhausted the band must have been! If we only consider the that part of the concert with the current members of Petra, I would have called it a really good show. The sound was good, energey was high, and the band was tight. They also seemed to be having some fun, and that adds a new element to the show. Now throw in Greg and John, and the event was truly a one of a kind thing.

I had never seen either Greg or John Lawry perform live. John put on a great performance. You could almost feel his presence, even when he was behind his keyboard setup. When he strapped on the portable keyboard, he took over the show! All I could say was WOW!! I wasn't really sure what to expect from Greg, but thought he did a nice job, as well. The 'acoustic' portion of the evening with Greg and John Schlitt on stage together was a terrific touch, in my opinion. No complaints on any front from this reporter. I had a great time!!

Unlike some, I was able to get a couple of hours sleep last night. Te show started a little after 7, and it was a litle after midnight when we left the W. Rolled back into the hotel by 2, and was on the road home before 6 this AM. Now that I've given my impressions of the event, I can take a nap! I took a few hundred pictures. Since I couldn't use the flash dring the taping, I am not sure how many of those might be worth looking at, but I'll look through them over the next couple of days.

Tom

Tom
0 x

BForm
Pethead
Pethead

John & Greg Together?

Post by BForm » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:02 pm

Wow! I was wondering if they would actually sing together or if one would just step behind the curtain while the other did his work. I'm so happy they were able to do this. The Kingdom of God is about ripping down barriers and uniting.

Wasn 't there a lady named Sue that assured us this would "NEVER" happen? Don't ever say never to a good thing when God is involved. I can't wait to see this on DVD.
0 x
God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. - John Piper

BForm
Pethead
Pethead

Vocal Strength

Post by BForm » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:05 pm

I have a question that I would like a real honest reply to. We all know that these two guys are getting up there, and sometimes it can be really difficult to perform live. We've all heard recording artists that didn't sound nearly as good live.

So here's my question....Were these guys both able to hold their notes well? How about harmonizing together? Did it sound really good or were they struggling?

I guess I'll know if November either way.
0 x
God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. - John Piper

Darron
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Darron » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:16 pm

To answer your question, Bform. John and Greg sounded great together. They both pulled back a little when one had the floor for during the solo part. But you could also sense a great respect for one another. It was a moment to be remembered.
0 x
www.darronvanover.com

Kirkman
Pethead
Pethead

Re: John & Greg Together?

Post by Kirkman » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:23 pm

BForm wrote:Wasn 't there a lady named Sue that assured us this would "NEVER" happen? Don't ever say never to a good thing when God is involved. I can't wait to see this on DVD.
Well, there was a guy named "John Schlitt" who told me in interviews he couldn't ever see Greg X. Volz and himself performing on the same stage. And a dude called "Bob Hartman" once told me that he never thought Petra would do any sort of reunion concert.

And look what has happened ... last year's original band reunion, this year's "Petra: Farewell" event, plus another original band reunion on the farewell tour!

You're right... Never say never.

--Josh
0 x
[url=http://petrarocksmyworld.com][img]http://www.petrarocksmyworld.com/ads/rocks_ban2.gif[/img][/url]
[b]Petra Rocks My World[/b] -- [i]a site for fans across the globe[/i]! With song lyrics, interviews, newsletter, messageboard, chat room, and more!

Darron
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Darron » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:23 pm

I just wanted to say, it was a pleasure to meet all of you die hard petheads. Though I've not posted alot on this particular website, this site and it's fans have always kept my interest, because we share the same passion for Petra and more importantly, Jesus Christ. I've been a huge Petra fan for over 15 years. It's great to know there are so many of you out there with the same support for their ministry. It was nice getting to place a face with the screen names. We finally got back at around 5:30 a.m. this morning. Poor Johnathan had to work at 6:45 a.m. this morning so pray for him as he's having a heck of a day after the concert. Hang in there, buddy!
0 x
www.darronvanover.com

crossways
Pethead
Pethead

Post by crossways » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:16 pm

The night was totally awesome! and exhausting :wink:

As far as the set list, I think that you have to take into account that this seemed to be 1)a reunion of sorts, and 2) a live album of their farewell tour---which is largely saturated with J&H tunes.

They also have been touring and came off the road for two days of rehearsal for this event. It would be quite an undertaking to start pulling out a pile of songs from the catalogue that they haven't done in a long, long time.

We are just gonna have to pull out our cds to hear our "favorites" or talk the local bands in the area into covering them :wink:

I thought it was a terrific night, and I thought Bob put the right cap on the evening when he said that Petra was bigger than any one person or group of people it. Petra truly is a minister that has been completely given to God, the guys go and do as He moves them. I think John was VERY gracious to share the stage that he has basically been given by God for ministry, with Greg. I think he did it with no reservations - the two of them seemed to really enjoy each other - but I wouldn't have expected past members to come in and do anything more than a guest appearance.

I really enjoyed meeting you all! We'll have to do it again sometime :wink:
0 x
I KNOW my Redeemer lives!
- Job
www.crimsontruth.com/Forum.htm
www.crimsontruth.com

charl
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by charl » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:53 pm

s anyone else disapointed they didn't do "God Gave Rock and Roll to You" I thought that song was sure-fire since Greg would be making an appearance...
Abso-freakin-lutely. This isn't just about personal faves either, this is THE Petra song, man!! I had hoped they'd play it there too.

Even without it, it sounds like it was a fabulous show. Can't wait to hear it meself!!
0 x

abuelito
Pethead
Pethead

PETRA Tsunami!!!

Post by abuelito » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:03 pm

WOWZERS!!!!!

I just experienced 2 decades worth of PETRA in ONE NIGHT!

IT WAS INCREDIBLE!!!

The only song they were missing that should have been played was �All Fired Up�
But I won�t hold that against them because they ROCKED!!!!!

IT WAS A NIGHT TO REMEMBER!

It was great to meet you Fellow PETHEADS! I hope we get to see each other again some time. PETRA fans are truly the best!...

I will be updating my PETRA section on my site soon. I will be creating a special tribute site soon! � www.jjsierra.com

WOWZERS!!!!!![/b]
0 x
JJ<><
"Petra will always mean rock!"

Michael
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

home in Tulsa!

Post by Michael » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:26 pm

Cat and I finally made it home... 10-hour drive, and we got in right at 7pm.

Do NOT say the set list is lame, anyone who was not there... it was AW-HAW-HAW-HAWE-SOME!!! It was truly incredible. We were right up in the very front, right next to the stage, and the speakers were actually shooting behind me so I couldn't hear the mix very well... but that's OK. I'll hear it on the CD and DVD! It was SO MUCH FUN! The crowd... can you imagine the crowd singing so loud you could hear them over all the racket of the band playing? On almost every song?? I don't know if you'll be able to hear that on the CD, but we joined in on most every chorus.

A real highlight for me was when John Schlitt walked off the stage after the ballad medley with Greg, and left hartman, Lawry, Volz, Bailey and Simmons to play "Grave Robber." It was amazing, both on a spiritual worship level and on a "serious trip back to the 80's" level. It was like being at the Captured in Time & Space taping!

Meeting all of you guys was just incredible. Please, people who didn't get to go, don't feel left out... but I think that was a taste of what Heaven will be like. Meeting brothers and sisters you never met but already know, fellowshipping with them, and singing praises to God. EXCELLENT! The only thing that will be different there will be that we'll be able to stand up for six hours without massive foot pain afterward. :) no seats for us, people! The whole time... basically the same full show two times... we were STANDING UP!
0 x
[url]http://www.GuideToPetra.com[/url] - [url]http://www.ScriptureMenu.com[/url]

[url=http://www.last.fm/user/TulsaMJ/?chartstyle=BasicPetraZone2][img]http://imagegen.last.fm/BasicPetraZone2/recenttracks/TulsaMJ.gif[/img][/url]

PetraFan007
Pethead
Pethead

Post by PetraFan007 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:43 pm

so let me get this straight...JOHN AND GREG VOLZ SANG ON THE SAME STAGE AT THE SAME TIME DURING THE SET??? Hell has just froze over.
0 x
E-mail me at [img]http://petrafan007.100megs15.com/nospam.jpg[/img]

e5c4p3artist
Pethead
Pethead

Post by e5c4p3artist » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:08 pm

That IS kind of lame that they didn't do any true duets. I was hoping to hear them tradeoff, at least on the remade songs they did on Double Take.

Take 'The Coloring Song' for instance. Would it really have been so hard for Greg to sing the first two verses and then John to take over on 'Gold is the color of the morning sun' the way he sang it on the Double Take CD?

Also, as someone else mentioned, I too was hoping for 'God Gave Rock and Roll To You' in some form of a duet. That would have brought the band nearly full circle and been a great nod to their 'Petra Means Rock' legacy.
0 x

drcoolguy
Pethead
Pethead

Post by drcoolguy » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:22 pm

I don't understand why folks are making a big deal about John and Greg performing together. I've never heard anything about any sort of rivalry between them.

When John introduced Greg and the crowd went nuts... and nuts... and nuts... John turned to Greg at one point and said something to the effect of "we get this everywhere we go. See what you've been missing for the last 20 years?" There was no cynicism or sarcasm in it whatsoever. I thought it was an incredible and completely surreal moment.

I got the chance to meet both Greg and John Lawry and get pix/autographs at the show and they were both really happy about being there and being a part of the project.

I went into the show knowing that there was no way that I, or anyone for that matter, would get every song I wanted out of the set, but that's okay. The set as it was was really awesome, and I think it was great.

"God Gave Rock and Roll To You" is one I was also a little surprised not to hear but realize there are three different versions of that song already published, so I don't blame them for skipping it.

The project was supposed to be a retrospective, that's true, but it also was a live album about where Petra is at now at the end, just like Captured in Time and Space was about where Petra was at that point, so no one should be surprised that Amazing Grace or the cuts from Jekyll & Hyde made the album over some of the more traditional favorites.

I'm with the guy that yelled for Lucas McGraw! (but needless to say, that didn't happen).

Everyone just needs to email InPop and request as forcefully as possible that Paul's impromptu "filler" drum solo makes the DVD. It was phenomenal.

Here are some pix I took: http://www.mattandcourtney.com/petra
0 x
[img]http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/2153/petrasig0gb.jpg[/img]

Kirkman
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Kirkman » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:54 pm

drcoolguy wrote: Everyone just needs to email InPop and request as forcefully as possible that Paul's impromptu "filler" drum solo makes the DVD. It was phenomenal.
That was one of the first things I did when I got home. :) I hope everyone else does the same thing.

--Josh
0 x
[url=http://petrarocksmyworld.com][img]http://www.petrarocksmyworld.com/ads/rocks_ban2.gif[/img][/url]
[b]Petra Rocks My World[/b] -- [i]a site for fans across the globe[/i]! With song lyrics, interviews, newsletter, messageboard, chat room, and more!

ctwomn
Pethead
Pethead

:)

Post by ctwomn » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:41 am

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME......!

I am so tired...just got off the phone w/ Sammy and Sue...but I had to post something!

This was the most exciting awesome week I have ever had! There are so many highlights to tell...but I am going to write a real review very soon after I catch up on some sleep!

I love all of you guys sooo much! Sue, Bridgette, Elo, Enosh, Mexican Spud and wife. This was a priceless time that we all shared together! Each of you are so precious to me and Michael. :) I would love to give you all a big hug right now! I am so greatful to God for the chance to taste what heaven will be like forever and ever! How wonderful it will be when we get to be together like this face to face w/ Him! I can not wait till that day! Oh my goodness...After to talking to Sam and Sue I can clearly see how God has used each of us in a special way to be be a support to Petra. John and the guys really appreciated the love they recieved...more than you know! They needed that from all of us!

Wow! God is "Beyond Belief"!
0 x
http://www.guidetopetra.com
http://www.johnschlitt.net
http://www.petratulsa.org