Cincy Show

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
winterlens
Pethead
Pethead

Cincy Show

Post by winterlens » Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:22 pm

Just got back (more or less) from the show in Cincinatti. I'll try to post a somewhat more detailed review at some point (the pictures are probably more fun), but I have to admit to being somewhat disappointed.

I think this was mostly due to two things: they used the same set list as in South Bend (expected) and the sound man was pretty awful (not expected). I went with my sister, who had never seen Petra live, so the set list really wasn't that big of a deal. I knew they'd probably recycle the one from South Bend, but it would've been nice to have a bit more variety. Doing some of the editing work on the one from World Pulse Festival has made me somewhat more intimately acquainted with the set list than I'd prefer for a live show, I think.

We arrived early enough to get decent seats, and I think my shots turned out significantly better than the show in PA September of 2002. Of course, it would be hard for them to be worse. My sister is something of a photographer and got some better shots than I.

The soundman tweaked the sound often throughout the show, and Bob had to stop playing his guitar for the last part of Jekyll and Hyde (the last song in the set). Throughout the set, Paul and Bob let the sound man know things weren't quite going as needed. John and Greg had a word, too, I think, during a couple off-points. It was a thoroughly disrupting experience and made it extremely difficult to enjoy the concert. The sound check lasted so long that the opening band (the "WAKW worship band"?) was offed entirely, and Nicole C Mullen did the initial work. All in all, I think someone fell asleep at the switch on this one.

The good part? It was loud. It rocked. And John, despite the sound problems, sounded good. (At least his monitor was up high enough he didn't blow anything today!) In fact, I'd say he sounds better than he has in a long time. I noticed in the WPF concert that he sounded markedly better with the older material--I presume this is because it's more his "style" and better tuned to his vocal ability.

There were lots of people there. In the thousands. It's a fairly large festival. Some were more into it than others, and there seemed to be a fairly large contingent of petheads. (I was the one in the green Pethead shirt, if any of you were there.) Greg stopped to have his picture taken with a couple folks and answered several questions before the show started. I didn't much have the inclination to intrude, so I didn't ask anyone about a new record, or if John and Greg V. were ever going to appear together on stage, or if he really was that tall or just used stilts most of the time.

The band had a lot of fun, and it was good to see. They've gelled, and it shows. They enjoy what they're doing, and they're all smiles on stage. (Okay, Bob was a little upset about the sound, I think, but so was everyone else.)

I really hope their show in MD tonight has a better sound tech. They deserve it.
0 x
DIA PISTEWS IHSOU CRISTOU

winterlens
Pethead
Pethead

Pictures

Post by winterlens » Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:20 pm

Pictures are up at http://www.ccil.org/~ethanm/pictures/pe ... index.html -- a review will probably be forthcoming.

If you want full stills, they're available from my server; take a look at teh world pulse festival spiel for details. AS a recap, the IP address is 65.24.125.161, the username is petraz, and the password is dd6108f3. Note that you have to support either SCP or SFTP for this to work--traditional FTP won't since Time Warner's firewall blocks it.
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1984

Post by LexingtonPethead » Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:13 pm

Winterlens, thank you very much for your write-up and the photos. I think it's so cool that Petheads make the effort to share their thoughts and experiences with other petheads.
0 x

winterlens
Pethead
Pethead

Post by winterlens » Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:19 pm

LexingtonPethead wrote:Winterlens, thank you very much for your write-up and the photos. I think it's so cool that Petheads make the effort to share their thoughts and experiences with other petheads.
Hey, it's no biggie. :) A full PDF is up with a song-by-song blow, though it's a little overdone, probably.
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1984

Post by LexingtonPethead » Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:35 pm

Just read you review on the PDF... great job! I hope to be able to see them this year. And hopefully, there will be a better soundman!
0 x

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by calicowriter » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:38 am

Your review of the Cincy show was spot on. The sound WAS terrible, but I thought the band handled it very well. I was really glad to get a chance to see this show as I had to miss South Bend last week. Of course, it would have been a lot happier if I hadn't had to be treated for heat exhaustion (that was SO emabarrassing), but I'm still glad I went.

Even with the sound problems, it was good to see them having a good time together. Last time I had seen Petra was the Indiana State Fair in 2002, and they did not enjoy themselves much that night. I think the crowd had been in the heat all day and just didn't respond. Being first yesterday probably helped with crowd response.
0 x
Bridget

"whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phillipians 4:8

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:57 pm

Cool pics, the guys all look good. :) Good review too.
0 x

Petrapraise
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Petrapraise » Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:15 pm

They have used the same set for this tour I would say. They used a similiar one at Night Of Joy, except they started w/ J&H. That was an awesome way to start!!!
0 x
[b]PLEASE VISIT:[/b] [url]https://www.facebook.com/Petrapraise/[/url]
Friend 'PETRAPRAISE' at Facebook.