Get to know ya (since I am new here)

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
reoracer
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

Get to know ya (since I am new here)

Post by reoracer » Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:07 pm

Thought since I was new here, I would share a little info about how Petra has affected my life and what my faves are... Hope some of you will do the same so I can get to know you better, too...

Jen
age 33
Indiana USA

Top 3 Fave Petra Albums
This Means War
Jeckyll and Hyde
Beyond Belief

Top 3 Fave Petra Songs
He Came He Saw He Conquered
Beyond Belief
Creed

When I became a fan
I saw Petra in concert the first time in the early 90's, and heard them before that when my youth pastor used to play them at youth group in the late 80's, but I wasn't truly a Christian at the time, just liked the loud music...

How Petra has affected my life
I gave my life to Jesus at a Petra show in Fall 1997!

What song do I most relate to
At the moment, Life As We Know It really seems to fit me well...

OK, anyone else?
0 x
Jen Savage-DeGroff

http://www.facebook.com/reoracer

SamScales
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by SamScales » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:59 pm

Hey Jen, nice to meet you and welcome to the zone. I've been on this zone for quite some time now...

Here's a bit about me.

Sam
age 45 (sssshhhhhh)
New Mexico

Top 3 Fave PETRA albums:
Beyond Belief
On Fire
Wake-Up Call

Top 3 fave Petra songs:
First Love
Creed
Fool's Gold
(There's really too many to truly choose from, but these are my most fave)
John Solo songs:
Inside Of You

When I became a fan:
I think that was way back in 84, when I first listened to PETRA and I heard their song "Bema Seat" and then weeks later went to church and heard a message on that same subject - I was like: WOW, a band that sings stuff from the Word - that's when I got hooked on their music, because I looked up the songs in the scriptures (as they gave the references).

How Petra affected my life:
Because of the Lord using this band for inspiration, specifically John's vocals, I was inspired to write lyrics and wanted to sing. This dream to sing and record came true in 2003 when my first album was released and now this year my second. It's been a blessing to see the songs touch people as we do concerts.

What song do I most relate to:
Actually it's one of John's solo songs: Inside Of You
That song so described me - my dreams were on paper wings and they got broken big time - but the Lord fixed it all and made it come true.
Amazing how a heart full of dreams through Jesus Christ becomes a soul made to shine His grace!!!
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:40 pm

Okay, my turn.

Three favorite Petra records...

Hard to choose from but:

Beyond Belief
Beat The System
This Means War

Three favorite Petra songs:

Beyond Belief
I Am Available
Don't Let Your Heart Be Hardened

How I became a fan:

The first Petra album I got was Beat The System, I've been listening to them since then. I saw Petra in concert for the first time with Greg in Irvine, CA in 1984, and I was just blown away by how wonderful his voice is. I saw Petra with John for the first time in 1987 and was blown away by his testimony and his enthusiasm...Not to mention the voice. :wink:

How Petra has affected my life:

The lyrics of their songs have always been a source of encouragement for me.

Song(s) I can relate to:

No Doubt, Rose Colored Stain Glass Windows and Judas' Kiss have really been on my mind lately.
0 x

Bolga T
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Bolga T » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:51 am

Hello All
I'm not really "new" to this zone at all; I'm only new in the sense that I come on here all the time but never post anything. This is my first time posting, and I want to send a shout out to JekyllandHyde since I'm from Ann Arbor too!

Three favorite Petra records (tough choice)
Beyond Belief
More Power to Ya
Jekyll and Hyde
0 x

reoracer
Pethead
Pethead

Post by reoracer » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:22 am

If we are counting John's solo stuff, my #3 fave song would be Show Me The Way :) Our worship team at my church has gone as far as working on this one (We've done a few Petra songs over the years, too!)

Inside Of You is an awesome song as well!

I really liked the album Shake much better than Unfit For Swine... but both are in the stack in front of my player most of the time...

Thanks, all, for sharing!
0 x
Jen Savage-DeGroff

johnathan
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1972

Post by johnathan » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:11 pm

ok here it goes I don't usually like to post info like this but you have alot in common with me.
Johnathan and my wife Meagan
me 32 her 25 lexington,ky

my 3 favorite petra albums are.
This Means War
Beyond Belief
Never Say Die
I love all of them but since all of you have only posted 3 then there it is

songs
Beyond Belief
He came He saw He conquered
We Need Jesus

Man you guys are gonna think this is wild,My parents,brother's and sisters all liked Petra,so growing up in the 70' and 80's i saw then so many times I saw them at Ichthus a few times and all but i have to say i really started listening to then and knowing what they where all about in 1986-87 my parents had bought me the only thing i wanted for my birthday a Bible and i was so glad to have it and they were like open it i turned to i think John or something and right there was the Petra tickets to Louisville, i went and i was blown away by there testimony and quality of showmanship that was the This Means War tour and later in the summer i went again to see them and it happend to be Ronny Cates first concert<He still remembers the concert. Anyway i have Been a fan for a very long time.

Petra has affected my life in so many ways, I thank the Lord for always letting me show who I am supposed to be I didn't care what people thought about me wearing a Petra t-shirt in school i was an athlete and people were curious who they were and i always let them hear there music. My friend Darron pretty much started lisening to them because of me. Ok i went though some very bad times with drugs, alcahol,sex whatever you name it, but something weird was i always listened to Petra. One night I did too many drugs and other stuff and they had to take me to the e/r . I will stop at that then tell you the rest about a song.

No Doubt, i was out at my parents house and walking soon after this could have been life threating moment And i was lisening to Petra and that song i had heard before but man it hit me hard. Not saying that i didn't go through harder times after but that song means so much to me. If anyone else wants to hear more about my life than you can e-mail me at [email protected].
0 x

epdc
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake Up Call
Pethead since: 1998

johnathan

Post by epdc » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:29 pm

tell me your birthdate!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shell, awwwwwwwwwwwwww yeah, you even took a pic of ronni and john lawry awwwwwwwwwwwwww I still love that picture :D

well, my turn:

Name: Eloisa (Elo)
Place: Hermosillo, Sonora State, M�xico.

Favorite petracd`s:

beat the system, unseen power, no doubt, from john would be shake. oh and not of this world. though i love them all!!!

favorite songs:
sorry, i can`t say, I love all the songs, is hard to say a favorite, welll one of it is light over the horizon, that song always lift me up when I need it.

you are in the right place has really encouraged me too.

well, I became a fan in 1998 (I was 13 i think) and saw the wake up call videotape in the video rent of my church, i thought "it looks cool" and after that the res is history hehehe.

I grew up listening rock music because of my older brothers though i grew up in a church where the pastor said it was of the devil so it was confusing since i loved rock.
well, with petra God revealed Himself to me in a new way: a God that is not boring, that likes to party and like rock music ya know. It was amazing to praise Him with my favorite music!!!

well, after I prayed for 4 years for meeting the band and God made it possible two years ago when i went to a first convention in WI and got to meet John :D God gave me more of what I asked for. It took a while but it was worth it :D, i went for second time last year and it was amazing to see john remembered me :)

I`m a dance leader at church and i got to dance in those two concerts some coreographies i arranged of the petra and john songs and it was a dream come true :)

I`m still waiting to meet the rest of the guys i wanna meet (John L, Ronny, bob and louie) but I know that with God everything is possible :)

Jen, so you are in your worship team? what instrument do you play?
0 x
...He will rejoice over thee with joy; He will rest in His love, He will joy over thee with singing...
Zephaniah 3:17

I love this verse!!!!!!

Facebook account: Elo palacios

reoracer
Pethead
Pethead

Post by reoracer » Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:14 pm

Our worship team (called "On A Wing And A Prayer") has a little bit of everything, and we play all types of praise and worship music.
On any given Sunday we have up to 4-part vocal, 2 keyboards, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, bass, drums, flute, auxillary, and sometimes we have other musicians as well.

My primary instrument is flute, but I also do auxillary percussion (shakers, triangle, cymbals, etc), and a few other miscellaneous things as needed.

I am sure I will miss a few, but as far as Petra stuff, or stuff Petra has done that we have played as well:

Beyond Belief
The Noise We Make (our director changed the order of some of the words, and it really messes me up!)
I Love You Lord
I Will Call Upon The Lord
Lord I lift Your Name On High (I rearranged the backing vocals for my flute :) )
King Of Kings

Other stuff we have worked on or discussed:
Show Me The Way (John helped me get the music for this one!)
Show Your Power
The Coloring Song (with a flute and recorder duet for the intro!)
No Doubt
Better Is One Day

Jen
0 x
Jen Savage-DeGroff

epdc
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Post by epdc » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:38 pm

Why my church doesn`t do that? :roll: lolol.

In my church we have played "Ancient of days", "Lord I lift your name on high" and "I will call upon the Lord" OH and "Take me in" and all in spanish, it sounds great!!!!
0 x
...He will rejoice over thee with joy; He will rest in His love, He will joy over thee with singing...

I love this verse!!!!!!

cvs2kids
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: All Fired Up
Pethead since: 1983

Intro

Post by cvs2kids » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:17 am

I've actually been on this board, and the previous, for a couple of years. I check in daily, but never get time to post.

Name: Chris

Fav Albums: Changes monthly, so for now.
Jeckyll & Hyde/PP2/God Fixation

Fav Songs: Falling up/Praise Medley at end of PP2/ J&H

Fan since 1983 (I was 11 when I saw them Live for the first time)

Petra has kept me on the straight and narrow path. Seems everyday I have a song of their's in my head. Even when I'm not at my strongetst spiritually, they've been my worship experience.

BTW, I've only seen them 5 times, which is about every time they've been within 500 miles of my location
0 x
Well done my good and faithful servant, you may enter with me into paradise.

PetfanInCt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by PetfanInCt » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:46 pm

Hi

Name Rich
Age 33
Location Southington, Ct

Top 3 Fav Albums
Unseen Power
No Doubt
On fire

Top 3 Songs (Hard One)
Sight Unseen
Life as we know it
Hit you where you live (tied with) He came ,He Saw, He Conquered

Fan since early 90's first Petra album was Rock Block. Was saved in 1998

I have never seen them in concert. Connecticut is not a hot bed for Christian concerts. Would like to see them...

Personall songs of Interest are Hey World, and For All Your Worth.

Godbless to all here
0 x
Thinking if I could see I would believe, then somebody said Believe and you will see.

epdc
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Chris and Rich

Post by epdc » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:12 pm

Chris: 5 times? WOW, I saw John twice and I feel proud of it hehe.

Rich.- I finally know your name!!!I have you on my birthday list :), see, where I live (sonora m�xico) is not a place of christian concerts either, so my saying is "if Mahoma doesn`t go to the mountain the mountain will go to mahoma hehehehe"
0 x

I love this verse!!!!!!

johnathan
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1972

Post by johnathan » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:44 pm

Elo, Meagan's b-day is december 26th and mine is febuary 16th
0 x

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by calicowriter » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:02 am

Hey Jen, I remember you from the REO message boards! I think you were my Secret Santa one year.

Three favorite Petra records...

Beyond Belief
Jekyll & Hyde
Unseen Power

Three favorite Petra songs: (This is really hard)

Just Reach Out
First Love
I Need To Hear from You

How I became a fan:

I started watching Z Music Television in the early 90's and was attracted to Petra by their videos and John's voice. I went out and bought a couple of CDs and the lyrics blew me away. I went to see them in concert in 1995, and all I could think of was, "I want what they have". I was raised Catholic and I had never heard of a personal relationship with Christ. I have since seen Petra in concert 6 times and John 3 times.

How Petra has affected my life:

Their songs and their faithfulness encourage me and remind me that it can be done. When I have allowed life to overwhelm me or I have gotten off the path, I remember Paul's exhortation to return to those things I did when I first believed, and I allow Petra to lead me back. Nothing convicts me quicker than listening to John's "Need I Remind You."

Song(s) I can relate to:

Definitely Jekyll & Hyde, as well as First Love, Think on These Things
0 x
Bridget

"whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phillipians 4:8

reoracer
Pethead
Pethead

Post by reoracer » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:33 pm

Hey, Bridget!

Yep, that would be me from the REO boards. It's a small world, isn't it??? Good to see you here. I am still in touch with Annmarie in NY and Arno in The Netherlands from those REO days... :)

Blessings to you,
Jen
0 x
Jen Savage-DeGroff