Petra review from Somerset, Ky (Shoutfest)

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
SolidRockStrength
Pethead
Pethead

Petra review from Somerset, Ky (Shoutfest)

Post by SolidRockStrength » Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:58 am

Greetings in our Lord Jesus the Messiah!

Petra was in Somerset, Ky this past Saturday of September 11th.
They were the first artist to play, but with personal bias included they were by far the best. They did a 30 to 35 minute set with around 8 songs. A very similiar set to the one they did at Ichthus. Petra left quickly after the concert (to my knowledge they were double booked) because they had to get on a plane somewhere and go many hours up north on Septmeber 11th. I hope the people at night concert recieved as HUGE a blessing as Petra in Somerset, Ky was. I truly look forward to the next time Petra returns to Kentucky.

The songs in no particular order

this mean war medley with it is finished
all about who you know
sight unseen
right place
test of time(johns mike went dead on part of the song, but he kept going very professional response because the problem was solved in what seemed like 30 or 40 seconds)
Amazing grace
the noise we make
Beyond Belief

there may have been a couple others but they ROCKED hard! Personally I am very grateful to get to see Petra in concert, God had used them to enrich and strengthen my faith for many years now.

PS one final note. As John was warming up I ask if ther would be another album. He said YES. I then asked if it was inpop. He said Yes! PRAISE THE LORD!
0 x
Shalom Aleikhem!

Habakkuk 3:19
The ELOHIM ADONAI is my Strength!

RockOn
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Jekyll and Hyde
Pethead since: 1982

I was there too!!!

Post by RockOn » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:53 pm

Hello there SolidRockStrength. Clint right?

I was the guy standing next to you for Petra's entire set. It's Terry from near Louisville (just in case you don't remember my name). :D
I met you and your wife while walking onto the grounds.

And you're right...Petra performed an AWESOME set! Since they were the first to perform due to another concert in another state later that night, they didn't have the huge number of supporters that they deserved. The crowd was still trickling in and getting setup in their respective areas. I sometimes feel sorry for the guys when they don't get as much crowd support due to things beyond their control.

There were also some sound problems which they handled very professionally. Overall the concert was great and Bob was in fine form!
You could really tell that the guys were having fun especially when Paul would miss an occasional drumstick toss and John forgot a verse to one of the songs. They always had a smile on their faces regardless of what was happening--and that's what makes them my favorite Christian rock band. They're just regular guys getting the Word out and having fun while doing it.

I was also VERY EXCITED to hear that they are planning a new album with InPop! It's going to be hard to wait, but we don't want to rush them too much. :P Jekyll & Hyde was definitely worth the wait! In fact, it's my favorite project from them and I've been a fan since 1982.

Take care and say hello to your wife for me. I hope to see you guys around in the future.
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1984

Post by LexingtonPethead » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:14 pm

Cool... Kentucky Petheads are coming out of the woodwork!

I was really hoping to be able to attend the Somerset concert, but just couldn't cut loose to get down there.

Johnathan, did you get to go?
0 x

johnathan
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1972

Post by johnathan » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:23 pm

NO I would have gone if I heard from you. Maybe we could somehow get them here. YOu need to e-mail me and i need to give you my # I play at southland tomorrow night at 6:30 I will be there around 6 or so.
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by LexingtonPethead » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:29 pm

Now I wish I had gone anyway. I really hope they get back to Kentucky sometime soon. I won't miss them again.

Johnathan, are you ever at Southland on Sundays? I think you mentioned attending a sister church somewhere, but if you ever get to Southland, let me know which service you are attending. We attend Sunday School at 10am and usually catch the 11:30 service. Maybe we could meet up sometime and our families could sit together.
0 x

RockOn
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Jekyll and Hyde
Pethead since: 1982

Hello Lex!

Post by RockOn » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:53 pm

The Somerset ShoutFest event really was worth the 3 hour drive from Louisville. And on a more personal note, the guy I met there (I later found out that he was from Danville) thought I may have been LexingtonPethead--and I thought that he may have been you. We had talked about perusing the Zone and since we were both from Kentucky, we each assumed that the other was you since you're an active participant here. We got it all straightened out before Petra took the stage though. Anyway, upon my first post to the Zone, I checked out your name and stopped by your website to see what you look like--in case you were at ShoutFest. You've got a good thing going there at the site and we seem to share a lot of the same views.
On a different note, I don't know if you were able to but, I was fortunate to see the reunion concert in Angola, Indiana a couple of months back. That was even better! You can't beat Lucas McGraw played live by the original members. That's really what spurred me to take the 3 hour drive to Somerset. The other bands were good, but Petra was my favorite. You have to respect a band that's been consistently and passionately ministering for 30+ years!

Take care and keep on rockin' in KY!
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by LexingtonPethead » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:47 pm

I knew I was missing much more than a concert by not making the Somerset show. Now that's something I wish I could do over. Thanks, Rockon, for your post... it would have really been funny if I could have tapped you guys on your shoulders after hearing my name to make a formal introduction. It's funny... sometimes you think the only people who read the Zone are the ones who post all the time because they are the names you see most often. It's amazing to me how many people visit the Zone - and better yet - the number of people who are avid Petheads!!

Thanks for visiting our family website... I've been so busy lately I haven't had much time to work on an update. But I'll eventually get to it.
0 x