First song you ever heard?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.

Is this a poll?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:45 pm

Yeah.
33%
Pole.
17%
Smock.
50%

Total votes: 6

e5c4p3artist
Pethead
Pethead

Judas Kiss...

Post by e5c4p3artist » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:48 pm

The teacher at the christian school I went to for one year in 6th grade was railing against Christian Rock and Petra in particular - a pretty typical 80s thing to do. So guess what we bright attentive students did?

Yep - ran right out after school and bought More Power To Ya. Actually my best friend bought it and played "Judas Kiss" for me over the phone. And that, my friends, is the first Petra song I ever heard (and the start of a life long obsession).
0 x

BForm
Pethead
Pethead

Coloring Song

Post by BForm » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:10 am

The first Petra song that I can recall hearing was The Coloring Song in about 80 or 81. The first and LAST Petra concert I saw was in 1983 I think, and I bought the cassettes for More Power To Ya and Not of This World. I wore them out in about three years, Greg left, and that's the last I thought of Petra until coming back in 1997. I've since purchased every Petra studio CD except Unseen Power. Just haven't gotten around to picking it up yet.
0 x
God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. - John Piper

r_karlsson22
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire
Pethead since: 1996

Post by r_karlsson22 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:00 am

"Somebodys ganna praise his name"

...still my favorite :D
0 x
https://twitter.com/RickardWidgren
http://AboutRickard.com
Instagram: rickardwidgren

charl
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by charl » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:51 pm

Run For The Prize. It was the theme song at our camp one year-the director there was an old Petra fan (one year we had I can be friends with you). Didn't know it was Petra until years later though. I wish I still had that shirt...
0 x

lucydog
Pethead
Pethead

Post by lucydog » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:55 pm

Beat the System

I actually got introduced to Petra through Columbia House records. I was in 8th grade and vaguely remember hearing about a band named Petra. No idea why. Anyway, I always had a soft spot for bands none of my friends had ever heard of, and had just gotten introduced to Christian Metal (Stryper, Bloodgood, Messiah Prophet, etc.), so I thought I'd give Petra a try. I had Beat the System for about 2 weeks before I started upping my collection as fast as I could (which wasn't easy considering I lived in a very small town in the middle of western ohio).
0 x

HudsonPethead
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1997

Post by HudsonPethead » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:06 pm

My first Petra song was 'Love' from Beyond Belief

Hudson.
0 x
https://t.me/pump_upp

Pethead1
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Pethead1 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:48 pm

So many kids around here. The first Petra song I herd was Why Should The Father Bother.
It was on a reckord and skiped. Boy, it was great. 8)
0 x
Those asleep will be awakened
Not a one will be forsaken.

3rd_DAY Fan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by 3rd_DAY Fan » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:18 pm

I believe the first Petra song was I Love the Lord. When I was 5 or 6. But I never really understood what rock was at that time. My first rock album was Jesus FreakI got it for my B-day. I liked rock from then on. I grew up listening to Mylon and Broken Heart and Dc Talk and my dad had Petra Praise. Which was I THINK his first C-rock record. I also grew up on Carman. His video Our Turn Now made me a Petra fan.
0 x

e5c4p3artist
Pethead
Pethead

Post by e5c4p3artist » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:40 pm

Hudson, you are missing Jekyll and Hyde in your animated avatar picture. You'd better fix that! =)
0 x

misterbob
Pethead
Pethead

My first song was actually...

Post by misterbob » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:33 pm

..."The Rock Block" which is the medley that kickoff on the CD version of The Rock Block. It was interesting because I had never listened to Petra before and was looking for a "Christian" replacement for my "old" music. Even more interesting was that I read the liner notes before I listened (which I almost never do) and got into the explanation of the backmasking that starts Judas' Kiss. Then, as most of us know, the backmasking is translated as the start to The Rock Block before Angel of Light kicks in.

I know y'all hate the compilation albums but in this case it was definitely what got me hooked!

See ya!
0 x
Sign of the Times: Prisons are Crowded...Churches are Not