CITS Petition Letter SENT!

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:53 pm

It would have to be a HUGE amount of money. The video is only a part of it. The audio tapes must be recovered for a complete restore as well. Who knows where those are. Probably all melted together, or trashed.
0 x

its231
Pethead
Pethead

this might work

Post by its231 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:38 pm

If you know who has one the masters then why don't you talk to that person and propose this idea. IF money is there motivation with this project being re released on dvd. Why don't we the fans try something like financing it out of our pocket to get use of the master whoever has this copy of the master. This a piece of Christian music history. It deserves to be remastered and reworked to be heard like it was back in 1985. I know the cost for something like this is astronimical and if it's fan inniciated we could at least raise the initial funds and god willing maybe somebody could come along and pick up the tab for the huge gaps. This is something worth preserving and it's very selfish and un christian to hold something like this back. I'm not in the band I don't know the whole story but all parties involved are grown adults and could work out something. This is the band at there prime in the 80's. If the fight is over money and how much just work it out please it's a huge waste and blow to christian music history not to hear something that these guys did back when a lot of people were giving them hell for doing something that was right and needed to be done. I've been fortunate to be able to view the video of this concert and it's an amazing concert. Please all parties involved whoever has the master let it see light. Remember as christians we aren't to be in disagreement with a brother in christ. IF there issues with who should reciever how much please just work it out like men of god. I know that is easier said then done. It doesn't matter who wrote how much of this song or who did this or that. Your all men of god just divy it up evenly something is better then nothing. Maybe be a waste of time even posting this. I'd be willing to give ten dollars as a start if others will do it. To some of Petra growing up was and still is a fond memory. I was only five when this concert was released. But I still like the music it's awesome. Worth preserving. This is Robert Marks and that's how I feel.
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:56 am

Wow! Robert Marks? I loved your cd World Gone Mad. That song "The Party's Over" was like my high school theme song!
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: this might work

Post by brent » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:20 am

You said:

If you know who has one the masters then why don't you talk to that person and propose this idea. IF money is there motivation with this project being re released on dvd. Why don't we the fans try something like financing it out of our pocket to get use of the master whoever has this copy of the master.

1. It is not his (technically) to distribute. Although he was directly a major part of the production, the rights belong to the label I suspect. And, since the new label bought the assets, contractual and financial obligations of Star Song, it would be up to the new label to make the call. seeing how they have to front all of the money, distribute, pay royalties, etc, etc.

2. For a complete remaster, you don't just need the copy of a master, you need the raw footage with the SMPTE timecode, you need the raw audio footage as well with SPTE timecode, so that it may be sync'd together. No one has the audio. Well, no one admits to having the audio. Let's say that.

3. The tapes, if kept by an individual, would have to have been kept in a proper climate controled storage, so that the tapes won't melt, stick, shred, etc. The tapes would have to be baked and transfered to digital one last time before they are disguarded.

4. If you guys raise about $50k, you would be able to cover the legals, the studio time, the materials, etc, etc for it to be done on the cheap. Then this person could take the project to the label and it would be their call. You could spend the money and they could sit on the video. There are no guarantees. It would be better to do this, than for someone to walk in and say, "Hey. I have this video of the live show", and they yank it out of his hands and say, "Thanks, leave now!"

You Said:
This a piece of Christian music history. It deserves to be remastered and reworked to be heard like it was back in 1985. I know the cost for something like this is astronimical and if it's fan inniciated we could at least raise the initial funds and god willing maybe somebody could come along and pick up the tab for the huge gaps. This is something worth preserving and it's very selfish and un christian to hold something like this back.

1. The Christian music industry and it's owners are funded by dirty money. They have plenty. It is nothing for them to drop money for this. They have enough to buy drugs, hookers, big vacations, etc.

You Said:
I'm not in the band I don't know the whole story but all parties involved are grown adults and could work out something. This is the band at there prime in the 80's. If the fight is over money and how much just work it out please it's a huge waste and blow to christian music history not to hear something that these guys did back when a lot of people were giving them hell for doing something that was right and needed to be done.

1. Ever think that some members want it to rest in peace?

You Said:
I've been fortunate to be able to view the video of this concert and it's an amazing concert. Please all parties involved whoever has the master let it see light. Remember as christians we aren't to be in disagreement with a brother in christ.

1. My, that's WAY wrong. We are to love one another. That doesn't mean agree with one another. Ever read about Paul? He didn't get along with one of his ministry assistants and gave him the boot. It's ok to disagree. Trust me, these people love(d) one another.

You Said:
IF there issues with who should reciever how much please just work it out like men of god. I know that is easier said then done. It doesn't matter who wrote how much of this song or who did this or that.

1. That's not how it works. Sounds easy though doesn't it?

You Said:
Your all men of god just divy it up evenly something is better then nothing. Maybe be a waste of time even posting this. I'd be willing to give ten dollars as a start if others will do it.

1. Ad about three zeros and you have a start.

To some of Petra growing up was and still is a fond memory. I was only five when this concert was released. But I still like the music it's awesome. Worth preserving. This is Robert Marks and that's how I feel.[/quote]

I agree, only I was just out of High School.
0 x

its231
Pethead
Pethead

not the right Marks

Post by its231 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:01 am

I'm Robert his name is Kenny. Wrong Marks by about a decade here. But I was in Junior high or so when Kenny Marks last major successful album was released so I was on the tale end of discovering his music. Just a coincedence that his last name is spelled the same way. He's a very taleneted musician I like this the party's over song to. I even have the absoloutely positively music video set. Good Music . Maybe this album see's the light of the day with the concert video if not oh well life does go on. At least the live album is still in print. That's better then nohting at all. Another has anyone else noticed it's like almost impossible to find contact info for Kenny Marks the Christian musician. The only think I"m been able to find is some PO Box online for Nashville. Last I heard he was working for some dealership in Nashville. Can anyone help me here? If so would appreciate it. Thanks guys.
0 x

Michael
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

masters

Post by Michael » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:25 am

Brent is right on about the technical issues of recovering masters of old audio and video... although I do think there are ways to shortcut a few things if the source material wasn't all that could be hoped for. BUT: the main issue at this point is that nobody that I know of (and I've done a fair amount of research) knows where ANY of the source material is. It's not unlikely that the film masters are dead, thrown away or stored somewhere that they are ruined. I don't even know if a master from a video duplication house even still exists, although if something like this could be located I think fans would be happy with a DVD that was made from a duplication master that was intended for VHS/Beta production, as logn as it's not worn out. But unless something turns up besides consumer VHS and Beta copies, I don't think anyone at any record companies is going to be interested in going ahead with it. A DVD pressed from a VHS copy of a video just really isn't what record execs are going to think that people will buy.

The few people I've talked to via email about this... Bob, Greg X., a few folks at EMI, and the original director of the video, all seemed positive (or in some cases, at least neutral, not antagonistic) about the idea of re-releasing this thing. But nobody knows where the source material is. Remember when Star Wars was re-released in theaters several years back? It would be like if George Lucas had sent the theaters film copies that he made from the old VHS that he had been keeping in his basement. People expect a certain level of quality from a DVD, and the quality just won't be there if you don't have good source material.
0 x
[url]http://www.GuideToPetra.com[/url] - [url]http://www.ScriptureMenu.com[/url]

[url=http://www.last.fm/user/TulsaMJ/?chartstyle=BasicPetraZone2][img]http://imagegen.last.fm/BasicPetraZone2/recenttracks/TulsaMJ.gif[/img][/url]