Petra's Not Hard Rock?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Petra's Not Hard Rock?

Post by Preacherman777 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:29 pm

According to the latest Petra newsletter, the labeling of Petra as a hard rock band is being called in question by JWS webmasters themselves. Granted they've done a few albums over the years that were on the mellow side, but overall, if this band ain't hard rock, than I guess Metallica ain't metal. :?
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

ErioL
Pethead
Pethead

Post by ErioL » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:50 pm

The only "hard rock" albums Petra has released are On Fire! and Jekyll And Hyde. They have hard rock songs, but IMO, the only actual "hard" albums are the two I listed. John and Dino's mixing doesn't help either (its not bad, but its hard to call something hard rock when guitars aren't upfront and in your face).
0 x

adrinux
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Wake-up Call
Pethead since: 1999

Post by adrinux » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:55 pm

did you ever listen to a petra album called by "Waka-up call"?
The songs 1,2 and 6 are very HARD. They're harder than on fire.
0 x
To learn recursivity, first, you need to learn recursivity.
Para aprender recursividade, primeiro, tem que aprender recursividade.

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Hard Rock

Post by Preacherman777 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:30 am

Both of Petra's first two albums were hard rock for the time they were released. Every Petra album from NSD to TMW had at least some hard rock songs. On Fire was pure hard rock and even pushed the metal envelope. Beyond Belief was hard rock, a good share of Unseen Power was hard rock and WUC definetly had some hard rock tunes. Both praise albums had some hard rock and Jekyll and Hyde is pure hard rock. That's a pretty good hard rock history if you ask me.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

johntheumfreak
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 2003

Re: Hard Rock

Post by johntheumfreak » Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:32 am

Preacherman777 wrote:Both of Petra's first two albums were hard rock for the time they were released. Every Petra album from NSD to TMW had at least some hard rock songs. On Fire was pure hard rock and even pushed the metal envelope. Beyond Belief was hard rock, a good share of Unseen Power was hard rock and WUC definetly had some hard rock tunes. Both praise albums had some hard rock and Jekyll and Hyde is pure hard rock. That's a pretty good hard rock history if you ask me.
what he said...
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:29 am

Led Zepplin was metal, Def Leppard was metal, Van Halen was metal all in their day. Petra's catalog now would be considered to me to be just rock. You have to look that the overall classification that the marketing people would use, or that the retailer would put them in. I most certainly would not expect to see Washes Whiter Than in the Hard Rock bin. It should be in the Rock or Adult Contemporary. For the most part rock, I would just call them Rock.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

i

Post by executioner » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:24 am

I think it varies from album to album with Petra. I would classify Unseen Power metal not because of the guitars but because of the drums, they have that metal sound. For the mostpart I would have to put them closer to hard rock than anything.

There are some people on here that keep on talking about WUC being hard rock, but I don't see it. I think it is closer in vein with adult contemporary then anything. Yes they have a few rockers(Midnight Oil, Good News, & Underneath The Blood) but those are not even near the heavy stuff Petra has done before and after that. Even though I like WUC alot I think it and ND were both made strictly for radio play and they both falied at it. Petra has never been for the radio IMO.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

ErioL
Pethead
Pethead

Post by ErioL » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:41 am

Petra metal??? When has Petra played metal? Theres not a single metal song on UP, and off the top of my head the ony "metal" song Petra has done would be Defector. Petra is a rock band, not metal.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:02 pm

I'm with Brent on this one.... to me, Petra is "regular rock."

"Rock" it's a subjective word... it means different things to different people.

I just wouldn't call Petra HARD rock.
0 x

johntheumfreak
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 2003

Post by johntheumfreak » Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:43 pm

petra means rock.....
0 x

epdc
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake Up Call
Pethead since: 1998

re

Post by epdc » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:30 pm

i thini hard rock is just a way to put petra on a rock type but even other bands, not every band is completely speed rock or heavy metal or punk rock or whatever (i`m trying to convince my brother to write a book about that lol he knows every kind of rock).

Every band, like it or not, of all the rock kinds that exist, they have ONE kind that shows up the most in their music. BUT is not all about that particular rock kind. Petra mostly have hard rock but it also have other kinds of rock ya know.

I think people just say they are hard rock so other people can get an idea of how the music sounds like.
0 x
...He will rejoice over thee with joy; He will rest in His love, He will joy over thee with singing...
Zephaniah 3:17

I love this verse!!!!!!

Facebook account: Elo palacios

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

t

Post by executioner » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:28 pm

Eriol,

Read my first post again, I did not say UP was metal, I said the drums on UP sounded closer to metal than anything Petra has done before. Lars from Metallica said one time in a quote that metal has nothing to do with the guitars it's all in the drums.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:43 pm

That's typical. Drummers always think that they and the drums are more important. Ask a guitar player and he will say the same thing.

If drums made the style, Metallica would be pop rock now. And, in actuallity, there isn't much of Lars playing on Metallica records, just like there was never much of Louie. It was all Bob Rocks samples in Pro Tools.

To me, it is a combination of the music structure, the tone, attitude and then mood. Bon Jovi had some metal moments back in the day, if you go by music alone. But the attitude and aggressive hostilities that originally made metal metal were not there. So, Petra to me was not metal. They to me were the Christian conter part of Bon Jovi back then.
0 x

Pethead1
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Pethead1 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:37 pm

I have always called petra the best and nothing more.
0 x
Those asleep will be awakened
Not a one will be forsaken.

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

yeah

Post by executioner » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:49 am

Yeah, I've always felt they were alot like Bon Jovi and somewhat like Def Leppard, and then some of their adult contemporary stuff sounds alot like Journey. Their early stuff in the early 80's sounded alot like Boston, but I think the album covers had something to do with that.
0 x