What if Greg hadn't left

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
leonardo d.
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Not Of This World
Pethead since: 2003

What if Greg hadn't left

Post by leonardo d. » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:41 pm

What if Greg X.Volz hadn't left Petra,how do you think songs like Jekyll & Hyde,Test of Time,All Fired Up and Midnight Oil would sound with Greg's voice instead of John's voice? Do you even think that they would even be doing projects like Jekyll & Hyde since Greg has a different type of rock voice than John Schlitt? just a thought :wink:
0 x
Will you be there when the big door swings open?

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1984

Post by LexingtonPethead » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:56 pm

I've often wondered that same thing. I've tried to imagine Greg singing all the songs that John sings, but I can't really imagine it. I think God had a purpose with how things turned out - Greg going off on his own and John stepping in. Personally, I don't think Petra could have gone in quite the direction they did with On Fire and Beyond Belief with Greg. Those CDs as well as others are much more suited to John's raspy way of singing. John is pure rock and roll while Greg was a great singer, just not a "rock" singer per se' the way John is.
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:16 pm

With Greg at the helm in the late 80s/early 90s...I don't think any of us would be here. Consider the sounds and the voices that were big...all have the aggressive rasp/rock (Bon Jovi, Sebastian Bach, Vince Neil...John Schlitt). Greg was kinda smooth like Foreigner and whatnot. Petra would be in the bargain bin a lot faster.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

johntheumfreak
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 2003

Post by johntheumfreak » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:56 am

I can kinda imagine Greg singing on Back To The Street (i guess because the music was recorded before john came in).....but that's about it........haha, they would sound so crappy if Greg sung on J+H :lol:
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by LexingtonPethead » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:47 am

Yeah, they couldn't have done anything like J&H with Greg. It wouldn't have worked at all.
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Greg

Post by Preacherman777 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:11 pm

I've always thought that BTTS could have just as easily been sung by Greg and even some of TMW, but that's it. After that, they totally left the style that Greg would have fit.

Had greg remained, we probably would not have seen anything heavier than those two albums and it was certainly the On Fire and Beyond Belief albums that were able to propel Petra back to the top of their game.

John was definetly the right man at the right time and I believe God was behind it all. Greg was and is an incredible singer and as far as pure singing ability goes he is one of the best I've ever heard, but he was ripe for a different time in rock and roll. Classic rock and roll. As much as I love it, it's reign came to end by the mid eighties.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by LexingtonPethead » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:30 pm

Right on, Preacherman!!

I had read that Greg had been offered the lead singer role for REO Speedwagon I think in the late 70s, and I think Greg would have been good singing that brand of music as well. But like you said, classic rock died in the mid-80's, and that's when REO began their decline.

On the other hand, John's voice is timeless. He is great at adapting his voice to the style of music that is popular.
0 x

ctwomn
Pethead
Pethead

:)

Post by ctwomn » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:31 pm

I do respect the fact that Greg was in the band! But if he were singing "sometimes I feel like Jekyll and Hyde"... I would probably laugh! Greg has more of an art rock sound and that has a specific place and purpose. John is just regular blue collar rock....after hearing what he(john) started out singing you really get an understanding of where he comes from muiscally and what he is about. Greg really was the best in the biz at the time he was in Petra. He has one of the best voices I have heard...but it takes a certian voice to do the kind of Rock Petra does now.
So having said all that...It was definalety God's plan for it to happen the way it did! If it had not my brother would not have become such a big fan and neither would I! LOL
0 x
http://www.guidetopetra.com
http://www.johnschlitt.net
http://www.petratulsa.org

charl
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by charl » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:58 pm

I also agree with preacherman. Greg is probably my favorite singer (and up there with Sarah Vaughn for unusualness, IMO-really!) but no he wouldn't have sang the type of music that Petra did in later years.
However I do think that arguement goes both ways.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

i

Post by executioner » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:33 pm

I might get blasted for this but just remember it is just my opinion. I think Greg is very overated. His voice really never suited the rock style. I think of him as more of a pop artist then anything. I liked the albums from the early 80's but it was solely for the music and lyrics. I never really felt like his voice fit in with what Petra was trying to do. IMO it was a welcome sight when he left and John came in. John took Petra to a different level professional wise. Remember it just my opinion so please don't shoot me.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Mexican Spud
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mexican Spud » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:12 pm

Remember it just my opinion so please don't shoot me

Alright everyone time to LOAD UP!!!!! WAIT TIL YOU SEE THE WHITES IN HIS EYES :shock: !!!!!!!! FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
[url=http://www.therightplace.bz/][img]border="0"%20width="577"%20height="109"src="http://www.therightplace.bz/images/downloads/Banners/TheRightPlace_577X109.gif"[/img][/url]

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by calicowriter » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:51 pm

Hey EXE, I've got your back! :) I agree totally. Nothing against Greg; I personally didn't like his style of singing. Now I don't like Peter Gabriel or Pink Floyd either, but that doesn't mean they don't have talent or a place in music history. And I think that those who say John is merely a rock singer are selling him a bit short. I've never heard a style he couldn't do, and do well. (Except for rap and IMHO no one should do it, especially if you are capable of actually carrying a tune.)

And, FYI, IF Greg ever auditioned for the REO gig, it had to be in 1972. That's when Kevin Cronin left and was replaced by Mike Murphy. Or, in 1974 or 75 when Murphy was ousted and they auditioned a couple of guys before deciding to ask Cronin to come back. Hopefully Greg wasn't the guy who threw up all over the manager's house when he came to audition!
0 x
Bridget

"whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phillipians 4:8

ctwomn
Pethead
Pethead

Post by ctwomn » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:03 pm

JS can sing just about anything...I remember hearing "Hand on my heart" for the first time thinking..What motown guy did they hire to do this song??LOL.....finally I figured it out! :)
The only style of music I think John would have trouble w/ is honky tonk...but hey...he might be able to handle it...but I don't know if I wanna hear that! :lol: Maybe he could do "I've got friends in low places" or something!!HEHEHE
0 x
http://www.guidetopetra.com
http://www.johnschlitt.net
http://www.petratulsa.org

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:12 pm

POW!!!! I got him, right between the eyes!!! Hahahahahaha. Not every one will care for Greg's style, and John's voice is better suited for their music now, but I can't picture anyone but Greg doing "Judas' Kiss" or "Rose Colored Stain Glass Windows." And as far as technique, I think Greg probably is the better singer. Sorry. :D
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Speaking of Mr. Volz

Post by brent » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:03 pm

Well, what would you think if I got Greg to sing on another Damage Control record. You know he can't sing as high as the old days. We don't play that high either. Now it's Drop C, D, DD, etc. What if he could morph to be current. Would you listen? I ask for a reason.

What if I had John Schlitt on lead vocals, and Greg on harmonies? Thoughts?
0 x