petra going to retire?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
sokkaNET
Pethead
Pethead

petra going to retire?

Post by sokkaNET » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:33 am

I just heard a ad in the radio, about the upcoming Petra concert here in the Faroes tomorrow (Tirsday 18th of april)

In the beginning of the ad Petra talked, and said when and where they would play ...

then the local speaker said that this would be a good and prob. last oppertunity to see petra live, as they were going to retire in 2006.

Is this really so ???
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:42 am

There has been no official (or unofficial) announcement of that... maybe the announcer is just speculating (guessing), since Petra doesn't get over to Europe THAT often.
0 x

sokkaNET
Pethead
Pethead

Post by sokkaNET » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:46 am

well .. they have been here before, both as a band and john schlitt solo ...

I very much doubt if they would make a radio spot, where petra even appear (and try to talk faroese), and then add such a thing .. if it's just speculation..
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:34 am

Well, whether it's true or not, they probably will retire someday...It would be unrealistic to expect them to be around forever. I sort of doubt that will happen any time real soon though. At this point, I'll chalk it up to speculation. :wink:
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by sue d. » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:43 am

I understand what you are saying, sokkaNET.

I'll see what I can find out when they get back.

Like Shell said - they won't be around forever, so it's altogether possible that retirement is in the planning stage. I don't know about 2006, but I'll ask.
0 x

petrarocksA2
Pethead
Pethead

Petrs going to retire?

Post by petrarocksA2 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:38 am

I don"t understand why retirement would come up if they are in the process of a new CD coming out sometime. :(
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:52 am

Unless it's a best of or something.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:54 am

I wouldn't get all worked up at this point; this is the first anyone has said about it. But you know, it is likely to happen one day folks. I think it's amazing they have been around as long as they have, there are plenty of bands/artists that started out the same time they did who aren't around any more.
0 x

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by calicowriter » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:34 pm

I sort of expected them to retire in 2007 when Petra would turn 35. While it is true I'd like to see them go on indefinitely, IF and WHEN they do decide to retire, I hope it is with great planning and fanfare. Putting out a new CD at the end of this year and then spending 2006 on an extensive retirement tour would be a fitting and fantastic way to end. (Yeah, I know, it's speculation, but it's difficult not to do it a little. ;) )
0 x
Bridget

"whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phillipians 4:8

ctwomn
Pethead
Pethead

hmmm

Post by ctwomn » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:42 pm

This is kind of a sad thought....Shell you are right...they will have to retire sometime.....but I don't think that means the end. I mean Bob...probably would continue to write or produce and John will still sing and so some solo stuff. I am sure Greg will find another band to play for. So even if this IS true....the petheads have nothing to worry about. I have heard John say many times that music is his life. And we all know...Bob could easily produce or write for some new band. So...DONT WORRY...K!
:lol:
0 x
http://www.guidetopetra.com
http://www.johnschlitt.net
http://www.petratulsa.org

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1984

Post by LexingtonPethead » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:50 pm

Here I go taking things too seriously again... :roll:

I hate it when people talk about Petra retiring. It depresses me. I keep thinking that on the next CD, Petra will get the necessary funding, promotion and airplay for them to make a BIG comeback in popularity. This is what I am hoping for, waiting for - PRAYING FOR.

I remember the heyday all too well... in the mid 80s through early 90s, Petra dominated. The dominated concerts, radio airplay, and Christian headbangers like me. Recapturing Petra's popularity, for me, would be like discovering the Fountain of Youth - I could re-live the days when I was between 20 & 25 years old and Petra was prime! Wouldn't that be sweet!!

They can't retire until the BIG comeback. I believe it can happen. :wink:
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by sue d. » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:33 pm

I hope it is with great planning and fanfare. Putting out a new CD at the end of this year and then spending 2006 on an extensive retirement tour would be a fitting and fantastic way to end
Oh, that WOULD be the way to go out - with a bang.

Judging from the LACK of fanfare over the 30th anniversary (CCM Mag did a ONE PAGE timeline piece and that was it!) http://www.johnschlitt.net/MediaMoments ... eb2002.JPG
and nothing as far as tour support or any other type of publicity - I wouldn't hold my breath, unless someone came out of the woodwork to support the project and mega-retirement tour.

Sadly, the Christian scene just doesn't support or appreciate it's founders the way mainstream music does.

Although...

I heard a story once - can't remember the source, but it was from a rock 'n roll magazine. Bill Hailey & the Comets - one of the founding rockers of the '50s... had their big hit "Rock Around the Clock." They were big in their day; heavy tours, thousands of fans....

The years rolled on, and eventually there wasn't a desire for their type of music. And yet - this reporter was staying in a hotel, when here in the lobby was Bill Hailey, still playing, still rockin' around the clock - to a small crowd of less than 25 people.

So I guess it happens in all genres... but God can still use the players - it just may not be in the way we - or they - expect.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:03 pm

Yep. They love ya then leave ya.

Oh well. It doesn't sound like I am going to get to make my Gaither-esque Petra DVD, with all of the members from the various ers's jamming. What a cool thing that would be. But, impossible it seems.
0 x

Historymaker
Pethead
Pethead

At the risk of going totally Sunday School...

Post by Historymaker » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:25 pm

It's important that we all keep in mind that 'going big' or a 'big comeback' by our standards (big tours, album sales, radio airplay) may not be the same thing as going big by God's standards. Some friends and I talk about it all the time... where people will say "I know God's got something bigger for me" or "God's getting ready to put me on a bigger stage", or the like. Let me first off make it clear that there is nothing wrong with wanting to grow in ministry and reach more people, provided the motivation is the standard of Christ and not our own egos or pride. Nevertheless, it seems that people never stop and consider that what they are doing in the HERE and NOW could very well be quite BIG. We look at bigger stages, bigger tours, bigger ticket sales and base that as a goal while sometimes never stopping to look at it from the perspective of some Guy who would leave ninety-nine sheep to go after one... and probably consider it a BIG deal.

I don't know if anyone here has ever heard of a band called Daniel's Window, but I admire them so much because this is a ministry that has been together for about five years now, and they completely fly under the radar. Despite being a signed band, they don't have high in-store album sales because they don't get radio airplay. But yet, they are on the road about 180 days of the year ministering to as few as twenty youth or as many as four thousand. They unload, set up, and load all their own sound system, lighting, etc. And I'm not talking two Peaveys and a truss of 8 lamps... I'm talking 6 to 8 cabinets per side, light trusses on 4 Genie towers, monitors on four mixes, and all the racks, amps, and bells and whistles you would expect from a band that HAS all the roadies and stage crew. And yet they do this over, and over again... realizing that the true measure of success is not based on album sales, or venue size, etc. This is just ONE example of a band that I've heard of... how many more are out there, doing the same thing? I don't believe the ministries of such 'under the radar' groups are any less valid than those of Casting Crowns, Steven Curtis Chapman, or any of the other 'big' names out there. And from a personal standpoint, I sure like the music of the dark horse groups a WHOLE lot better.

So long as the heart of Petra's ministry is in the same place of loyalty and devotion to Christ as it was when it all began, Petra is going to be fine whatever the case (big stages, little stages, retirement, 20 more years) based on such merit. There's my take on the whole tamale if anyone cares...

Just for fun:
I am sure Greg will find another band to play for.
Greg actually was gracious enough to fill in for Kainos for a time... perhaps he'd want to come back? Or perhaps there's a reason he only filled in 'for a time'... hmmmm....
Last edited by Historymaker on Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:29 pm

I am talking with Greg X about vocals and/or writing for another Damage Control project.
0 x