its kind of sad...

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
kngser88
Pethead
Pethead

its kind of sad...

Post by kngser88 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:56 pm

That inpop doesn't pay much attention to detail what a person who loves petra would like. On revival...it was no "noticeable" guitar work or writing from Bob. On Jekyll and Hyde it was no guitar solos and the songs were short. I am normally a blue grass fan, but I have followed petra because of their deliberate devtion to a God that gave them the talent. I am still in awe of Bob's guitar work, there is Good, very good, and great Guitar players...then there is Bob, he is one of a kind. Then we come to Petra:Farewell. It seems like this was just a "half thought up, spontaneous, lets allow them to do this so we feel good about ourselves and you don't feel so bad" album. If this was a true farewell album this would have been an album recorded in the spring probably same place, but would have been coordinated so more former members could have attended. Probably some of the participants would have been current petra, Volz, Lawry, cates, GHF, and probably a few more. It could have been 3 hours long. It could ahve been a double disc/DVD of Songs spanning the 33 years. kind if would remind me of a Bill gaither homecoming. One can't tell me that this product wouldn't sell. Could have been recorded in Ft. Wayne, IN and titled. Petra: Standing Together. The Biggest promotional part of this is that it would be The LAST petra concert. But I guess maybe I am dreaming. But I was minus one to age 6 when original petra first started playing...it would have been nice if inpop would have taken some effort to get these people back together and on video because I will never be able to see original petra play. And yes you will say I should be happy with what we get, I agrre and I am happy, but that doesn't mean things couldn't have been better.
0 x

winterlens
Pethead
Pethead

Post by winterlens » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:36 pm

It does amaze me sometimes how much Petra fans take for granted. I agree that more probably could've been done--if there was more planning.

I don't know the ins and outs of the industry, but it seems rather surprising to me that we're getting a record at all (even if producing a live record is financially reasonable for Inpop) and that it's happening so quickly. This wasn't even on the radar three months ago. Recording happens pretty quickly as a rule, but to get a record out this quickly is pretty impressive.

And there's a DVD coming. That's nice, too.

After Double Take, none of us really expected to see Petra make any more records; they shopped around for a long time before Inpop signed them. Be thankful we got three (four, counting the Spanish J&H) more records, that the tour has gone well and hopefully put some money in their pockets for groceries when this is done.

Inpop puts up with a lot of hoo-hah from the fans, and it comes off poorly. They're graciously providing a live record for a small crowd of people who listen to a band that doesn't make financial sense to keep on payroll. If you had six months or so to plan and make arrangements, yes, you could make a better parting record; but getting one at all is a nice treat, and a blessed sight better than the bootlegs floating around.
0 x
DIA PISTEWS IHSOU CRISTOU

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:28 pm

I was wondering when you'd jump in with one of your well-thought out posts. :wink:

I'll admit, it would have been nice if there could have been a
mega-reunion taping in Franklin or Fort Wayne with all the former Petra members, (dream on girl, too many people with too many clashing schedules to get to one place, and probably much too expensive also). But I'm glad for the CD and DVD. We've probably all done things at some time or another that could have been planned better.
0 x

BForm
Pethead
Pethead

Have A Thankful Heart!

Post by BForm » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:33 pm

I have had many thoughts on how the Farewell Tour and album could have been planned better. Had the decision been made sooner to do the album, it could have been done with more planning, more former members, a new song or two, and all before the tour actually started. This would have helped both the tour and album sales.

However, I think we need to remember two points. First, Inpop probably didn't make the decision to do the album until after they saw all of the interest in the tour. Second, Petra has a part in all of this as well. Had they gone to Inpop in early January, or late last year, and said, "Hey guys, this is it. We'd like to go out with some excitement and retire at the end of 2005. Let's get together and come up with a plan", that would have given everyone more time. Instead, the announcement was made in Spring that the December 17th concert was going to be the last.

In hindsight, maybe Petra should have waited until this fall to make the announcement that next year would be the last. But nobody knew they were going to have so much interest in a Farewell tour at that time.

BTW, I STILL think we could see something happen next year. Maybe even around the release of the DVD. When the booking agent says "call back in mid-January and we'll see then"......well.....we'll see.

In any case, I'm just thankful we are getting another album, and that Petra has a busy schedule and can feel good about how they are exiting the stage.....as Petra.
0 x
God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. - John Piper

Anton
Pethead
Pethead

disagree

Post by Anton » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:38 pm

No, I disagree!
I think the concept has perfectly come together. It really is to showcase Petra (the current band) before they disband forever. Having cates back for example would have been silly and put a real downer on Greg Bailey's involvement and committment. The fact they got Greg X Volz to sing on a couple of tunes is a nice sentimental touch, and have the keyboardist John Lawry back for a couple of songs without outshining the current band was done very eloquently indeed :)

I would actually have been quite disappointed if every song was flooded out with keyboards when thats not the current sound petra have. Nothing against J.Lawry but i believe they integrated him in with class and then rocked the rest of the songs in true Jekyll and Hyde live style.

Can't wait for the release - this is an instant classic!
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:45 pm

He. Yeah. The guys are the ones who didn't go to Inpop sooner. So let's beat them with a wet noodle, technically it's their fault things weren't planned better. :D :lol: :wink:

Actually, it's possible they may not have hung in there so long if it wasn't for their fans, so maybe it's their fans' fault things weren't planned differently. :lol:

Okay, maybe my logic isn't great, :roll: but I guess my point is it's useless to try to blame anyone at this stage especially.
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:09 pm

We've gotten almost everything we've wanted. All the time.

Labels are labels are labels.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

kngser88
Pethead
Pethead

Post by kngser88 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:08 am

I love petra...but this album to me is gonna be the worst..because you already know everything on the album..no surprises...everything you have heard...you need surprises with albums...without anything new the alnbum will be weaker with sales. That is what made CITAS a sought after album...there is songs on there that they never recorded before. To me if it was a real farewell album it chould have been there last concert. I REPEAT....I am still grateful for the Live john like I always wanted ...But it would have been great to not having heard any of the songs before.
0 x

winterlens
Pethead
Pethead

Post by winterlens » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:25 am

I'm sorry about how you feel, but I think part of it is simply that you have expectations for the project that couldn't possibly be realized. While I don't doubt that Bob has written more songs for another record, they're probably not finished.

It's rare to find something like "The Great I Am" in any concert--it was a completely improvised song! To ask for new songs on a live record smacks of unnecessary discontent, especially when it isn't Inpop's fault in the first place--the only ones you can blame actually belong to the band!

I think Anton hit the nail on the head. The live record showcases the current Petra. It hits some oldies-but-goodies by including former members and induces a good bit of nostalgia. It has an excellent set list (I for one am glad they left Lord I Lift off the record, since Bob didn't actually write it) and a lot of chemistry. It seems patently ridiculous to ask for more.

If your real disappointment is that Petra is done at the end of the year, we all share it. But don't take it out on the album. They have served well for a long, long time, and God's decided to give them a bit of rest. Enjoy the record; let it bookend the collection and pull it out every once in awhile when you want to remember. It has a bit more flesh and personality, a bit more zing, than a studio recording.

And when the DVD comes out, buy it, too. A live recording may not inspire hosts of people, but Brent's already told us more than once (I think) that live records don't usually sell to anyone who isn't a fan already.

At the end of it all, send a thank you note to Inpop for putting up with us, and for giving us a going-away present for the best band we know.
0 x
DIA PISTEWS IHSOU CRISTOU

kngser88
Pethead
Pethead

Post by kngser88 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:56 am

It's no wonder live albums don't sell...without new stuff. Not many pople will buy old stuff when they already have it. An example of why a new song or 2 are added to a collection. I believe that is why God has laid it on bob's heart to get out of ccm...the idea of being used. People are being used rather then used by God
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1984

Post by LexingtonPethead » Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:28 pm

Winterlens, that was an awesome post. No one could have said it better.
0 x

Kirkman
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Have A Thankful Heart!

Post by Kirkman » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:34 am

BForm wrote:I have had many thoughts on how the Farewell Tour and album could have been planned better. Had the decision been made sooner to do the album, it could have been done with more planning, more former members, a new song or two, and all before the tour actually started. This would have helped both the tour and album sales.
I agree with your thoughts on this. But I think when Bob and John decided this, they were making an emotional, tough decision, and the prospects for both an album and a tour seemed pretty dim.
Second, Petra has a part in all of this as well. Had they gone to Inpop in early January, or late last year, and said, "Hey guys, this is it. We'd like to go out with some excitement and retire at the end of 2005. Let's get together and come up with a plan", that would have given everyone more time. Instead, the announcement was made in Spring that the December 17th concert was going to be the last.
Just to clarify, at the time of their announcement, Bob was saying that he couldn't see playing later than November. Even their tour promotion materials said "now booking for October/november." Obviously, there were no dates put together at that point. The first solid dates began to appear on the calendar at the end of June... And as we all know, the tour was successful enough that they booked through December.

But you are absolutely right, Petra had the biggest hand in this situation.

--Josh
0 x
[url=http://petrarocksmyworld.com][img]http://www.petrarocksmyworld.com/ads/rocks_ban2.gif[/img][/url]
[b]Petra Rocks My World[/b] -- [i]a site for fans across the globe[/i]! With song lyrics, interviews, newsletter, messageboard, chat room, and more!

Michael
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

new mat'l

Post by Michael » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:37 pm

kngser88 wrote:It's no wonder live albums don't sell...without new stuff. Not many pople will buy old stuff when they already have it.
I'd say the opposite... whenever people see a CD, they automatically flip it over and see if they know any of the songs. This is more critical with things like Christmas albums, but I think the presence of a "new" recording of an existing song really flips people's triggers. I don't think that's why live stuff doesn't sell as well, at least not all on its own. But since I don't really have a theory of my own to relate... maybe it's because, I don't know, most bands can't PLAY their way out of a PAPER BAG live?? ...but other than that, I don't really know. I'll tell you, though, this one may not be new songs, but it sure breathes new life into some of the old ones. If you haven't heard Petra's "Amazing Grace" off this live CD, you just haven't heard Petra's "Amazing Grace."
0 x
[url]http://www.GuideToPetra.com[/url] - [url]http://www.ScriptureMenu.com[/url]

[url=http://www.last.fm/user/TulsaMJ/?chartstyle=BasicPetraZone2][img]http://imagegen.last.fm/BasicPetraZone2/recenttracks/TulsaMJ.gif[/img][/url]

philtvnews
Pethead
Pethead

Post by philtvnews » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:23 pm

I can't believe some of the things I am reading in this post. I'm reminded of the bible verse where we should focus on things that "build others up." I am EXTREMELY thankful we've even getting another album. When I found out that Petra was breaking up at the end of the year, I thought J and Hyde was the last Petra album period. When I saw Petra about a year and a a half ago at Ichthus and they played the rock medley, I was thinking, boy, would I love to get a recorded copy of that! Now we have 14 songs that sound well produced with the promise of a DVD to come later. I consider myself fortunate to be able to buy such a wonderful disc. Period. :)
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

i

Post by executioner » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 pm

Farewell is a great mixture of songs from Petra and I am really happy with the outcome of it. Amazing Grace is such a different song in live form. That song ROCKS! They have captured that sound on Farewell. Another highlight on Farewell is the rock medley. John's voice on Mine Field is the hardest rockin' voice I've ever heard John do.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!