Schlitt's vocal on the Acoustic Set

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Anton
Pethead
Pethead

Schlitt's vocal on the Acoustic Set

Post by Anton » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:00 am

Does anyone else notice John Schlitt's slight crack in his voice as he sings the lines to No Doubt and the verse of Love ?? (I havent got the CD in the mail yet, but i noticed this on the inpop download movie)
0 x

Toby
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1999

Post by Toby » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:19 am

I think it was not the best take with John's voice. And they played "No Doubt" to fast.
0 x

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by calicowriter » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:25 am

I think John's voice sounds very good, but yes, they had to use that take because he messed up the words to No Doubt on one of the takes. Personally, I wish he'd sung the whole thing just as he did on the tour because I'm not that big a fan of Greg Volz myself. However, I understand many are, and why they did it that way.
0 x
Bridget

"whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phillipians 4:8

SkyCaptain
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1991

Post by SkyCaptain » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:41 pm

John changed quite a few lyrics on the entire recording. Some of them were changes he's been doing all along (i.e. "Right Place"). I think some of his lyrical bloopers have become hardwired. :lol:

Mark
0 x

ctwomn
Pethead
Pethead

:)

Post by ctwomn » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:30 pm

LOL....You are probably right about them being hard wired! At the show i spoke w/ him and he said that did mess up some lyrics...but it would not be John if he didn't miss any! :roll: :lol:

So anyways...about the guys voices on the acoustic...

I felt like John did a pretty good job....although it did sound a bit tentative. You have to remember they did change the tempo of the songs and the fact that his voice was more exposed can make you uncomfortable when you are use to singing w/ loud guitars and drums behind ya! Greg's voice was rather nice...but shakey IMO..especially on "The Coloring Song!" "Grave Robber" was real shakey in my opinion and I am not sure why because at the show it seemed really good. I have to say that ths stuff is pretty petty...cause it was just a blessing to see them together on the same stage at the same time! It was priceless! Just my opinion!
[/quote]
0 x
http://www.guidetopetra.com
http://www.johnschlitt.net
http://www.petratulsa.org

drcoolguy
Pethead
Pethead

Post by drcoolguy » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:31 am

I know that it was stated that John had to go back in the next day to re-dub some of the vocals. I think to some degree these songs are so "automatic" that he tends to lose his place. I think that was the case in the (seemingly) 14 times they had to re-start Beyond Belief. As I recall he kept forgetting the first line of the second verse. I thought that was odd, but then I downloaded the handycam recording of one of their concerts and he screwed it up there, too. They just don't stop at concerts. :D
0 x
[img]http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/2153/petrasig0gb.jpg[/img]

ctwomn
Pethead
Pethead

Hey ya'll

Post by ctwomn » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:39 pm

Here's a quiz question

What song off of the Live CD did John mess up the words

1)Beyond Belief
2)Right Place
3)Midnight oil
4)Mine Field

What's funny is they did not go in and try to redo it.....LOL! I guess they just were in a hurry to get it out.
0 x
http://www.guidetopetra.com
http://www.johnschlitt.net
http://www.petratulsa.org

Anton
Pethead
Pethead

wow

Post by Anton » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:10 pm

WOw - so there are some stuff ups with the vocals on the CD. I should receive my copy any day now then i can tell ya the answer - i know those songs well and ill know if john sings something skew wif

:)
0 x

petrarocksA2
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petrarocksA2 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:41 pm

I don't want to be sarcastic but why are we critiquing the live CD? We have been begging for a live CD.
0 x

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by calicowriter » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:18 pm

Aww...John's little lyrical mishaps are part of what makes him so real and endearing! :wink:

Perhaps one of the most clever was in Chicago. During "Beyond Belief" instead of singing "There's a deeper place to go where the road seems hard to hoe," he came up with "...where the boat is hard to row." Hey, at least it rhymed! :D
0 x
Bridget

"whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phillipians 4:8

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:45 pm

calicowriter wrote: Perhaps one of the most clever was in Chicago. During "Beyond Belief" instead of singing "There's a deeper place to go where the road seems hard to hoe," he came up with "...where the boat is hard to row." Hey, at least it rhymed! :D
That is so funny :)
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:39 pm

:lol: :lol: That's the Schlittmeister for you. You gotta love the guy. That is a riot. :lol: :lol: You're right though, it does make him more endearing. :)
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:18 pm

I liked the faster tempo of No Doubt. It puts me to sleep on the album version. I'd like to hear a bit more edge to that one.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:00 pm

You're right though, it does make him more endearing.
OK, you two. I thought I'd hear "and it sounds SO CUTE when he does that."

Paul gets "cute." John gets "endearing."

Guess that's what maturity gets you. :P
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:52 pm

Oh, John is cute. But Paul is younger, so he's the one who ends up with the "cute" label. :D :lol:
0 x