Petra farewell CD review on cmcentral

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
petrarocksA2
Pethead
Pethead

Petra farewell CD review on cmcentral

Post by petrarocksA2 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:07 pm

We are all given a certain stretch of time with which we can shape the world around us. We must use this time to determine our purpose and decide the best way to fulfill it. And though everyone's life plays out differently, there are some points in life that are common to all of us. We all must decide when we're ready to begin the journey, what directions to go, and how to accomplish our goals. Equally important, whether successful or not, is knowing when it's time to move on and begin a new phase in life.

For Petra, the journey has left a musical legacy that has spanned over three decades and survived several personnel changes. As the band finally calls it quits, it's fitting that included on the final set list is the song "Test of Time," a song that discusses the choices we make over time and reaching a point of understanding whether or not we've made good use of our time. Captured live on 4 October 2005, Farewell brings closure to fans of the group that has played a big role in defining Christian rock music over the years. The concert features a number of songs that cover a large chunk of the band's career giving the set a sentimental feel as it should.

Some of the clear highlights include the reuniting of some of Petra's former members, Greg X Volz on vocals and John Lawry on keys. The set also features two ten-minute medleys, one rock and one acoustic, that tie together the vast musical library compiled over the last thirty-three years. The familiar melodies are certain to conjure up memories for fans both young and old. Unfortunately, the modern renditions aren't quite as crisp or punchy as they've been in the past. Sure, the music holds strong, but Schlitt's vocals have all but given out from underneath him and, though he holds things together for the most part, the strain is obvious.

Ultimately, the album serves as a solid reminder of why Petra lasted as a staple in Christian rock and modern worship for as long as they have. With a solid catalog of music and an endearing live show, the band continued to please fans and grow their fan base over the years. Despite a few issues with sound levels, a couple notes that make listeners cringe and some cheesiness thrown in for good measure, Farewell should be taken at face value for what it is, a tribute and homage to a chapter of music history that has come to a close. Few will argue that Petra passed the test of time. Farewell
0 x

petrarocksA2
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petrarocksA2 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:09 pm

I apologize. I didnt realize it was already posted here. :oops:
0 x

spottacus
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by spottacus » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:14 pm

Well I hadn't seen it before, and I enjoyed reading it.

I don't agree with all of it, but there's nothing unfair there, either.

Good to see the band getting some good pub, even if it's a little backhanded.
0 x
www.myspace.com/fisticmystic

kjunem
Pethead
Pethead

Would like to add my own spin on the Petra Farewell concert.

Post by kjunem » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:59 pm

I disagree with some of what the CCM magazine had to say about the farewell concert of Petra. First of all the concert goers were not in excruciating pain with listening to John Schlitt. His voice did not give out at all. He is a true showman! The concert was not campy at all they all connected with the audience quite well! They had the house shouting for more! Many of the concert goers held up signs to say farewell to Petra. It was a bitter sweet moment! We were glad to get to see them one last time however we will miss them terribly. The absolutely rocked!!!! They still had it after all these years and believe you me bands like Third Day could take lessons!!!!! The article in the CCM magazine was shabby and unprofessional! It made the magazine not worth the paper it was printed on!
Forever Pethead,
kjunem
0 x