What are you listening too

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
jimmye4563
Pethead
Pethead

Post by jimmye4563 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:35 am

Besides playing Farewell "to death", I've been listening to Reborn by Stryper; White Heart; Kansas; Foreigner-I even got into the mood to listen to some stuff by Kris Kristofferson from the 70's. I especially like Why Me.
0 x
"You say you've walked ten thousand steps away, but don't you know that it's only one step back?"

jeffreykbaker
Pethead
Pethead

Post by jeffreykbaker » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:24 pm

What I am listening to now:
Petra, Chris Tomlin, Jeremy Camp, Casting Crowns, Selah, New Song
0 x
jeffrey k baker sr

jeffreykbaker
Pethead
Pethead

Post by jeffreykbaker » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:51 pm

I forgot to mention that I recently picked up some casettes at my local Christian bookstore(they were morked down to 4/$1) I got a bucnh of Geoff Moore and the Distance-I'd forgotten how much I enjoy their music. I also got some DeGarmo and Key, Whiteheart and Mylon Lefevere and Broken Heart. I was good to hear some of the old music!

How about a music festival revival featuring the top artists of the 80's?
0 x
jeffrey k baker sr

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

y

Post by executioner » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:49 pm

We don't even own a cassette player or VCR any longer; I wouldn't know what to do with them.
0 x

jeffreykbaker
Pethead
Pethead

Post by jeffreykbaker » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:14 pm

No casette player...I still listen to my Stryper LP's on occasion.
0 x
jeffrey k baker sr

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

y

Post by executioner » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:19 pm

You know Stryper has released all their items on CD don't you?
0 x

Toby
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1999

Post by Toby » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:06 pm

e5c4p3artist wrote:
Toby wrote:My favourites at the moment are: Petra, Stryper, Toto, Krokus, Aerosmith, Scorpions... 8)
Hey Toby, I see you mentioned Toto. Have you heard their latest yet? If so, what do you make of the "talking to his lover" line in the song "Spiritual Man." I'm still undecided about that one.
Yes I've got the new one (Falling in between) and I'm lovin it. First of all I listen to Toto because they are great musicians. English is not my mother tongue, so till now I didn't care much about the lyrics. :D rock on
0 x

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:18 pm

jeffreykbaker wrote:I forgot to mention that I recently picked up some casettes at my local Christian bookstore(they were morked down to 4/$1) I got a bucnh of Geoff Moore and the Distance-I'd forgotten how much I enjoy their music. I also got some DeGarmo and Key, Whiteheart and Mylon Lefevere and Broken Heart. I was good to hear some of the old music!

How about a music festival revival featuring the top artists of the 80's?
Three of my favorite groups. I miss them all and I've always liked Mylon's voice. He's a preacher now. :lol: You can actually purchase the CD's at his website here.

Time for me to complete my stuff. I don't have more on CD.

I have not touched cassette in ages. I put most of my stuff on MD along time ago, and then eventually converted them to MP3/CD. Although I do have a bunch of soundtracks laying around I was considering doing.
0 x

charl
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by charl » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:10 pm

I absolutely will not let my cassettes go! Too many new ones to buy, plus I have many that have long outlived crappacious CD's half their age (which everyone said were just so indestructable when they came out).

But honestly, nothing beats shellac. :D
0 x
[url=http://www.picturetrail.com/char000]CIP[/url] -slowly but steadily coming along... [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party0011.gif[/img]

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:43 pm

Well I tend to keep any cassettes/lp's that I convert, but all of my CD's are converted to mp3, that way I can store the original away for safe keeping.

My wife had a CD recently that got chewed up by the CD player somehow. That is what I used to do in the past. I would take my cassettes/lp's and record them on to MA 90-110 minute tapes so all the wear and tear would be on them. Eventually I switched to MD, and then MP3.

Thing is although tapes can last, the magnetic data tends to dissapear over time and the quality gets worse. Plus there is always the chance a tape will get chewed up by a cassette player (happened to my "More" and "Leon Patillo Live Experience" cassettes).

LP's the needle digs into the vinyl.

At least CD's are no contact (to some extent). What most people do not know is that the label side is the most sensitive side, wherase the shiny side is better protected.

I know it seems a bit excessive, but alot of CCM stuff is no longer in print, or never even was released on CD. Although I have notice some music is available from download sites on the internet. More so than was available 3 years ago.
0 x

Petrapraise
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Petrapraise » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:53 pm

Petra still and the radio/ Top 40.
0 x
[b]PLEASE VISIT:[/b] [url]https://www.facebook.com/Petrapraise/[/url]
Friend 'PETRAPRAISE' at Facebook.

charl
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by charl » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:17 pm

Thing is although tapes can last, the magnetic data tends to dissapear over time and the quality gets worse. Plus there is always the chance a tape will get chewed up by a cassette player (happened to my "More" and "Leon Patillo Live Experience" cassettes).

But you didn't mention shellac. Fullest sound around. :P

Come now it can't be only me; doesn't digital music sound completely sterile to anyone else?
0 x
[url=http://www.picturetrail.com/char000]CIP[/url] -slowly but steadily coming along... [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party0011.gif[/img]

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:29 pm

charl wrote:

But you didn't mention shellac. Fullest sound around. :P

Come now it can't be only me; doesn't digital music sound completely sterile to anyone else?
Well I wont get in the whole LP vs Tape vs CD vs MP3 vs anything else that exists that is out there, but here is my experience.

Anything analog has a certain distinctness to it due to the format it is in. LP for example depending on your record player has the 60hz hum, certain frequencies come out stronger than other (probably dependant on the needle and quality of player). For some reason songs at the end of an LP tend to sound worse (kinda hard to explain cause I'm not familar with the technological terms). Then you got pops, skips, and other "fun" anomolies.

Tape.. Well you have the usual hiss and personally I hate dolby, it just makes things sound flat (the higher frequencies??). With tape you have the same issue. Certain frequencies come out stronger than other. Then there is the physical contact of the tape to the rollers and the head which can potentially damage the cassette.

CD ok now I know that people say CD does not sound as warm as an LP. But sometimes I wonder if it has more to do with the album's mix. Most albums back in the day were mixed differently and probably to some extent with LP's and tapes maybe in mind. One thing I noticed when CD's first came out, alot of the mixes just did not sound very good. Nowadays mixing is probably done with CD more in mind, or even higher formats (sorry CD is kinda my limit at the moment). Then you have all that compression junk they do that makes songs sound like crap and ruin any type of subtlety a song may have.

Then of course there are the radio mixes. I'm not sure if they are designed to just sound better on radio, or just made to be more radio friendly. But that's a whole nother story.

MP3 mixes are a whole beast in of them selves since it is a subtractive type of compression and depends on the compression library used (for example lame, etc), ratio, and ten million other different factors.

Thing is, the more I listen to an LP or Tape the worst they are gonna sound over time. At least a CD or MP3 is the same each time I listen to it. Personally can live without the usual hum, pop, click, and hiss one hears with analog formats.

Anyways I'm sure someone more familar with the industry from the studio side could hash thru what I say and analyze it to the hilt. I certainly do not have "golden ears". In fact I'm partialy deaf in my right ear. But those are just my personal observations from what little I know.

BTW. What is shellac anyways?
0 x

jmhasty
Pethead
Pethead

Almost Home or Keep on walkin???????????????????

Post by jmhasty » Mon May 08, 2006 10:30 am

Petra24 wrote:Lots of sports talk radio and in case my brother sees this.....Sonrise!

Ok i finally saw this.................... My only question would be, can you sing these songs while falling down trying to wave a runner home from third???????????????? :wink:
0 x

lucianotaz
Pethead
Pethead

I am listening to

Post by lucianotaz » Mon May 08, 2006 10:44 am

TOTO - Falling in Between
Whiteheart - Nothing but the best - Radio and Rock Classics
Plumb - Chaotic Resolve

In Whitecross site we have this good news:

March 21, 2006
Whitecross to begin writting new music
THE NEWS EVERYONES BEEN WAITING FOR.... Rex Carroll and Scott Wenzel are working on material for a new Whitecross album. Word has it that it's relatively heavy.
0 x