Oops!

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
axelegend
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 2001

Oops!

Post by axelegend » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:10 pm

I received an advance copy of the Star Song/EMI compilation The Ultimate Collection that is released tomorrow, and just now noticed a slight mishap with it.

Even though Bob Hartman makes reference to it in his liner notes, and even though the credits reference it as well, Petra Praise: The Rock Cries Out is NOT represented in the collection. Here is why: the liner notes refer to Bob's song "I Love The Lord" from the first praise album, but the actual CD features the song "I Love You, Lord" from Petra Praise 2: We Need Jesus. It's only a very slight mistake, and is actually understandable, considering the song titles are very similar.

As for the rest of the compilation, Bob did a good job with selecting the track list and - although very brief - his liner notes are an interesting read. Of course, there are plenty of other songs that could have very easily been part of the "ultimate" Petra collection - such as some of my favorites "Sleeping Giant", "Underground", "Hit You Where You Live", "Counsel Of The Holy", and many others. However, with 19 studio albums and 2 official live recordings released over a span of 31 years, it would be difficult to choose 33 tracks that make the "ultimate" Petra collection. In reality, the "ultimate" Petra collection is the band's ENTIRE catalog. :wink:

The collection is a good listen, and does seem to flow rather nicely. For anyone who may just be discovering Petra for the first time, I would recommend this compilation over any other one, simply for the fact that it covers most of the band's musical career and all 4 record labels (Myrrh, Star Song, Word, Inpop). For longtime Petheads who already own all of Petra's albums, The Ultimate Collection offers nothing new or rare (I would love to see a compilation sometime with remastered versions of "Who Do You Listen To" and some of the other rare Petra non-album recordings), although as I already mentioned, Bob's notes are a quick yet interesting read.
0 x
Christopher L. Bayda
baydamusic.com
facebook | twitter

Anton
Pethead
Pethead

bummer

Post by Anton » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:48 pm

Bummer - i'd much rather have "I Love the Lord" on there than the softer "I Love You Lord" --- can't believe they made a simple mistake like that - shocking. Obviously Bob wanted PP1 I love the Lord on there and some guy mastering the tracks got it wrong and so put PP2 I Love You Lord on there instead, even though all the package says PP1 is on the disc.
What a con job ?!!
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

i

Post by executioner » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:51 am

There is also some mistakes on years the albums were released, but I guess we should get use to not getting our best from Petra. I felt there was way too many ballads on there. I'll be honest a pretty well guess that Bob didn't have a hand in picking these songs like they say, because I know for a fact that some of Bob's favs are left off.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:21 am

Actually, Bob did pick these songs. I also didn't believe a thing that a record company would take the trouble to ask Bob to participate in this record, so I asked Bob and he replied that he did pick the songs and that he did write the liner notes himself. He told me that he picked songs that were in some way important in Petra's history.
0 x

yamasaaaki har har
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

This means more!!

Post by yamasaaaki har har » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:42 pm

I'm not at all interested in the ultimate collection anyway - for the most part, I do not like greatest hits albums becuase so many of my personal favorites are not included. Plus, I'm kind of appalled that yet another Petra hits compiliation has been released, since there have been way too many of them already! When I first found out about this, I thought, "are you kidding me?" Hopefully Petra will make more money from this than the record company, though I kinda doubt it. This just seems like greed to me.
0 x
[size=150]Ñ

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: bummer

Post by brent » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:04 pm

Anton wrote:Bummer - i'd much rather have "I Love the Lord" on there than the softer "I Love You Lord" --- can't believe they made a simple mistake like that - shocking. Obviously Bob wanted PP1 I love the Lord on there and some guy mastering the tracks got it wrong and so put PP2 I Love You Lord on there instead, even though all the package says PP1 is on the disc.
What a con job ?!!
Mastering engineers aren't to blame. I bet the guy who mastered didn't even know Petra. Sounds like a brain fart on the writing side to me. The way masters are logged, etc., I bet the wrong one was pulled, or it was mislabeled or something. We don't know what happened, nor does it change anything.
0 x

St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:42 pm

Great...another reason I will not buy this "Ultimate Collection". :roll:

1) Now that "little" mistake means 3 Petra albums are not represented...PETRA PRAISE (THE ROCK CRIES OUT), GOD FIXATION, and REVIVAL.

2) As I pointed out in a previous thread...the song-per-album ratio is skewed. 4 songs each from BEAT THE SYSTEM and BEYOND BELIEF, but only one from JEKYLL & HYDE...their strongest album in years?

3) Since I only have interest in the John Schlitt material, it would be a waste of $$$ to purchase a 2-disc set with one whole disc being Volz material.

4) I agree with Yamasaaaki...this makes another Petra "greatest hits" collection released, and there are too many of them already.

I think I'll just stick to buying individual CDs. My next Petra CD I'll probably buy is REVIVAL. This will be my sixth by them...I own BEYOND BELIEF, JEKYLL & HYDE, ON FIRE!, GOD FIXATION, and FAREWELL already.
0 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:32 am

If you count The Praise Collection as a greatest hits records, this is Petra's 13th greatest hits album!! And they only have 20 studio albums to provide the songs (not counting both live and both Spanish records).

Check http://home.filternet.nl/~p.th.vanwinge ... petra.html for a full overview of all Petra's albums, including greatest hits records.
0 x

BriGuyPEI
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

Post by BriGuyPEI » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:41 am

St_Augustines_Pears wrote:1) Now that "little" mistake means 3 Petra albums are not represented...PETRA PRAISE (THE ROCK CRIES OUT), GOD FIXATION, and REVIVAL.
Don't forget that Come and Join Us is also not represented.
0 x

Michael
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Praise

Post by Michael » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:45 am

The Praise Collection is not really a "greatest hits" deal... it's a repackaging of previously-released material. In fact, it looks to me like they just took the two original CDs, case and booklet and all, and stuck 'em in a cardboard box. Actually a really good deal if you don't have them already. I haven't actually seen a copy out of the box... I already have 'em of course (in fact, I think we have either two or three copies of Petra Praise between us, plus the tracks-only version).

The differences between this compilation and the previous ones are that this one truly was selected by Bob himself, and most of the other ones were so similar to each other in song content that it wasn't even funny. This one deserves to be at LEAST as popular as the box set from the 90's, and the box set is still sought-after by collectors.
0 x
[url]http://www.GuideToPetra.com[/url] - [url]http://www.ScriptureMenu.com[/url]

[url=http://www.last.fm/user/TulsaMJ/?chartstyle=BasicPetraZone2][img]http://imagegen.last.fm/BasicPetraZone2/recenttracks/TulsaMJ.gif[/img][/url]

axelegend
Pethead
Pethead

Post by axelegend » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:28 am

Michael wrote:The Praise Collection is not really a "greatest hits" deal... it's a repackaging of previously-released material. In fact, it looks to me like they just took the two original CDs, case and booklet and all, and stuck 'em in a cardboard box.
Yes, both CDs are simply repackaged in the new slip case box. However, there are NO liner notes in either of the two albums, aside from a simple track listing. The booklet for the original release of PP2 had the sheet music and lyrics for each of the songs, which are not present in the repackaged Praise Collection.
0 x
Christopher L. Bayda
baydamusic.com
facebook | twitter

charl
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by charl » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:59 pm

BriGuyPEI wrote:
St_Augustines_Pears wrote:1) Now that "little" mistake means 3 Petra albums are not represented...PETRA PRAISE (THE ROCK CRIES OUT), GOD FIXATION, and REVIVAL.
Don't forget that Come and Join Us is also not represented.
Yesh, it appears they have included the crappy Beat the System version of God Gave Rock and Roll to You. A pox on those who made the choices for this album! A pox I say!

Anyone who would choose the BTS version and NOTHING from Come and Join us deserves poxing more than anyone I know. :evil: :evil:

And I cannot and will not believe that Bob actually picked them. So there.
0 x
[url=http://www.picturetrail.com/char000]CIP[/url] -slowly but steadily coming along... [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party0011.gif[/img]

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

i

Post by executioner » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:11 pm

If he picked them I would be shocked. You something I noticed all the songs that were picked were either released to radio or Petra attempted to have them released on radio. Another sign that Bob didn't pick these.
0 x

axelegend
Pethead
Pethead

Post by axelegend » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:53 pm

Bob did indeed choose the songs, and is also credited as executive producer on the Ultimate Collection. He chose each song because of its significance in Petra history (as someone else already posted) - and we spoke (albeit very briefly) about the compilation backstage, prior to the Petra show for which I was promoter.

In my own opinion, the "ultimate" Petra collection would be at least 4 CDs long, because there are so many different strong tracks from all of the band's official releases that it would be nearly impossible for me to pick and choose. I'm certain it was difficult for Bob to sift through 31 years' worth of recorded music and choose what should be included as part of the "ultimate" 2CD collection.
0 x
Christopher L. Bayda
baydamusic.com
facebook | twitter

St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:36 pm

Thanks for the info, BriGuyPEI.

So, let's see...a "greatest hits" collection that does not include ANY songs from 4 albums...COME AND JOIN US, PETRA PRAISE: THE ROCK CRIES OUT, GOD FIXATION, and REVIVAL.

A career-spanning, "ultimate collection" should have at least one song from each album. Therefore, I will not be spending my $$$ on this greatest hits package. Too bad, so sad. :roll:
0 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"