CITAS DVD for sale on Ebay

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
jeffreykbaker
Pethead
Pethead

CITAS DVD for sale on Ebay

Post by jeffreykbaker » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:16 pm

Has anyone seen the CITAS DVD listed on Ebay? Is this legal?
0 x
jeffrey k baker sr

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:44 pm

No and NO!
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

i

Post by executioner » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:05 am

No I have not seen it, but it is legal in 2 ways.

1. If the seller has an original copy of it on VHS or laser disc.

2. If the seller is not making a profit and is just recouping the expenses of shipping/handling.

If these 2 things do not apply than no it is not legal.
0 x

winterlens
Pethead
Pethead

Re: i

Post by winterlens » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:01 am

executioner wrote:No I have not seen it, but it is legal in 2 ways.

2. If the seller is not making a profit and is just recouping the expenses of shipping/handling.

I'm pretty sure that #2 is ALWAYS illegal regardless of profit, because the seller is violating copyright law. Fair use permits you to make copies of what you own for your personal use (e.g., archives, et c.). But you can't give those copies away (essentially #2) without violating copyright law.
0 x
DIA PISTEWS IHSOU CRISTOU

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: i

Post by executioner » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:27 am

winterlens wrote:
executioner wrote:No I have not seen it, but it is legal in 2 ways.

I'm pretty sure that #2 is ALWAYS illegal regardless of profit, because the seller is violating copyright law. Fair use permits you to make copies of what you own for your personal use (e.g., archives, et c.). But you can't give those copies away (essentially #2) without violating copyright law.
In 2004 Aerosmith brought a lawsuit against an individual that was doing that on his own personal web site and the judge sided with the individual because the person was not making a profit and he already had bought an original copy of what he was shipping to other people. Aerosmith declined to take it to a higher court for reasons I'm not sure. For awhile this story was on Aerosmith's web site but I don't know if it is still there in archives. Also another point I believe why the judge sided with this guy was because the product was out of print and he said that Aerosmith should make it available to the public if they did not want this to happen.

BTW Dave Mathews, No Doubt and other artists have lost court battles for some of the same reasons in the last few years.
0 x

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:18 pm

I thought someone mentioned earlier that the aerosmith case dealt with bootlegs? Which is different from a copy of an actual officially released product.

Also since the product is being sold on EBAY of all places, where the HIGHEST bid wins, then the 2nd answer is unequivocally NO. Unless of course the seller is giving away his "original" VHS tape ( :lol:) as well.
0 x

jeffreykbaker
Pethead
Pethead

Post by jeffreykbaker » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:26 pm

This seller is definitely making money. The bid is at $40 with 3 days and 10 hours left to go. I just wish they could be released legally....but I know the answer is no it will never happen.
0 x
jeffrey k baker sr

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:53 pm

Report it like I did.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/

This person in Richmond, Melbourne, Australia has sold more than 100 copies already.
Last edited by Dan on Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:40 am

petrafan1 wrote:i got an email from bob hartman that said he is in talks to release citas on dvd but it would have to be done from vhs since the master copy is lost. from the way he talks it is jusy a matter of time.
That would be nice, just to be able to obtain it in a legal capacity. I could then convert it myself if need be. I still see no reason why someone couldn't convert it from VHS to DVD though. It's not that hard to do and you'd be surprised at how decent the quality is. Adding chapter stops and creating menu's is just as easy.

I'll be the first to say I do not know a whole lot about distribution (or the legalities of it) but I've seen alot of older christian artists making stuff available on their own web sites. Maybe Bob could do that. In fact maybe him and John can get together and record a couple home studio "unnoficial" petra songs. :lol:

Oh, and danielaussie... that url is killing this thread... any way you could shrink it up a little? ;)
0 x

jeffreykbaker
Pethead
Pethead

Post by jeffreykbaker » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:34 am

I have e-mailed the seller and asked him where he obtained permission to make the CITAS DVD. I am awaiting a reply. I hope the information about CITAS being re-released is true. Great music should never be discontinued. There are always new generations to enjoy it.
0 x
jeffrey k baker sr

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:07 am

greenchili wrote:I thought someone mentioned earlier that the aerosmith case dealt with bootlegs? Which is different from a copy of an actual officially released product.

Also since the product is being sold on EBAY of all places, where the HIGHEST bid wins, then the 2nd answer is unequivocally NO. Unless of course the seller is giving away his "original" VHS tape ( :lol:) as well.
Actually over the last ten years Aerosmith has probably been in court more than they been out on tour because of lawsuits. They've had mulitple lawsuits going at one time in the late 90's. The one I am talking about was with one individual and his little web site about him making copies of original material that he had legally bought and but they have since gone out of print.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:09 am

jeffreykbaker wrote:This seller is definitely making money. The bid is at $40 with 3 days and 10 hours left to go. I just wish they could be released legally....but I know the answer is no it will never happen.
If he is making money than what he is doing is illegal by copyright laws. I'm surprised Ebay hasn't shut him down yet.
0 x

jeffreykbaker
Pethead
Pethead

Post by jeffreykbaker » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:00 pm

The CITAS DVD has been removed from EBAY.
0 x
jeffrey k baker sr

darthpethead
Pethead
Pethead

Post by darthpethead » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:23 am

I dont see what the big deal is. I'd pay good money to obtain a copy. I never did see the big deal about not reproducing of music. Now I wouldn't sell something like that on ebay. If anything I'd give a copy away. My point is bands like Aerosmith have lots of money anyway.
0 x
Holy Moley

Life_AWKI
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Life_AWKI » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:00 pm

darthpethead wrote:I dont see what the big deal is. I'd pay good money to obtain a copy. I never did see the big deal about not reproducing of music. Now I wouldn't sell something like that on ebay. If anything I'd give a copy away. My point is bands like Aerosmith have lots of money anyway.
And if your boss tomorrow said that he was not paying you anymore since you had worked there for so long and were probably rich anyway, that would be OK with you?
0 x