Fav petra songs poll #16 (Petra Praise 2: We Need Jesus)

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.

What is your favorite song from the album "Petra Praise 2: We Need Jesus"

Poll ended at Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:38 pm

Song Of Moses
No votes
Lord, I Lift Your Name On High
5%
Be Of Good Cheer
25%
Show Your Power
10%
The Holiest Name
No votes
Ancient Of Days
15%
I Waited For The Lord
15%
Lovely Lord
10%
(Only By Grace, To Him Who Sits On The Throne, You Are Holy)
5%
We Need Jesus
15%

Total votes: 20

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Fav petra songs poll #16 (Petra Praise 2: We Need Jesus)

Post by greenchili » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:38 pm

With the recent ending of Petra's 33 year music ministry I thought it'd be kind of interesting to start a series of polls on favorite songs. Starting with their first album and working to the last. I figured I'd do an album each week.

So for those interested, get out your petra CD's and start listening. Do it now!! Listening is NOT optional!!! :P

Voting for last weeks album "No Doubt" has completed.

Here are the results.

Think Twice [ 10 ]
No Doubt (#1 single) [6]
Right Place [6]
Enter In [3]
Heart Of A Hero [2]
More Than A Thousand Words [1]
Sincerely Yours [1]
Think On These Things [1]
For All You're Worth [1]
Two Are Better Than One [0]
We Hold Out Our Hearts To You [0]

The winner is easily "Think Twice" with 10 votes. Could this have been influenced by the recent inclusion on the "Rock Medley"? ;) j/k. "No Doubt" and "Right Place" hold a distant 2nd place with 6 votes, and "Enter In" with an even more distant 3rd place of 3 votes.

Next up! "Petra Praise 2: We Need Jesus" released in 1997.

A few minor notes.

1) Now this is what a Praise album should sound like. Petra all the way!
2) Say bye bye to Jim Cooper
3) David Lichens is listed in the credits, but I'm pretty sure he was gone by time of release.
4) I think at this time John's solo tour band members joined (Pete Orta, Kevin Brandow, Lonnie Chapin)

I was pleasantly surprised by this one, when I heard Petra was doing another praise album and of the departure of some band members I thought this was it, it's over, Petra has jumped the shark. Especially considering I did not really like their 1st praise album, despite the fact that it sold well.

As usual I only had room for ten entries so I had to remove two. Hopefully I didn't trample on anyones favorites. :lol: The songs are listed below.

I Love You Lord
Let Our Voices Rise Like Incense

Alrighty then! Have at it!

Note to self: Add in pre-cast vote for "Be Of Good Cheer"
0 x

jimmye4563
Pethead
Pethead

Post by jimmye4563 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:18 am

My vote goes to Lord, I Lift Your Name On High, but, I could have also voted for Song Of Moses Rev. 15:3-4; The Holiest Name; Ancient Of Days; Lovely Lord, or We Need Jesus. Those are my favorites. I was totally and pleasantly surprised when I found out that Lou Gramm(of Foreigner fame) sang on We Need Jesus. I thought that was so cool!
0 x
"You say you've walked ten thousand steps away, but don't you know that it's only one step back?"

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

a

Post by executioner » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:18 am

once again I was disappointed at first because this really showcases the mellow side of Petra, but I have grown to love this album more than the other 2 Praise offerings. I voted for Be of Good Cheer. Great sound and really great lyircs. I also really like Song Of Moses, Show Your power, I Waited, and Lovely lord. I also really love the album cover; It really speaks to where Petra's heart is.

Unlike No Doubt this album sounds very natural; The drums are back and the guitar is evenly placed with the keys. About the only song I do not like on this album is We Need Jesus; I'm sorry but this sounds like some cheesy athem from the 80's and also the guitar work is hideous.
0 x

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:50 am

Normally I go with rockier songs, but "Show Your Power" just like Bash's "Diamond" gets me everytime.
0 x

blod6ett
Pethead
Pethead

Post by blod6ett » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:48 am

It's interesting to see...

In all previus polls, one or two songs have all the atention, and votes. Here, a lot of songs have or two votes. Maybe this is an album who all the people love, but in a diferent ways.
0 x
My wife and I, AND MY NEW BORN BABY have a really love: the lord Jesus!

St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:41 pm

I'm the opposite of greenchili. The first praise album was okay, but I didn't really like this one, except for a couple of songs. Of course, Petra's best praise album is REVIVAL...but that's another topic for another time. :wink:

My vote goes for "Lord, I Lift Your Name on High".

It was phenomenal when Petra played this song live. The band's performance...seeing the crowd sing along...you could feel the Holy Spirit present.
0 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:04 pm

Revival is a Sonicflood wannabe album.. ;) :P

Just MHO anyway. :lol:
0 x

krazykanuk
Pethead
Pethead

Post by krazykanuk » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:48 pm

I think of the three praise and worship records Petra released, this was the best one. Yes this began the revolving door of musicians that would continue until Bob came back into the band for the J&H era, but they continued to make great music. There are lots of great songs on this record and different ones have taken their turn on being my favourite. In the end, I give my vote to Lovely Lord. Just a beautiful number which makes you raise your hands in praise. Close seconds go to Show Your Power and the Medley. Songs I find slightly annoying are Song of Moses and We Need Jesus. Overall a great record and a great sequel to Petra Praise 1.
0 x

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Where'd everybody go?

Post by greenchili » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:45 am

OK this poll is over... Here are the results.

Be Of Good Cheer [6]
Show Your Power [3]
Ancient Of Days [3]
I Waited For The Lord [3]
We Need Jesus [3]
Lovely Lord [2]
(Only By Grace, To Him Who Sits On The Throne, You Are Holy) [1]
Lord, I Lift Your Name On High [1]
The Holiest Name [0]
Song Of Moses [0]
I Love You Lord [0]
Let Our Voices Rise Like Incense [0]

"Be Of Good Cheer" sweeps the poll with a 4 way tie between "Show Your Power', "Ancient Of Days", "I Waited For The Lord", and "We Need Jesus". "Lovely Lord" made it in 3rd place with exactly two votes.

We were short about 13 voters this week. So who knows why they skipped out. Wink I actually missed the vote myself, so mine was added in for "Show Your Power".

Next poll is "God Fixation", released in 1998. See ya there! :D
0 x