Fav petra songs poll #18 (Double Take)

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.

What is your favorite song from the album "Double Take"

Poll ended at Thu May 11, 2006 1:10 am

Judas' Kiss
32%
The Crayola Song
5%
Dance
18%
Beyond Relief
No votes
The Longing
14%
He Came, He Saw
No votes
Beat The System
No votes
This Means War
14%
(Breath Out) Breath In
14%
Creed
5%

Total votes: 22

jimmye4563
Pethead
Pethead

Post by jimmye4563 » Fri May 05, 2006 12:53 am

I'm listening to DT as I write this. My vote goes to This Means War. When I listened to this, as though I'd never heard any of the "classic" songs before, I found I enjoyed it more. I also liked the way they did The Coloring Song and Beat The System. I do like The Longing & Breathe In as well.
0 x
"You say you've walked ten thousand steps away, but don't you know that it's only one step back?"

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Fri May 05, 2006 7:17 am

This was only released to fulfill Petra's contract with Word Records...and it shows.
It shows? Howso? There is some WONDERFUL production in this album... very artistic and unusual.

Petra has never just thrown something together for the sake of fulfilling a contract... if that were the case, On Fire would have been a dud. Farewell would have bit the dust.
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Fri May 05, 2006 4:23 pm

0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

yamasaaaki har har
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Dunker Takel

Post by yamasaaaki har har » Fri May 05, 2006 8:16 pm

Believe it or not, I actually listened to Double Take before I ever heard most of the originals.

The originals I was already familiar with when I listened to DT were "Beyond Belief," "He Came He Saw," "This Means War," and "Creed."

For all the other 6 remixes (Judas Kiss, Coloring Song, Dance, Beat the System, Praying Man, Just Reach Out) - I had never heard their originals before. And I gotta tell ya, when I finally heard the rockier originals, it made me dislike Double Take so much more.

Maybe this album is creative (definitely), but it is not exciting. It just lacks energy. I don't even consider it a real PETRA album. "Creed" is my least favorite on it - I could not believe how the DT version is so much slower and more slothly than the original "Creed."

My favorite is "Judas' Kiss" with the nice string arrangments - and I like the "outdoors-y" feel of this one. Plus, "Breathe In" isn't too bad - it's quite interesting really, and PETeoRtA has a nice voice. All the other songs have my two thumbs down. But horray for the Grammy. (I don't like Third Day's music very much anyway.)
0 x
[size=150]Ñ

krazykanuk
Pethead
Pethead

Post by krazykanuk » Sun May 07, 2006 4:28 pm

I really like DoubleTake, although most of my Pethead friends do not. I too was excited about hearing John sing Greg era stuff. I was not disappointed by this record when it was released because I did not expect it to be great. I was pleasantly surprised. During a seminar with Bob Hartman a couple years ago, I learned from him that DoubleTake was originally supposed to be a live album, but the record company said no. Bob said considering how well the album sold, they should have done a live album. I too smiled the biggest smile when DoubleTake knocked off Thrid day's Offerings to win the Grammy. I made a lot of Petra bashing Third Day fans know about that one on campus for a while.
My vote would go for This Means War. I love the slow feel to it and the battle sequence in the middle. Close seconds would go to Judas Kiss and Just Reach Out. I cannnot stand the song Breathe In however and always skip over it. An experimental record concept not lost on the secular world as Bon Jovi and (soon) Aersosmith have done the same idea to success.
0 x

winterlens
Pethead
Pethead

Post by winterlens » Sun May 07, 2006 5:35 pm

Go listen to Ampendectomy, then listen to Double Take. Then listen to Ampendectomy again. And then listen to Double Take (again). Then thank the Lord that Double Take is not Ampendectomy.
0 x
DIA PISTEWS IHSOU CRISTOU

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sun May 07, 2006 8:17 pm

winterlens wrote:Go listen to Ampendectomy, then listen to Double Take. Then listen to Ampendectomy again. And then listen to Double Take (again). Then thank the Lord that Double Take is not Ampendectomy.
I assume you are talking about Ampendectomy by REZ right? That is a GREAT album! That is the way an acoustic jam should be done. BTW big REZ fan here.
0 x

BriGuyPEI
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

Post by BriGuyPEI » Mon May 08, 2006 7:38 am

executioner wrote:
winterlens wrote:Go listen to Ampendectomy, then listen to Double Take. Then listen to Ampendectomy again. And then listen to Double Take (again). Then thank the Lord that Double Take is not Ampendectomy.
I assume you are talking about Ampendectomy by REZ right? That is a GREAT album! That is the way an acoustic jam should be done. BTW big REZ fan here.
I second that. Ampendectomy is a great acoustic album. Obviously not as good as the originals for the most part, but still very good. Rez went out with two great albums, as Lament was simply awesome (and produced by Ty Tabor of King's X).

And now for something else. Name this band:

After some line-up changes, and releasing a couple of albums that were poppier and not well received by fans, the band promised a return to their rock style. They promised that the next album would blow the fans away. They hired a veteran producer from the band's glory days to cement the fact. But then that album idea got shelved, and the band released an album that disappointed, confused, and alienated their remaining fan base. By the time they got back on track with the rockier album they had promised, their domestic fan base had already eroded beyond saving, although the band remained big overseas.

Sound like Petra, and Double Take? It's actually Kiss, and Music From The Elder. Even though their next album, Creatures of the Night, was the hardest album they had done at that point, it still took a decade to get their mass fan appeal back.
0 x

misterbob
Pethead
Pethead

Praying Man Vote Please

Post by misterbob » Mon May 08, 2006 11:30 am

Hi...
Although I miss the intertwined lyrical content of the original, I still like this version as well.
0 x
Sign of the Times: Prisons are Crowded...Churches are Not

Epyon5757
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Epyon5757 » Wed May 10, 2006 2:28 pm

Not much I can say about this one...except that I wrote off Petra as dead after I heard it.
Judas' Kiss was my favorite in a bunch of forgettable versions...and Dance was also done fairly well...the rest of them I'd just as soon forget.

Epyon5757
0 x

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Wed May 10, 2006 4:21 pm

I think the biggest problem I have/had with this album is that I always considered lyrics (and melody) to be an integral part of a song. In other words they are usually written together so that they complement/envelope each other.

When you try to do something like seperate the lyrics and add them to different music and/or change the melody line, well it does not always seem to fit well.

That being said it isn't a bad album. I can even listen to it occasionally. Just hard to get into when your familar with the originals.
0 x

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Thu May 11, 2006 2:28 am

This poll is now complete.

Here are the results.

Judas' Kiss [7]
Dance [4]
The Longing [3]
This Means War [3]
Breath In [3]
The Crayola Song [1]
Praying Man [1]
Creed [1]
Beat The System [1]
Beyond Belief [0]
He Came, He Saw [0]
Just Reach Out [0]

The clear winner is "Judas' Kiss" with 7 votes. "Dance" took 2nd with 4 votes and we had a three way tie for 3rd with "This Means War", "Breath In", and "The Longing".

Next up is Revival aka PP3 aka Petra does Sonic Flood. Released in 2001.

See ya there!
0 x