Fav petra songs poll #18 (Double Take)

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.

What is your favorite song from the album "Double Take"

Poll ended at Thu May 11, 2006 1:10 am

Judas' Kiss
32%
The Crayola Song
5%
Dance
18%
Beyond Relief
No votes
The Longing
14%
He Came, He Saw
No votes
Beat The System
No votes
This Means War
14%
(Breath Out) Breath In
14%
Creed
5%

Total votes: 22

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Fav petra songs poll #18 (Double Take)

Post by greenchili » Thu May 04, 2006 1:10 am

With the recent ending of Petra's 33 year music ministry I thought it'd be kind of interesting to start a series of polls on favorite songs. Starting with their first album and working to the last. I figured I'd do an album each week.

So for those interested, get out your petra CD's and start listening. Do it now!! Listening is NOT optional!!! :P

Voting for last weeks album "God Fixation" is complete.

Here are the results.

St. Augustine's Pears [11]
If I Had To Die For Someone [4]
A Matter Of Time [4]
Falling Up [2]
Over The Horizon [2]
Hello Again [1]
God Fixation [1]
Set For Life [1]
Shadow Of A Doubt [1]
Magnet Of The World [0]
The Invitation [0]

The clear winner is "St. Augustine's Pears" at 11 votes. Which is 7 pears ahead of both "If I Had To Die For Someone" and "A Matter Of Time", both at 4. "Falling Up" and "Over The Horizon" tied for third. "Magnet Of The World" failed to attract anyone, and "The Invitation" was never accepted.

We picked up a few voters this time leaving us short only 7 people.

Next Up! "Double Take", released in 2000. Something I'm sure alot of Petra fans were doing when they heard about it.

Not much to say about this one...

1) Uh... Trent Thomason comes on board, Lonnie Chapin leaves.
2) All but two of the songs are remakes of old petra tunes.
3) Apparently for some reason the album release was delayed
4) There is a demo cd out there with different versions.
5) Won a grammy for best rock gospel album. Didn't they beat Third Day on this one? :P

Two songs didn't make it into the poll options which are currently limited to 10. They are..

Praying Man
Just Reach Out

Just post a msg if you like em and I will calculate them into the results.
Get voting guys (and gals).

Note to self: Add in pre-cast vote for "Beyond Relief"
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

i

Post by executioner » Thu May 04, 2006 5:34 am

I went with Dance on this one. It's not as good as the original but it is a good mix. It's funny but this started out as a acoustical album but was changed sometime during production, maybe hence the delay. I really don't think Petra really ever knew what to do with this album. I think maybe they should have done some lesser known Petra tunes instead of the classics. Production wise it is a great album and they did deserve the Grammy for that reason alone; It might Petra at its best in that catagory. I feel DT was a huge mistake because at this time I think they should have put out another original album instead of a remake or PW album. Unlike most Petheads I do not like the 2 new cuts off of this album, but overall I would give this one an average score; IMO there at least 3 Petra recordings that are worse than this one.
0 x

BriGuyPEI
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

Post by BriGuyPEI » Thu May 04, 2006 6:05 am

Consider this my write-in vote for Praying Man.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Thu May 04, 2006 6:44 am

Does anyone else have the six-song demo? I have a copy and they're actually quite interesting. The demo of Breathe In features different lyrics and some demos features different melody lines.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Thu May 04, 2006 7:38 am

p-freak wrote:Does anyone else have the six-song demo? I have a copy and they're actually quite interesting. The demo of Breathe In features different lyrics and some demos features different melody lines.
No I do not, but would like to have a copy. I bet you that will be a collectors item someday.
0 x

Petra Fan Canada
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Petra Fan Canada » Thu May 04, 2006 7:46 am

Ah, the pain.

I rarely listen to this album. The timing was terrible(IMO), as a gimmic album like this should be released when a band is on a high. It goes against the grain and throws a loop for fans and critics alike.

I agree that production wise, it was excellent. They deserved the Grammy based on quality, although there is something to be said that it wasn't a commercial hit. Let's be honest, the Grammies are typically based on sales numbers as well as quality. They aren't mutually exclusive.

My vote went to The Longing. Although it wasn't a Petra song, it certainly makes a beautiful worship piece. Sorry Pete Orta fans, Breathe In is my least favorite song of all Petra albums (maybe I'm showing my age. Long live Arena Rock!!!).

I did see Petra on this tour (in Bangor, Maine). About the only songs they promoted were Beat the System and Breathe In. John sounded worn out. Since the BB tour was the last time I had seen them, it was quite a shock; Small venue, so so sound, minimal light show, young, unruly fans (again, showing my age). Move ahead to the Farewell Tour, they sounded so much better
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

t

Post by executioner » Thu May 04, 2006 9:31 am

I saw them on this tour also and the only one the played was Breathe In. I never did get to hear any of these songs live expect for that one. Anyone else? I do remember on this tour they did real cool rendtion of Adonai; I wish they would have put that on Farewell.
0 x

brothertom
Pethead
Pethead

Post by brothertom » Thu May 04, 2006 10:42 am

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that I am in the minority on this one, but I think some of the work on Doubletake, especially some of the arrangements, are among the most creative work Petra has done. My vote will go to 'The Longing', but I find Beat the System, Coloring Song, Judas Kiss, Dance, This Means War, and Just Reach Out all to be excellent. One of the reasons I do not buy re-releases of songs or greatest hits packages as a general rule is that it sounds the same as the first time around, so why bother. These alternate takes are a real treat.

I do agree with an earlier comment about Breathe In. I don't really care for that one.

Tom
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Thu May 04, 2006 11:10 am

I agree that the timing for this release was not the best. But Petra had a contract to fulfill, and this was the final product with Word.

I've never heard the 6-song demo, but I did get to hear & see the final packaged product a few days before it ever hit the shelf.

My fave song on this is CREED. I just LOVE the intro with the strings, and how they are woven throughout the song.

BREATHE IN is one of the top songs on this album... I really like the melody and how the song flows.

I heard Pete sing that song in Waukesha, WI, and I also heard John sing THIS MEANS WAR at a solo show in Wausau, WI. That was very unique, and he did some speaking during the long musical interlude. It was very effective and turned out very nicely.
0 x

reoracer
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

Post by reoracer » Thu May 04, 2006 11:31 am

As much as I love Petra, I don't like this album... at all! I had to actually go hunt for it to pick a fave for the poll. The only song I like on here is the version of "Judas' Kiss", so it gets my vote. Sorry guys, this CD just ranks way below everything else in my collection.

Jen
0 x
Jen Savage-DeGroff

http://www.facebook.com/reoracer

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Thu May 04, 2006 12:28 pm

This album has really good memories for me too, because I had a concert with John a few days before this was released. He brought a copy along, and I got some extra copies from the local bookstore to sell at the show (after all, if the lead singer says it's ok, why not?).

Lo and behold, as I read the liner notes, I see listed someone familiar! :wink: It was a very special time.

And when they won the Grammy later that year, John wasn't even at the ceremony. When I heard the winner announced, I called to congratulate him and he seemed really surprised that Petra won, but very happy!

Come on - dontcha believe in your own product? :P
0 x

jk75
Pethead
Pethead

Post by jk75 » Thu May 04, 2006 2:16 pm

This album was different that is for sure. My favorite remake is probably Judas Kiss, but the best song (in my opinion) on this album by far is Breathe In. I don't know if people don't like it because it is Pete singing and not John or what, but Pete has a great voice. I just wish his solo album, Born Again, would have had more of a rock sound to it.
0 x

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Thu May 04, 2006 2:36 pm

At the time of it's release I just did not care for it. "How dare they ruin classic Petra tunes!". It was really hard to listen to classic petra tunes that I practically new by heart with completely different medley's and everything. Plus because of the timing, musically, Petra just seemed to be all over the place. But after listening to it last night it aint half bad, but like God Fixation seems to go downhill after a certain point.

I'm not sure what I'm gonna pick. I didn't think Breathe In was all that bad, but I have a creation concert where they played it and the song just rubbed me the wrong way on that take. But the studio version seems to flow together better.
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Thu May 04, 2006 7:00 pm

I have heard the demos...not a whole lot different. Back before it came out, Josh had a bunch of samples that he may have posted or just sent me or something, I don't really remember. Kevin released some previews and whatnot.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Thu May 04, 2006 8:43 pm

I remember reading about this album and thinking, "Cool! John Schlitt singing on Greg Volz-era songs...the best of both worlds!". The news made me salivate...Schlitt lending his tremendous vocals to such classics as "Beat the System" and "Judas' Kiss"! My reaction... :) 8)

Then I read that it was to be an acoustic album. My reaction... :?

But I gave it a shot when it was released. Thank God the local Christian bookstore lets you listen to albums before you buy. Believe me, I listened to it many times. My reaction... :shock: :x :evil:

DOUBLE TAKE is Petra's only misstep in their long career. This was only released to fulfill Petra's contract with Word Records...and it shows. Thanks for confirming my suspicions about that, Sue.
0 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"