Fav petra songs poll #20 (Jeckyl And Hyde)

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.

What is your favorite song from the album (Jeckyl And Hyde)?

Poll ended at Thu May 25, 2006 6:11 pm

Jeckyll & Hyde
28%
All About Who You Know
8%
Stand
20%
Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda
No votes
Perfect World
4%
Test Of Time
No votes
I Will Seek You
No votes
Life As We Know It
28%
Till Everything I Do
12%
Sacred Trust
No votes

Total votes: 25

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Fav petra songs poll #20 (Jeckyl And Hyde)

Post by greenchili » Thu May 18, 2006 6:11 pm

With the recent ending of Petra's 33 year music ministry I thought it'd be kind of interesting to start a series of polls on favorite songs. Starting with their first album and working to the last. I figured I'd do an album each week.

So for those interested, get out your petra CD's and start listening. Do it now!! Listening is NOT optional!!! :P

Voting for last weeks album "Revival" is complete.

Send Revival, Start With Me [7]
Amazing Grace [4]
We Want To See Jesus Lifted High [3]
The Noise We Make [3]
Oasis [2]
Jesus Friend Of Sinners [2]
You Satisfy [1]
The Prodigal's Song [0]
Better Is One Day [0]
Meet With Me [0]
How Long [0]

"Send Revival, Start With Me" has the clear lead at seven votes. With "Amazing Grace" at 2nd with four votes. "We Want To See Jesus Lifted High" and "The Noise We Make" takes third with three votes.

Next up is "Jeckyl & Hyde released in "2003"

A few notes in no particular order.

1) Look who's baacckkkk...
2) Unfortunately there were casualties in a long time petra member.
3) Greg Bailey and Paul Simmons on as Bass and Drums respectively (for touring band).
4) At least one song guaranteed to sound like a newsboys song. :lol:
5) Received a Grammy Award Nomination which I believe lost out to Audio Adrenaline.
6) All songs penned by Bob Hartman! (Yipee!)
7) 2nd Petra album to be released as a spanish version.

Alrighty then! You know what to do! Hop to it!!
Last edited by greenchili on Fri May 19, 2006 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

axelegend
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 2001

Post by axelegend » Thu May 18, 2006 10:51 pm

This is a tough one for me, because I love the entire album from start to finish. For me it was a toss-up between "Jekyll & Hyde" and "Test of Time," but "Jekyll & Hyde" got my final vote. I have played "Test of Time" twice as a special with the band at our church in the past year - it was a lot of fun. 8)

My only "complaint" about Jekyll & Hyde: with 10 songs at a little over 30 mins total playing time, it's too short!
greenchili wrote:3) Greg Bailey and Paul Simmons on as Bass and Drums respectively.
Greg Bailey played SOME bass (and sang background vox); Phil Joel (of Newsboys) also played bass and sang background vox for Jekyll & Hyde. Also, Paul Simmons did not play drums on the album - Peter Furler handled the drum duties.
0 x
Christopher L. Bayda
baydamusic.com
facebook | twitter

PetFCtr
Pethead
Pethead

Post by PetFCtr » Thu May 18, 2006 11:27 pm

my favorite song is "life as we know it"
0 x

jimmye4563
Pethead
Pethead

Post by jimmye4563 » Fri May 19, 2006 1:08 am

My vote went to the Title Track, Jekyll & Hyde though I also like ALL the songs. The chorus of Woulda Shoulda Coulda and the bridge to Sacred Trust are the two places that are "totally" Newsboys to my ears. That's not a complaint, I thought it was cool when I first listened to this CD. I played this "to death" for about 2 months straight. There were times I made myself not listen to it just so I wouldn't "burn myself out" on listening.
0 x
"You say you've walked ten thousand steps away, but don't you know that it's only one step back?"

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Fri May 19, 2006 2:05 am

axelegend wrote:
greenchili wrote:3) Greg Bailey and Paul Simmons on as Bass and Drums respectively.
Greg Bailey played SOME bass (and sang background vox); Phil Joel (of Newsboys) also played bass and sang background vox for Jekyll & Hyde. Also, Paul Simmons did not play drums on the album - Peter Furler handled the drum duties.
Bah! I knew someone was gonna point that out. That's what I get for being lazy by not being more specific. Updated.. :D
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Fri May 19, 2006 5:00 am

I voted for JAH on this one. This is my mind is one of the greatest Christian rock albums of all time. The guitar riff on the title track at the beginning of the bridge is classic Bob. The whole album is just so guitar driven and is in my top 5 Petra albums. The only complaint is the length is just to short and I know many have voiced their displeasure in this also. I was really hoping that this was going to be a springboard to the future but the CCM market SUCKS!
0 x

r_karlsson22
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire
Pethead since: 1996

Post by r_karlsson22 » Fri May 19, 2006 5:23 am

It's a lot of very good songs here.
But my favorite is Perfect World, I love the ending of the song, Heavy!
Second favorite is Jekyll & Hyde, uhm and Life as We Know It (the only song with a guitarsolo)
0 x
https://twitter.com/RickardWidgren
http://AboutRickard.com
Instagram: rickardwidgren

Life_AWKI
Pethead
Pethead

Jeckyl & Hyde -- Life As We Know It

Post by Life_AWKI » Fri May 19, 2006 6:11 am

Life AWKI really speaks to me about the path of growth as a Christian (and I think it sounds really cool, too.)
0 x

js3971
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by js3971 » Fri May 19, 2006 9:05 am

Stand takes my vote, with several songs very close. J&H, WSC, ToT are all excellent songs. If CDs could wear out like casettes do, this one would have been gone after about two weeks. I pretty much kept it on play continuously forever.

I must say that people who had liked Petra in the past and hadn't liked their stuff in a while, really were surprised by this album. Also, people who had never heard of Petra liked it as well. And people who thought Petra was just some old guys strumming their guitars cause they had nothing better to do were surprised as well.
0 x

charl
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by charl » Fri May 19, 2006 3:05 pm

This was a pretty good album. It was bolstered by the fact that it was not a slow praise album and I believe that fact alone will make this one of the more beloved of Petra albums. It was like rain in the desert; everyone jumped for joy just to hear Petra rock again. It does peter out a bit toward the end-as most Petra albums do (ever notice the weaker songs were almost always on the b side? So old fashioned), but overall it is a good effort, and fortunately they hit a high to end on.

I voted for Stand, as it has most of the elements of Petra songs that we love-very classic. Though now that I am looking at the poll results, I kind of wish I had voted the other way and gone with Sacred Trust. This was such a fitting song to end their last studio album with (though that of course was unbeknowest to them and us-Providence!).
Actually I grew to appreciate Sacred Trust more after they announced the retirement. Of all their songs, this is the one that typifies the ministry of Petra-it explains exactly what it has been about for all these years.
0 x
[url=http://www.picturetrail.com/char000]CIP[/url] -slowly but steadily coming along... [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party0011.gif[/img]

krazykanuk
Pethead
Pethead

Post by krazykanuk » Sun May 21, 2006 7:40 pm

When I first heard J&H, I thought it was their most rocking album since Beyond Belief. The guitars very very hard and John's vocals were really back at the top. I was disappointed the album did not catch on with the CCm market. I agree, the market does suck. However, what a studio album to go out with though. I knew it would sound Newsboys-Newsboys sells. I just did not think WSC would have been the song Step Up to the Microphone with different lyrics.
My vote for fave song is Life As We Know It. I love the line, "Never perfect but perfectly forgiven". The song really tells the story to non-believers what life is really like as a believer. This is life as we know it. And it is beyond belief.
Close seconds would be I Will Seek You and Sacred Trust, the latter It could be argued takes (a well deserved) shot at the bands who sold records by watering down lyrics.
Overall, a great record, although a bit short.
0 x

yamasaaaki har har
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Haido-san!!

Post by yamasaaaki har har » Mon May 22, 2006 8:13 pm

Such a drastic style change from DT and Revival. Even though J&H is not among my most favorite Petra albums, it sure is a lot better than those other two. Even though the guitar is almost overbearing, I'm so glad that this cd is actually heavy rock!! - something I had feared Petra would never do again. Even though J&H has no keyboards at least the other instruments make up for that and the musicianship is just genius.

I might parallel this album to Stryper's albums Against the Law and Reborn, because of their raw, heavy guitar, and minimal-to-no keyboards.

Favorite: Stand/ It has a Beyond Belief / Wake-Up Call rock sound. Exciting to listen to.
Almost favorites: J&H, It's All About Hu-Yu No, Test of Time, Life Az Wi No It. Also exciting to listen to, and very energetic.
Least favorites: Wooda Shooda Cooda, Perfect World, I Will CQ, Till Everything Ai-Du, Sacred Trust
0 x
[size=150]Ñ

winterlens
Pethead
Pethead

Post by winterlens » Mon May 22, 2006 8:32 pm

It was theologically meatier, certainly, than some of the previous. I like Till Everything I Do. One of the great themes of the Scripture is that God knows us. So Ga 4.9 ("Having known God, or rather having been known by God...") and Is 53.11 ("by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many..."). One of the dear comforts for me, to which I cling to as well as I'm able, is that God knows me inside and out, including the many nasty parts I'd rather hide.

It's just all around one of the best songs I think he's written about sin, which is always a sketchy topic to cover in CCM. Very few artists do so Scripturally. He manages not to dwell on the act as much as the solution, I think, which is why it succeeds with me. And there's hope!
0 x
DIA PISTEWS IHSOU CRISTOU

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

I

Post by executioner » Wed May 24, 2006 11:12 am

I really feel this album. It is so strong lyrically and strong musically. The guitar work is the best Bob has ever done. Because of its rawness it sometimes feels like a live album too me. I was a big fan of John Lawry but I really feel like that after he left in 1994 the keyboards were really shallow and somewhat second or third rate; They should have done away with the keys from than on and just flat out rocked. Look at all of the successful bands out during 94-2002 had no keys or very little at all.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Wed May 24, 2006 11:19 am

The guys who played keyboards after Johnny left were good; he was just a hard act to follow. :) He'd been around longer and had more experience than the other guys.
0 x