Final petra songs poll #21 (Farewell)

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.

What is your favorite song from the album (Farewell)?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:43 pm

All About Who You Know
No votes
Dance
7%
Amazing Grace
30%
Test Of Time
No votes
Creed
7%
Right Place
No votes
Rock Medley
37%
Jeckyl And Hyde
No votes
Acoustic Set
15%
Grave Robber
4%

Total votes: 27

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Final petra songs poll #21 (Farewell)

Post by greenchili » Thu May 25, 2006 11:43 pm

With the recent ending of Petra's 33 year music ministry I thought it'd be kind of interesting to start a series of polls on favorite songs. Starting with their first album and working to the last. I figured I'd do an album each week.

So for those interested, get out your petra CD's and start listening. Do it now!! Listening is NOT optional!!! :P

Voting for last weeks album "Jeckyl And Hyde" is complete.

Jeckyl & Hyde [7]
Life As We Know It [7]
Stand [5]
Till Everything I Do [3]
All About Who You Know [2]
Perfect World [1]
Test Of Time [1]
I Will Seek You [1]
Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda [0]
Sacred Trust [0]

Two way tie between "Jeckyl & Hyde" and "Life As We Know it" at seven votes. Stand came close in 2nd place at five votes. Till Everything I Do made third place with three votes.

Next up. Petra's final album which was a live one! "Farewell" released in 2005.

A few notes..

1) Special appearance by Greg X Volz for the "Acoustic Set" and "Grave Robber"
2) Special appearance by John Lawry
3) A DVD set released with the exact same playlist (minus Bob's Guitar solo)
4) Uhhh sorry Lichens, your not invited. :lol:

As usual not enough room for all of the songs. So the following will have to be write in's.

John Lawry's Keyboard Solo
Beyond Belief
Bob's Guitar Solo
He Came, He Saw, He Conquered

Can't really think of much anything else, so have at it! You all know what to do.
0 x

jimmye4563
Pethead
Pethead

Post by jimmye4563 » Fri May 26, 2006 1:59 am

My vote goes to Amazing Grace. It's the one song that just "gets me going" so to speak. This is another CD I've played "to death." In fact I'm listening to it as I type this. I remember the first time I listened to Farewell tears came to my eyes. I t just hit me right then how much I was going to miss Petra and that I was so thankful I was able to attend, along with my wife, one of their last concerts (Ft. Wayne, IN).
0 x
"You say you've walked ten thousand steps away, but don't you know that it's only one step back?"

BriGuyPEI
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

Post by BriGuyPEI » Fri May 26, 2006 5:32 am

I was tempted to vote for Amazing Grace, but I couldn't bring myself to vote for a song that Bob didn't write. I voted for Creed, just because I love the new arrangement. I just wish they had performed the entire song, instead of leaving out the bridge.
0 x

Petra Fan Canada
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Petra Fan Canada » Fri May 26, 2006 7:16 am

I love the rock medly and will play it 3-4 times before going on to J&H.

I have to say, and with all due respect to Louie, Paul's drumming blows me away. His playing on Amazing Grace, BB & Rock Medly give new life to the songs. His ability to do those rolls on the kick drum are amazing. Its just not speed, but his ability to incorporate it into a song.

This album was a teat, especially I too saw them on this tour. Too bad about the missing songs, but thats Life as We Know It. :P (Coudn't resist).

I think a second guitar would have been nice, as Bob couldn't play some of the solos at the begginiing of songs (like Sight Unseen, Midnight Oil).

But truthfully, no complaints from me.
0 x

js3971
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by js3971 » Fri May 26, 2006 10:21 am

The Rock Medley gets my vote here. I love this album. I'm glad they did it. I actually got to buy it a few days before it's street date as they sold it at their Irving, Texas concert on November 18. I stuck it in the CD as soon as the concert was over and blasted it into my already blasted ears for the entire 2 1/2 hour drive back to Brownwood.

I think the only thing it lacks is Judas Kiss. The song was awesome at the Irving concert.
0 x

BriGuyPEI
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

Post by BriGuyPEI » Mon May 29, 2006 5:03 am

I support the idea of a winners showdown. I made up groups taking the winners from all of the albums (excluding live albums and DT), plus other songs receiving at least 5 votes. I was left with 42 songs, so I dropped two (Salvation Belongs To Our God, and Whole World) to get 4 polls of 10 songs each. I made my lists to that each poll was spread out over all eras, rather than having a 70s poll, an early 80s poll, etc. I'll wait and see if greenchili starts any more polls (I don't want to hijack his thing) but if not then we can run my 4 polls and then have a grand finale poll to get the all-time favourite Petra song.
0 x

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Mon May 29, 2006 6:16 pm

Yeah BriGuyPei came up with a pretty good list for a winners showdown so I will be doing those after I complete my current list of polls. After this one I plan on doing two polls for the Schlitt solo albums. I had also toyed with a best album of the Schlitt era, although he had a fair amount more then Volz did.
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Tue May 30, 2006 1:11 pm

Amazing Grace is smokin'.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

Life_AWKI
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Life_AWKI » Tue May 30, 2006 3:39 pm

I really liked the Rock Medley of the CD but the Acustic Medley of the DVD was unbelievably cool (with Greg and John together and Greg on the cello).

How 'bout yet another poll of the favorites of CITAS (or CITS) and the Farewell DVD?

How 'bout a pool to bet on how long Greenchili can keep the polls going.

Put me down for 4 months.
0 x

krazykanuk
Pethead
Pethead

Post by krazykanuk » Tue May 30, 2006 7:12 pm

The much anticipated live album definately did not disappoint. The guest appearances, including the once in a lifetime event of John and Greg on stage together with a great set list made this a special live event. Great foresight on Bob's part to see the need for this product and to give to the fans as this was truly their album.
My vote is for the Rock Medley. I can't tell you how many times I have listened to it. In fact, this CD has not left my player since it came out in November of last year. Usually I am sick of a CD by this point. The awesome blend of songs coupled by the newer groves, heavying up some of the parts made this a listening treat. Close seconds go to The Acoustic Medley, Graverobber, and Creed. For Creed, though, I still prefer the year 2000 version of it. Overall, a job very well done
0 x

St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Tue May 30, 2006 8:21 pm

My vote goes for the live version of "He Came, He Saw, He Conquered".

I remember hearing Petra play this song on the JEKYLL & HYDE tour. I was blown away at how heavy it was. The next week, I went out and bought the album THIS MEANS WAR! I was surprised how...um, errr...how do I say this...*ahem*..."mild" the recorded version sounded. Nothing at all like the live version.

Okay, go ahead...flame away! :wink: :twisted:
0 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"

PetFCtr
Pethead
Pethead

Post by PetFCtr » Tue May 30, 2006 10:16 pm

I'm going with the rock medley
0 x

Susannah
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Susannah » Tue May 30, 2006 10:35 pm

Yes, the Rock Medley simply...rocked. 'Twas so delightful to hear "Mine Field" thrown into the mix. And with "Sight Unseen" being one of my very favorite Petra songs ever, I was stoked that that was part of it.

Ahhhh, that was SUCH a memorable night!
0 x
It's His delight to give you your desire; it's His desire to set your life on fire!

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:09 pm

ok, well this poll is ended. Here are the results.

Rock Medley [10]
Amazing Grace [8]
Acoustic Set [4]
Dance [2]
Creed [2]
Grave Robber [1]
He Came, He Saw, He Conquered [1]
Test Of Time [0]
Jeckyl And Hyde [0]
Right Place [0]
All About Who You Know [0]
John Lawry's Keyboard Solo [0]
Beyond Belief [0]
Bob's Guitar Solo [0]

With the winner being "Rock Medley" at ten votes. Amazing Grace took 2nd with eight votes and "The Acoustic Set" placed third at four votes.

Be sure to check out the schlitt solo polls for the next two weeks. ;)
0 x

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:18 pm

Corrected the vote count since I must have been asleep when doing it. :lol:

Maybe I should go work for inpop!
0 x