Fav Schlitt songs poll #1 of 2 (Shake)

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.

What is your favorite song from the album (Shake)

Poll ended at Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:21 pm

Wake The Dead
36%
Don't Look Back
5%
Show Me The Way
9%
Inside Of You
9%
Let It Show
5%
Carry The Burden
9%
One By One
5%
Try Understanding His Heart
5%
The Hard Way
9%
The Road To Calvary
9%

Total votes: 22

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Fav Schlitt songs poll #1 of 2 (Shake)

Post by greenchili » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:21 pm

With the recent ending of Petra's music ministry I thought it'd be kind of interesting to start a series of polls on favorite songs. Starting with their first album and working to the last. I figured I'd do an album each week.

Since that series of polls have concluded it's time to move on to complete the set. Since I did a set of poll's on solo work by former lead singer Greg X. Volz. It is now John's turn for two polls on the solo albums that he did.

This poll will be the John W. Schlitt branch of my polls. Since I know there are numerous Schlitt fans. So for those interested, get out your JWS CD's and start listening. Do it now!! Listening is NOT optional!!! ;)

First album on the list? Shake! Released in 1995

A note or two on this one.

1) Some big names on this one, just cant seem to remember them. :lol:
2) Was nominated new artist of the year dove award. Lost to clay crosse.

Alright. You all know what to do. Get too it! :D
Last edited by greenchili on Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

jimmye4563
Pethead
Pethead

Post by jimmye4563 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:36 pm

My vote goes to Wake The Dead over Inside Of You. There is not one song I dislike.
I know , for sure, that Dann Huff (original member of White Heart) played guitars on many of the songs. I believe he also produced some of the tracks.
0 x
"You say you've walked ten thousand steps away, but don't you know that it's only one step back?"

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by calicowriter » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:54 am

Lyrically I would have picked "Inside of You," but musically, lyrically, and vocally I have to say "Show Me the Way" is my favorite. (The song that John can never remember the words to live. Sigh.) Anyway, The arrangement of the song is fantastic. FYI -- Dann Huff is the producer for Keith Urban. The arrangement of Keith's "Days Go By" reminds me a lot of "Show Me the Way."
0 x
Bridget

"whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phillipians 4:8

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:01 am

That isn't the only song John has had trouble remembering the words to... :lol:

I like "Show Me the Way"--I love the video, but "Inside of You" is my favorite. It's a beautiful song. I like "Wake the Dead" a lot too though.
0 x

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by calicowriter » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:59 am

That isn't the only song John has had trouble remembering the words to...
True enough, but he ALWAYS forgets the words to SMTW. Back in December when he had those 2 solo shows surrounding the New Years Eve Petra shows, I asked him if he had been studying his lyrics (for the solo gigs). He laughed and said, "Very funny." I told him that he always forgets the lyrics to my favorite song, and so he asked which one that was. When I told him he said, "Wow, yeah, I do usually mess that one up don't I?" Naturally he promised to study up, but I don't know if he did or not. :lol:
0 x
Bridget

"whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phillipians 4:8

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by calicowriter » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:21 am

One more thing...

I realize that I am about as unbiased as let's say, Sue for instance ;) but I think that all of the songs on "Shake" are timeless. That is why John is able to get away with doing these songs in concert today and not sound dated. I imagine that people who buy this CD at his shows are shocked to learn that it was released over 10 years ago. The main difference is that the demographic of fan who would be attracted to it now is older than the demographic it was intended for when it was released. I'd like to see John make another CD like this one. (I REALLY wish he could afford Dann Huff again!) With the possible exception of "Wake the Dead," it think it could be considered an AC/pop record by today's standards.

Because the sound is so similar, what John needs is to be able to tap into the fan base of folks like Keith Urban, LoneStar, etc. Ever heard the song that Jennifer Nettles of Sugarland does with Bon Jovi ("Who Says You Can't Go Home")? It's not really what I would call country. One of the reasons country is so popular is that they've become a home for the folks who have been cast aside or ignored by the pop female breather-dancers and hip hop culture.
0 x
Bridget

js3971
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by js3971 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:58 am

Wake the Dead is a good song and gets my vote. When this album came out, overall I really liked it. But I listened to it a month or so ago, and with the exception of Wake the Dead, I found myself wondering what it was I liked about it. Maybe I should listen to it some more.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:29 am

Was nominated and won, new artist of the year dove award (I think I got that right).
No, sorry. You're wrong. Clay Crosse won in 1995.
I realize that I am about as unbiased as let's say, Sue for instance
Yes, you are right. We both are EXTREMELY un-biased. Our opinions are as untainted as a cool, crisp, freshwater stream trickling thru the mountains of Alaska.

I honestly love ALL these songs... my son was given a pre-release cassette (yeah, way back in those days) and we just listened until we wore it out.

I have to say that one of my top faves on this album is ONE BY ONE. The lyrics in this song is my story (and I won't get into it here, because it's very long). But when I first heard this tune, it just made me cry because it hits so close to home. Even now, I can't listen to this without tearing up.
0 x

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:39 pm

sue d. wrote:
Was nominated and won, new artist of the year dove award (I think I got that right).
No, sorry. You're wrong. Clay Crosse won in 1995.
Drat... wishful thinking on my part I guess. :lol:

Yeah the Huff brothers were involved with this one and mark heimermann did the keyboards.

Inside of You is one of those songs that gets me everytime but I'll probably end up voting for "Let It Show". Something about the song that I like.
0 x

winterlens
Pethead
Pethead

Post by winterlens » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:40 pm

I had to vote "Hard Way." I like Show me the Way, too, but Hard Way is the natural extension of it--he goes from "I have to wonder where I'm going just who I am" to "I know who I am, I know where I've been."

On the whole, I liked this album a LOT when it came out; but as soon as I got used to Unfit, I liked Shake less. The last half of Shake is good, but the whole of Unfit presents the gospel better than most of what I've heard in CCM.
0 x
DIA PISTEWS IHSOU CRISTOU

St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:58 pm

calicowriter wrote:"Show Me the Way" is my favorite. Anyway, The arrangement of the song is fantastic. FYI -- Dann Huff is the producer for Keith Urban. The arrangement of Keith's "Days Go By" reminds me a lot of "Show Me the Way."
:shock:

Never heard of that, but there is a LITTLE similarity between the two songs.
0 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"

St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:15 am

Another vote for "Wake The Dead".

Love how this song starts out...the soft, ballad-like opening, then the crushingly LOUD riff. Plus, John does his "ah-ha-ha!" thing before the first verse. One of John's best songs...with Petra or without.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Bob should've allowed John to write more songs for Petra. (And no, this is not a rip on Bob).
0 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:19 pm

Awww comeone! Someone's gotta vote for "Try Understanding His Heart" then we will have the first poll to have one vote for each song!! :lol:
0 x

Susannah
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Susannah » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:24 pm

Ok, I voted for "Try Understanding His Heart", one, cuz you needed someone to, and two, cuz Ronny wrote the music. However, "Wake the Dead" is my real favorite.
0 x
It's His delight to give you your desire; it's His desire to set your life on fire!

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:09 pm

OK. This poll is closed...

Here are the results..

Wake The Dead [8]
Show Me The Way [2]
Inside Of You [2]
Carry The Burden [2]
The Hard Way [2]
The Road To Calvary [2]