I got my CiTaS DVD today

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:39 pm

Finally watched the whole thing today. A few random thoughts:

Man, Greg Volz had a lot of energy! Jumping off things they way he did, I'm surprised he never broke a leg on tour.

The extended bridge during "Without Him We Can Do Nothing" when Greg Volz is running around trying to get the crowd excited is possibly one of the best Petra moments ever captured on video.

During "Praise Ye The Lord", Greg Volz doesn't really play his guitar. Apparently the stagehand forgot to bring him a pick. You can even see him ask for one (he briefly holds his hand up with the thumb and forefinger pressed together). He finally walks over and snatches one off of Bob Hartman's mic stand.

The editing in Louie's drum solo is as bad if not worse than the hack job that was done to Bob Hartman's solo on the Farewell DVD.
0 x

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:34 am

Mountain Man wrote:During "Praise Ye The Lord", Greg Volz doesn't really play his guitar. Apparently the stagehand forgot to bring him a pick. You can even see him ask for one (he briefly holds his hand up with the thumb and forefinger pressed together). He finally walks over and snatches one off of Bob Hartman's mic stand.
Apparently Bob didn't need him anyway. :lol: I thought it looked like he wasn't playing, but I wasn't sure. I'll have to check that again.
Mountain Man wrote:The editing in Louie's drum solo is as bad if not worse than the hack job that was done to Bob Hartman's solo on the Farewell DVD.
Considering what I've been hearing about the difference between cassette, LP, CD, and VHS I'm not surprised. But don't seem to remember it in the video. Which release has the complete drum solo?
0 x
The choice is life. Or the lie that comes from hell..

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:03 am

greenchili wrote:Which release has the complete drum solo?
The audio cassette. There was a point in Louie's solo where he let the drum machine take over and walked out on stage to get the audience worked up. Then he went back to the drums and played a bit on the synth toms before concluding his solo on the "analog" drums. On the CD version, the drum machine part is excised and the solo goes immediately into the synth toms. On the DVD, the drum machine and synth toms are gone and it goes directly to the end part. It's a pretty rough edit, actually, at least to my eyes, since it cuts a shot too short.

Edit: Another thing I noticed, Louie Weaver is a freakin' machine! There are several shots that show him from behind so you can see his kit, and if you look at the skin on his snare drum, the marks from his sticks hitting it are in a tight cluster dead center. Now that's accuracy!
0 x

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:44 pm

Yeah I've said before that he reminds me of Gonzo on the drum solo. :lol:

The guy is animated for sure.
0 x
The choice is life. Or the lie that comes from hell..

Pethead1
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Pethead1 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:50 am

I got an email that my DVD was sent on the 10. Today is the 17. If it does not come today how do I find out were it is? I can drive to Nashville in about 6 hours. 7 days to mail a DVD is stupid. But that is out wonderful Goverment at work.
0 x
Those asleep will be awakened
Not a one will be forsaken.

jimmye4563
Pethead
Pethead

Post by jimmye4563 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:40 pm

I received my copy yesterday; two days after I received the e-mail saying it had been shipped. I've watched it all the way through twice now. I'm very pleased at the quality of it. I don't mind the edits. To me this DVD is a piece of history. I consider the Farewell DVD as a history, also. I'm glad I've got both to enjoy.
0 x
"You say you've walked ten thousand steps away, but don't you know that it's only one step back?"