New Newsletter from John

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

New Newsletter from John

Post by sue d. » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:23 pm

The latest is up on the homepage JohnWSchlitt.com

check it out - or better yet - subscribe!
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by sue d. » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:44 am

What's this... no comments, no nothing? Has everyone disappeared?
0 x

Michael
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Michael » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:49 am

"Maybe they're off meditating somewhere or other, or maybe they've gotten involved in a project, or maybe they're on vacation. You don't suppose they've overslept, do you, and need to be waked up?" -1 Kings 18:27-28 (The Message)
0 x
[url]http://www.GuideToPetra.com[/url] - [url]http://www.ScriptureMenu.com[/url]

[url=http://www.last.fm/user/TulsaMJ/?chartstyle=BasicPetraZone2][img]http://imagegen.last.fm/BasicPetraZone2/recenttracks/TulsaMJ.gif[/img][/url]

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:37 am

I'm actually really looking forward to the Bob/John album!

Is there anyone who knows what other people are involved on John's solo album? On Shake and Unfit For Swine he had great people to help him record and produc (Mark Heimerman, Dann and David Huff) and some great guys to help him write the songs (Toby Mac, Ronny Cates).

Perhaps it's like swearing in church what I'm gonna say now, but I think that John is someone who really needs skilled songwriters and musicians to help him flourish. Working together with Bob has been great for him in Petra and working together with Mark, Dann and David has been great for him in his solo stuff.
But I really don't like the solo stuff that John did after his two albums on his own or with less skilled songwriters and musicians. And I've been disappointed in most of his latest efforts. I thought that Ready To Go was an okay song, and I'm OK perhaps had some potential. But I really don't like what he did on It's About Love and on the Project Damage Control album. No disrespect to Brent and Justin and everyone involved, but it doesn't seem like these last two projects showed the best of John Schlitt.

If John's not associating with really skilled songwriters, musicians and producers on his new solo album, I might even want him to not release a new album.

Well, that's said... Don't start bashing me and don't accuse me of any disloyalty towards John or Petra. This is really something that's been bothering me for some time. For those of you who know me better, you guys know that I really have a heart for Petra and John and his current ministry. I just think that John really needs the best of circumstances to flourish.

I would be very interested to hear some serious remarks from you guys on this issue.
0 x

Chris516
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Chris516 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:30 pm

I have every CD that Petra did with John on Lead Vocals, starting with 'Back To The Street'. Some are not as good as others, yet, I have them all because, I am very thankful for their ministry. :D Admittedly, I don't have any of John's solo work. I would like to get them. :oops:
0 x
Can't fix stupid, but then, can't break smart

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:09 pm

I read the newsletter; I've just been occupied with school and work. Just because people don't reply doesn't necessarily mean they haven't read the newsletter, but it is nice to have feedback I know. :wink: I'm looking forward to John's new solo CD, the worship CD and the book. I loved John's first two solo CDs.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by sue d. » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:54 pm

"Maybe they're off meditating somewhere or other
Hehehehe.... an appropriate commentary on the State of the Zone.
Admittedly, I don't have any of John's solo work. I would like to get them.
Well.... go get 'em! We take snail-mail orders on John's site.
Is there anyone who knows what other people are involved on John's solo album?
I don't know who's actually playing on the album, but it's being produced by Dan Needham and a few other writers.
Perhaps it's like swearing in church
You're too funny!
But I really don't like the solo stuff that John did after his two albums on his own or with less skilled songwriters and musicians.
You're talking about what? "It's About Love" on "Welcome to the Revolution" or the whole "Project Damage Control?"
But I really don't like what he did on It's About Love and on the Project Damage Control album. No disrespect to Brent and Justin and everyone involved, but it doesn't seem like these last two projects showed the best of John Schlitt.
Well, those were two projects where he really didn't have any direct control over what was done. I've heard comments such as yours before about these two....
If John's not associating with really skilled songwriters, musicians and producers on his new solo album, I might even want him to not release a new album.
In this case John will have TOTAL control over what is made, what is written, what is sung... the whole works. In fact, really - this will be the first time he'll have TOTAL free rein on a project. I for one can't WAIT to see how it all turns out. It should be finished recording by October (not ready for release, but recorded). I told him he needs to send me a copy for my birthday.... ! I mean, I'm not asking for TOO much, now am I?
I just think that John really needs the best of circumstances to flourish.
I'd say that is an accurate statement for ANYONE. Ideally a person would need to have the best to show off THEIR best.

By your statement you're implying that anything less and John can't pull it off? Please explain.....
0 x

Susannah
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Susannah » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:53 pm

"Maybe they're off meditating somewhere or other, or maybe they've gotten involved in a project, or maybe they're on vacation. You don't suppose they've overslept, do you, and need to be waked up?" -1 Kings 18:27-28 (The Message)
This has got to be, like, the best post ever! I loved it! :D
0 x
It's His delight to give you your desire; it's His desire to set your life on fire!

trodLAN
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: J&H
Pethead since: 1982

...my opinion...

Post by trodLAN » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:05 pm

...I love "Project Damage Control". :-)
That record is one of just a few records I bought earlier this year.
Johns vocal is just as good as on any of the Petra-records, indeed!
The song "Liar", "Heaven" and "Lost" sounds pretty much like "new" Petra!!! I am sure John will release an awesome record!

And for those who haven't heard "Project Damage Control", give it a listen! (My favorite trax is "Try Again")
0 x
https://www.youtube.com/@trodland

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

fgfdhh

Post by executioner » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:28 am

I had heard that the book would be out in Oct/Nov, Is this still the case?
0 x

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Re: fgfdhh

Post by calicowriter » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:04 am

executioner wrote:I had heard that the book would be out in Oct/Nov, Is this still the case?
In a word -- no, certainly not in October. Late November possibly, December is the goal. The author has been dealing with a lot of problems, and the source has been busy as well.

Prayers for the author (me) would be greatly appreciated.
0 x
Bridget

"whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phillipians 4:8

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:49 am

I haven't heard much of Dan Needham's work. I've seen his name pop up a couple of times in some new Nashville projects. So I guess Dan does have good producing skills. And I would have expected Dan to have been involved, since he's John's son-in-law. :wink:

Perhaps I am implying that John can't pull it off without a working relationship with some great professionals. I know this all sounds rather vague, but I don't think it's for no reason that there's only one John-written song (Just Reach Out) on all Petra-albums combined.

I don't want to make the statement that John can't pull this off on his own, because he's never had a chance before to try. But I must confess that my expectations for John's new album are not very high. I don't know what he's able to do on his own and I really want him to make the best music there is.

I have total faith in John when it comes to his ministry. I've talked to him several times backstage at concerts in Germany and the Netherlands. John is a man that's totally on fire for God! He really has something to say that is worth to be listened to and that can touch people's hearts and change people's lives.

But I'm really hoping that his (new) music will be worthy of his message.
0 x

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by calicowriter » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:01 pm

I think your perceptions on what John can do as a solo artist are more related to money than talent. John's first two solo albums were financed by a record company. The other things he's released since ("I'm OK", "Ready to Go, " etc) have been done on MUCH smaller budgets in smaller studios with lesser-known musicians. And the reality is, they aren't going to sound as good as bigger budget records produced with name musicians in state-of-the-art studios.

As for why there has only been one John-penned song on Petra's albums, don't assume it is because his songs weren't of good enough quality. The fact is, "Just Reach Out" is the ONLY song he ever submitted for a Petra release. After that, he had his solo deal, so he saved them for those projects.
0 x
Bridget

"whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phillipians 4:8

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by sue d. » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:12 pm

The fact is, "Just Reach Out" is the ONLY song he ever submitted for a Petra release
100% success rate.... sounds good to me! :wink:
0 x

Fobers71
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Fobers71 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:45 pm

I thought he wrote "No Doubt" too?
0 x
Jon Fobes
Ohio

Rocking with Petra since 1986