Does Anyone Have Petra Songbooks for Sale?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
petrabandca
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1990

Does Anyone Have Petra Songbooks for Sale?

Post by petrabandca » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:26 am

Hi,

These are the songbooks that I am looking for:

Youth Choir Collection (It has the same artwork as Back to the Street)
Not of this World/Beat the System
This Means War!
War & Remembrance
Petra Praise II (We Need Jesus)
Revival (If ever released)
Jekyll & Hyde (If ever released)

you can contact me at [email protected] and I would like to pay with Paypal if possible.

Thanks,
James
0 x
http://www.enticity.ca

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:29 am

I don't have anything for sale, but I can assure you that songbooks for Revival and Jekyll & Hyde don't exist.

I would check eBay on a regular basis. I've seen all the songbooks you're looking for there over the years. So you might need to have some patience.

Do you need them for your upcoming site?
0 x

petrabandca
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petrabandca » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:36 am

Hi,

Ya, I just got a guitar program that will tab out all the songs and I would like to get the books so I'll have everything to get started. Your probably right, I should be patient and get what I've got done first and find the other books over time.

The site is coming a long slowly if you haven't noticed. It's funny, I do this stuff for a living and your own site and hobby sites are always the last to be worked on.

ebay is probably my best bet and I can't believe that half of those titles I've seen on ebay and didn't get them while I had the chance. There are a few items that I've thought, "it will still be there" and someone else was smart enough to get them while they could.

Can you believe I had the "Petra Praise, The Rock Cries Out" accompaniment trax on cd, but thought that no one would come accross it on this particular site that I found. Talk about dumb!

Anyways, thanks and I'll keep looking. I'll let people know when I start getting some songs up.

James
0 x

crossways
Pethead
Pethead

Post by crossways » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:04 pm

FWIW - the songbooks are not in the correct keys, or at least not the same as on the album.

and the PPII cd cover has the chords and lead.

Good luck.
0 x
I KNOW my Redeemer lives!
- Job
www.crimsontruth.com/Forum.htm
www.crimsontruth.com

petrabandca
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petrabandca » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:05 pm

Hi Crossways,

Ya I know that they aren't exactly what the band recorded, but it feels pretty cool to hear a Petra song coming from your guitar. I had a guitar teacher get pretty upset when I asked him to teach me "Midnight Oil". I had the book and played the cd for him and he hated the fact that there was two guitars heard on the intro, but not in the book.

Any idea why they only distribute what they have. You think it might be because of Johns range.

I forgot about the cd cover having the chords and notation, but I'm a completist when it comes to Petra collectables which is hard to control sometimes. Anyway thanks for the info! I really appreciate all the help I can get from Petra fans who can sometimes lead me in the right direction for what I'm after.

Take care,
James
0 x

crossways
Pethead
Pethead

Post by crossways » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:44 am

I'm sure John's range had a lot to do with the arrangments and keys in the folios. But there are lot things not quite right about the arrangments. First off they are more of piano reductions and less of an accurate arrangment of the song.

I don't know who did the transcriptions but I don't think they worked very closley with Bob or any other band members.

I think I have all of them minus the book that came out with PP:The rock Cries Out. Which was a youth collection.

The most accurate one seems to be the Anthology. It keeps everything in the right keys at least for the most part.

I have an extra beyond belief book, if you need that one.

Otherwise, I could make you some copies or send some transcriptions, but I don't really want to give up any books.

It would be cool if someone worked on a more guitar/band oriented transcription of some of the music WITH Bob's guidance.
0 x
I KNOW my Redeemer lives!
- Job
www.crimsontruth.com/Forum.htm
www.crimsontruth.com

Bill F
Pethead
Pethead

Oh Yeah!

Post by Bill F » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:09 pm

Crossways I was just thinking the same thing before even reading this thread. I was watching the new video up at the II Guys myspace site of Bob and John in Norway. I play accoustic guitar and can do some pretty fancing pickin'. However, I'm not the greatest at figuring things out just by listening to it. I would love to see Bob do a book and video of Petra music for guitar. I'd pay big bucks for it if he did it.
0 x

biggestfan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by biggestfan » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:37 pm

That would be awesome! I've wanted something like that for a long time. (I've even posted about it once or twice.) John and Bob are my role models and I won't be satisfied with my guitar skills till I can play all their songs. Why don't we start a petition? We could send it around the internet to pethead guitarists and then send it to Bob! (Sue could probably collaborate by sending/showing it to him.) And crossways; I agree that the petra anthology is a great chordbook. I got it for christmas and have been playing it ever since. I was starting to run out of music so it was a bit of a lifesaver. I would definitely recommend that chordbook.

P.S. are you from california (petrabandca)? I thought I was the last fan left in CA . :wink:
0 x

petrabandca
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petrabandca » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:24 am

Hi biggestfan,

Actually I'm from Canada, eh? the ca is for Canadian domain names.

Much like the rest of you I've been wanting something that is right from the recordings. Back in the mid to late 90's I e-mailed Bob about this and asked him if he was ever going to release some tab. He answered and said that he wasn't at the time and suggested that I could find a lot of tab circulating around the internet. I like the rest of you ended up going and finding the 30 or so same songs that are basically everywhere. Not saying that is a bad thing because to those who took the time to tab out Petra music I would like to personally thank you!

I've also been tempted to see what it takes to contact someone that has tabbed out other books that I own and names I see in guitar magazines. I'm sure it would be pretty expensive and they would probably need the original sheet music because I doubt they do it by ear.

I'm going to go ahead and tab out the books that I have and try to have them available on my site in the near future. I hope that everyone that visits can get something from them.

I'm all for a petition! Anything to help show Bob, John and more importantly the record companies just how much interest there really is for Petra still. I've even contacted inpop in regards to Revival and Jekyll & Hyde, but no answer and I doubt I'll ever get one. I'm sure with a petition Michael from GuideToPetra.com would have some contacts like he did with CITAS and p-freak might have some helpful information as well.

Thanks for posting.
James
0 x

biggestfan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by biggestfan » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:27 pm

Hey petrabandca.

I'm actually Canadian myself (British Columbia). I just don't live there. Maybe that's where I get my pethead tendencies because all my relatives up there are at least minor petheads.

I don't know how you contacted Bob. I've tried the email on his website but it doesn't seem to work. I guess once the petition would get high enough you could send it to him. Perhaps we should keep the petition here until it reaches a high enough number (maybe while getting some help from that michael guy). After that we can send it out in E-mails. At the end it could say "once this petition reaches (number) send it to [email protected]." And then you could take all the names and make a huge list and send it to Bob. Please try to work out what the petition will say. I'm not sure if we should go for chordbooks or what. I hope he'll show how he played in farewell because he did some great guitar work in that album. Plus then we'll be able to figure out how to play his guitar solo (I've figured some of it out myself but not the tricky parts). It's nice to see that there are other pethead guitarists out there. Wanna start a band? :wink: (actually I would but all I'd play would be petra and I'm the only teen pethead in los angeles.)

P.S. I once worked on figuring out "all about who you know". I might be able to finish it for the thing on your website. What is your website?
0 x