What a Shame!

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

What a Shame!

Post by fcollazo » Thu May 06, 2010 9:23 pm

It's shameful that The Farewell Petra has to hire a fill-in drummer to play the festivals this year under the name of "Petra".

Somebody is not forgiving the other, and I find that very un-Christian. Louie should be able to play with The Farewell Petra too. I heard John Schlitt on several concerts over the years present Louie as the man he could never go on stage without! But now he can not share a stage with him. What a shame. Does not the Bible say that as we forgive others, our father in heaven will forgive us too?

How can they go on stage with someone not even related to Petra and call themselves Petra.
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Re: What a Shame!

Post by Shell » Thu May 06, 2010 9:58 pm

I'm puzzled about why you find this shameful; Petra has had several drummers over the years. Sometimes schedules don't work out; people have other commitments they can't get out of; that can't really be helped. Sometimes people decide for whatever reason not to work together. There is nothing wrong with that; it's their decision and we should respect that. Sometimes it is better for people not to work together. I know I have people I'm better off not trying to work with. If one drummer doesn't work out, you move on to someone else, and Cristian has a history with Petra. He tried out for the Farewell lineup but they chose to work with Paul.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri May 07, 2010 6:06 am

Good night people. How many times do we have to dig up this dead horse and beat it?

This is not a forgiveness thing. This is a compatibility thing. Why do some of you over spiritualize things with assumptions? There are many bands where the people do not like each other. Everyone knows it. They are not fun to listen to IMO. It is like going out to dinner with a married couple you know has wanted a divorce for 10 years but will not for some reason. It is no fun, because you know that they reaslly do not get along and their staged happiness for the sake of your event is a sham. Why put someone through that? Musicians that do not get along will not gel on stage. They will never groove, be in sync, emotionally, mentally, musically.

It's ok for people not to get along. They love each other. I know. I have talked to them both about this whole thing. Their stories vary with perspective. Somewhere in the middle is the real truth. But having been around them a little and heard their hearts, I know they love each other. They just cannot work together.

For those that think Petra is something other than what it was, consider this: Petra was a BAND that played Christian music FOR MONEY. Petra ministered through it's music but it was not a non=profit ministry. The members were ministers in the sense that we all minister. They were not Ministers as in Bishop, Overseer, Prophet, Apostle, Pastor, etc. Petra required MONEY to operate. The members required MONEY to live. The music was sold to and by for profir commercial businesses. The band looked how it needed to look, sounded how it needed to sound and played how it needed to play TO BE COMMERCIALLY VIABLE TO SELL RECORDS AND FIL CONCERT HALLS. They did the same things that all successful bands did to survive. There was no divine intervention making them survive because Petra was Petra and Bob was Bob, etc. The industry saw Petra as a money cow and when Petra was not a money cow the industry said no to Petra. God had little to nothing to do with it. God is not leading the industry. There are people following God in the industry, but that is VERY different.

Just because Petra existed does NOT mean that God called each member to be in it. Some of them felt that way, but we all know of some former members who were living a less than stellar Christian walk. Their playing contributed to something God probably used. But once a member does not always a memeber make. Follow?

Assuming that you don't buy any of that and you think that all of the members were divinely installed into a holy position with the para-church ministry of Petra, think of it like this: It's like a Godly man pastoring a church until the people decide they don't like him anymore. The pastor may still be called by God to pastor, but not there any longer. He is not obligated to go back and they are not obligated to have him back just because he was once there ministering.
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Fri May 07, 2010 6:22 am

Still it would be a great show of humility and maturity if both John and Louie could share the same stage.

In the meantime one of the two, or both are not being good examples to the people who hear their music.

And don't tell me the rap that they are human, and "secular artists do this and that", because a Christian artist should have integrity, and know that they lead by example as a Pastor does from the pulpit. You need to live what you preach.

Again I don't know if I can believe John, he is the one that said that he would never go on stage without Louie.
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Fri May 07, 2010 6:36 am

Also Louie and John were not just any other member of Petra, they were key members for Many years, part of the core of what most people remember as Petra, and again I always thought of both, and still believe that they are trying to walk with God, it's just that after so many years together how come they can not forgive and do a once sit in and be done with it, you know perform together once, show that there is no bad blood, and move on.

Because they left a bad flavor on many people, Christian and secular, specially the secular who would say: "You see, they call themselves Christians, they preach with their songs, but they can not stand each other, and expect us to forgive our enemies and convert to that Christianity od theirs".

If they were going to behave like the Secular bands do, look at Aerosmith now, then why call themselves a Christian band?
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri May 07, 2010 6:50 am

fcollazo wrote:Still it would be a great show of humility and maturity if both John and Louie could share the same stage.

In the meantime one of the two, or both are not being good examples to the people who hear their music.

And don't tell me the rap that they are human, and "secular artists do this and that", because a Christian artist should have integrity, and know that they lead by example as a Pastor does from the pulpit. You need to live what you preach.

Again I don't know if I can believe John, he is the one that said that he would never go on stage without Louie.
You don't get it. Until you are a musician in a band, it is really hard for you too. This is equiv to Roger Waters and David Gilmore getting back together for a Pink Floyd show, Steve Perry with Journey for a show, Dave Mustain with Metalica for a show.....It just ain't gonna happen because the events of their past are foremost on their minds and that inhibits any playing. It is as intense of a division as a divorce. After the member is gone there is gladness, but then a sense of confusion, death and sadness. To put the husband and wife together for a night would be ahhhhhhhhhhhh-kward.

They do have integrity. Show me where they don't. Again, your perception of reality is a little warped here and you are making assumptions. Integrity is a character thing. They did not act out of sorts with God. They are not actiing out of sorts with God by not playing together. Paul did not find a good match in one of his ministry partners and exchanged him. That was not a lack of integrity. We do have chemistry to think of. Two people can be sold out to God and not have good chemistry. This is a scriptural thing. God did not make us to all get along as one big happy family without issues.
Last edited by brent on Fri May 07, 2010 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Fri May 07, 2010 6:51 am

Felipe, I value the way you feel and think about this, but we've been over and over this issue many, many times.

John and Louie simply are not going to work together anymore. There's nothing unchristian about this. They're not bashing and beating each other in public, they keep it to themselves. And I think we shouldn't start making a bigger deal out of it than it is.

And if you want some biblical evidence of how people should act when they disagree, just read the story in Acts where Paul and Barnabas have a major row. They disagreed on the practical ways of pressing on with their ministry. In the end they decided to part ways. That doesn't mean that both Paul and Barnabas were an embarrassment to christian testimony. They agreed to disagree and they thought it was wise to pursue different ways. That's the same with Louie and John. Both loved the ministry they were working with, but weren't able to work together fruitfully anymore. So then to keep things from getting out of hand, one of them had to leave. Let's just leave it at that. We don't like it, but I'm sure it was for the best.
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Fri May 07, 2010 6:53 am

I mean, how sad. Loiue is willing to tour with Classic Petra, but for the other Petra shows with John they have to get a hired gun.

Louie already played with Greg Bailey, and is going to play with Bob, but is not hired for the John Schlitt Petra.

They should call it " The II Guys with Greg Bailey Reunion Tour"
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Fri May 07, 2010 6:56 am

Hey I am the Guitar player in my Band, and have been in Bands since 1986, so i know about dynamics between, Members, and By the way David Gilmour and Rogers waters shared the stage for a set of Pink Floyd tunes during the Live 8 concerts, did't you see that, go youtube it.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri May 07, 2010 7:05 am

fcollazo wrote:Hey I am the Guitar player in my Band, and have been in Bands since 1986, so i know about dynamics between, Members, and By the way David Gilmour and Rogers waters shared the stage for a set of Pink Floyd tunes during the Live 8 concerts, did't you see that, go youtube it.
....and what was the reason they did it? Do you know? I do.
...and did you see their faces? It was forced. They hate each other and it showed. Neither enjoyed the experience. Read up. This is why neither are playing together on the Roger Waters "The Wall" tour.
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Fri May 07, 2010 7:07 am

You are right about the Paul and Barnabas thing. I understand. And just because David Gilmour and Roger Waters got together for the Money, all the Money in the World may not bring together Louie and John.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri May 07, 2010 7:10 am

fcollazo wrote:I mean, how sad. Loiue is willing to tour with Classic Petra, but for the other Petra shows with John they have to get a hired gun.

Louie already played with Greg Bailey, and is going to play with Bob, but is not hired for the John Schlitt Petra.

They should call it " The II Guys with Greg Bailey Reunion Tour"

Look dude. Louie and Greg are friends. Bob and Louie are cool. John Lawry is cool with everybody.

John and Louie just do not get along. They have had a tolerance for one another for decades. They loved each other, but they are both qwirky people man. I am amazed that Louie was around as long as he was. He likes to push buttons and John does not like to be questioned. That is my take on it. Louie is like a kid. John had to be the father figure. Louie is a joker. John got the other end of those jokes. Come on man. If you are in a band, you know what it is like. Being a Christian and playing Christian music does not make that stuff go away. Besides that, the bands with the most internal conflict have the best music. Too much control on one side yields bland product. It takes more than one. I can list a tone of bands to support this and they are all multi-millionares with several hits.

Then there is the resentment that Louie had. He was a hired gun and wanted to be paid for his off time while rehearsing for tours and records. He was paid to play live. So he always had to work other jobs as well as be available at the drop of the hat to play with Petra. Toward the end, those last five years, Petra was in the weeds. Louie was hacked because it was going downhill and they were hacked that Louie would not give up his other jobs to put time into Petra. So, does Louie not provide for his family to spend time on something dying? You tell me.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri May 07, 2010 7:15 am

fcollazo wrote:You are right about the Paul and Barnabas thing. I understand. And just because David Gilmour and Roger Waters got together for the Money, all the Money in the World may not bring together Louie and John.
Tell me. I offered a LARGE chunk of change for a show. I offered 25k for one night. No takers.
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Fri May 07, 2010 7:17 am

I am now at peace and understanding they chose the "Paul-Barnabas" route, which is Biblical.

I just find it hard to believe they chose this route, but it's in my selfish mind, that wants Petra forever.

I'll be Glad that we have the guys playing in different configurations now, and enjoy them.
0 x

Jan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Jan » Fri May 07, 2010 9:25 am

FINALLY!! An explanation other than "they just can't work together." I don't know about anyone else, but that's all I wanted. Some kind of understanding of the situation. So.....that's that.
brent wrote:[

John and Louie just do not get along. They have had a tolerance for one another for decades. They loved each other, but they are both qwirky people man. I am amazed that Louie was around as long as he was. He likes to push buttons and John does not like to be questioned. That is my take on it. Louie is like a kid. John had to be the father figure. Louie is a joker. John got the other end of those jokes. Come on man. If you are in a band, you know what it is like. Being a Christian and playing Christian music does not make that stuff go away. Besides that, the bands with the most internal conflict have the best music. Too much control on one side yields bland product. It takes more than one. I can list a tone of bands to support this and they are all multi-millionares with several hits.

Then there is the resentment that Louie had. He was a hired gun and wanted to be paid for his off time while rehearsing for tours and records. He was paid to play live. So he always had to work other jobs as well as be available at the drop of the hat to play with Petra. Toward the end, those last five years, Petra was in the weeds. Louie was hacked because it was going downhill and they were hacked that Louie would not give up his other jobs to put time into Petra. So, does Louie not provide for his family to spend time on something dying? You tell me.
0 x
I love it when Schlitt happens!!