Classic Petra's Facebook

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Re: Classic Petra's Facebook

Post by p-freak » Sun May 16, 2010 2:57 pm

fcollazo wrote:But the whining i am talking about is the obssesion with making Classic Petra un-official on behalf of financial reasons, I mean if somebody did not get to book the Classic Petra, or be involved it's development, then that's not that person's gig, then that person should continue to do his or her job booking everything else that comes along, because again nobody can tell Bob what to do except God and his wife.
I think you're just reading too much into other people's words. I don't think anyone here has tried to make the BTS reunion unofficial. So I don't really know where you get this idea from.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Sun May 16, 2010 3:06 pm

Okay, speaking from a female's point of view...A wife may try to tell her husband what to do but that don't guarantee he's gonna do it.... :lol: Some of you married ladies can attest to that I think.

(That was a joke-Just trying to lighten up things a bit). :mrgreen:
0 x

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Sun May 16, 2010 3:47 pm

It seems to me that if the farewell lineup was a hot, on fire lineup, they would have bigger concerts than just a couple of festivals. I do find it sad that that is what they are stuck doing. I think that that version should just stay retired, and John should just stay focused on his solo career.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun May 16, 2010 4:18 pm

fcollazo wrote:I don't intend to know "what it's all about", but we all know that Bob Hartman is the founder of Petra, he owns everything related to Petra, it is his brainchild, he was the principal song writer, and leader i nevery aspect, and he and only he gets to do whatever he wants to do with any incarnation of Petra. So it should not bother one bit what he does with Petra to anybody inside or out side this board.

Although I was mad when he made the decision not make a Live album with John Schlitt when Petra was in their heyday, saying that "Live albums don't sell", when every other mayor CCM artist and band was releasing live Albums at the time, sometimes 2 or 3 by the same band. Go figure! Now all we have is Farewell, and we know how strained and harsh John sounds on that one.
Bob is right. Live albums did not sell...for everyone. Peter Frampton and a few others had live album sales that eclipsed anything else they did. From the label and publisher's side, DVDs and live albums just don't pay what new releases do for most people unless there is new material and/or a bunch of special features.

You also have to consider that album sales do not have the same purpose they once did. CDs are not how people make their money. Concerts are. CDs are the promotional materials to advertise for the show. It used to be the other way around.

+100 for letting the Farewell version of Petra sleep for a while.
0 x

BForm
Pethead
Pethead

Post by BForm » Sun May 16, 2010 4:46 pm

Yeah, Frampton was unique. He's one of those guys that is fantastic live but couldn't cut a good studio album to save his life. I could never understand that when so many other artists had really good studio albums then had to rely on high decibal levels to drown out the horrible sound of their live production.
0 x
God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. - John Piper

Enosh
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Who Are these new guys? AndBand! The Original! Ask for it by name.

Post by Enosh » Sun May 16, 2010 6:51 pm

Then, seemingly out of the blue, comes a premature email announcing a classic reunion. I was taken totally by surprise.
Sue, that's interesting. Especially that you are doing all the booking for John and Petra. Bob never mentioned this?
0 x
Facebook.com/enoshfee
redcapeproductions.com
www.wakingvegas.com
Facebook.com/wakingvegas

AndBand! The Original!
Ask for it by name.
http://picasaweb.google.com/johnwschlitt/July42003PekinILJohnSoloAndAndband#5081842292151695650

Jan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Jan » Sun May 16, 2010 8:19 pm

Speaking of Peter Frampton.....it's sad that he and his band lost all their equipment in the Nashville flood. But when he put that on Facebook, there were 638 comments. So maybe somewhere in there some people have equipment they can donate.
0 x
I love it when Schlitt happens!!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun May 16, 2010 9:32 pm

Jan wrote:Speaking of Peter Frampton.....it's sad that he and his band lost all their equipment in the Nashville flood. But when he put that on Facebook, there were 638 comments. So maybe somewhere in there some people have equipment they can donate.
Uh...most of these guys that lost everything have insurance. Those that do not usually have endorsement deals. I am sure there are some that do not have insurance. But the stuff they play is so far beyond that of the average musician...I cannot imagine them coming up with replacements.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Mon May 17, 2010 8:58 am

"Classic Petra was not a retaliation to the reunion bookings. That's just plain silly. This is something that has been kicked around for a while."

I'm not saying it was a "retaliation." Here is MY big question: I'm wondering why this classic announcement came out shortly after the first bookings were posted with the Farewell lineup. THAT is my question.

I don't care if they get back together again - fine and dandy. BUT.... (and I can't believe no one can see my point): the 1985 line up has had 25 years to regroup - why is it happening in 2010: the SAME year, at the SAME time the Farewell group is playing again? Doesn't anyone else see this as ODD? Or at the very least - a strange coincidence?

BTW, there's more than TWO dates for Farewell Petra. And as petranite said correctly, "John & Bob said YES to some dates that they were not trying to book."

"So are classic petra supposed to wait until farewell petra has no more chances of doing a show until they announce anything?"

I'm still asking the question: someone tell me why this is being announced in the same year at the same time. That's all I want to know.

"It appears that some are trying to downplay it like its not legitimate because of loyalties to john."

No, no one is saying it's not legit. I'm downplaying it because, as petranite also said - I don't see anything more than a flashy website page at this time.

"If farewell petra retired why are they even still booking shows?"

Again.... because festivals ASKED.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by Shell » Mon May 17, 2010 10:18 am

Good grief, Felipe, you just don't get it do you? There's nothing unreasonable about Sue's questions. You're reading stuff into this that isn't there.

I think you're the one having the problem here.
0 x

petranite
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petranite » Mon May 17, 2010 10:27 am

I just want to say that I am truly excited about the possibility of Classic Petra and as stated before I will be at the show if it is close enough for me to go which is probably within a couple hours driving distance.

I am just like everyone else on this board WAITING for an OFFICIAL announcement. So far NOTHING on Greg X website mentions this and NOTHING on Bobs website mentions this and NOTHING on John Schlitts website mentions this. Those are THREE OFFICIAL websites that say nothing to this. Then all of a sudden another website pops up created by someone associated with some guys who were in Petra and I'm just supposed to say OK CONFIRMED the guitar tech and roadie for the Come & Jouin Us tour said its official so it must be. (Sarcasm intended). Until Bob, Greg, Mark, John W, Louie say something themselves directly or through an OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE then I have to take it with a grain of salt. I mean I'm the same person who posted the fake press release a couple weks ago and some people took it to be real. Thats how easy it is to fake people out on this stuff.

One thing I know for sure is I am seeing John Schlitt this Saturday OFFICIALLY IN PERSON as announced on JOHNWSCHLITT.com . John is personally my favorite vocalist of all time and I will personally support anything he does and nothing can take away from his legitimate Schlittness (i.e. greatness). That being said I also love Greg X and have all of his solo albums including the crappy Branson quartet album that he made a few years ago. I bought it to support him and will go to his concerts as well. I never saw Greg X Volz with Petra but I have seen John solo and with Petra over 20 times myself and so Greg X with Petra does appeal to me but John will ALWAYS be #1.

Again I am not saying CLASSIC PETRA will not happen I am only saying I could put up a flashy page and say the dream team is back together and that would mean nothing. I am glad some of you have had personal conversations with members of Petra through the internet and they have privately confirmed this with you but I would then ask WHY haven't they said anything publicly. That would end a lot of the back and forth on this board as well as answer a lot of questions. The delay in a formal public announcement on dates leads me to belive things are not nearly as firm as presented. I have promoted an unsightly amount of shows mainly indie the past couple years but I NEVER announce a date until it is 100% CONFIRMED.

Thats how people start feeling ripped off when something is presented as one way and ends up being another or not at all. I pray we are not let down by this but again the Schlittster will be singing in Athens Illinois this Saturday and will be doing a service in Springfield Illinois on Sunday so if CLASSIC PETRA doesn't happen I'm cool with that.

Now I will weigh in on the Petra revolving door of members. I think it's unfortunate that it has become Menudo style but hey thats how things go in the music BUSINESS BUSINESS BUSINESS BUSINESS.......... Brett has made several posts to this account and he has spoken for me too.
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Mon May 17, 2010 10:35 am

I don't usually post here anymore. I have my own reasons for that, but I've been watching all of these discussions since the news about Classic Petra broke and I have to say that it has appeared to me, that overall, there seems to be some bitterness that seems to be coming from Sue as well as some others about all of this. I know this has always been a board with strong loyalties to John and I think we all like John and think he's great guy, who has been used a great deal by God both in and out of the context of Petra, but there was a Petra before John and lot of us believe that was pretty darn good as well. I'd be happy to see Petra no matter who was playing, but this classic line up is the line up that was Petra when I first found them and when I first saw them live. I'm thrilled at the possibility that I could see them again and even more thrilled at the idea of getting some new music from this incarnation of the band. Petra is a ministry first and foremost and if God is willing to resurrect that ministry in whatever form, I think we should all be thankful, praising God and praying for their success.

I have absolutely no issues at all with their being two versions of Petra going at the same time. Some prefer Petra with John and some prefer Petra with Greg. Debating which version is more official or more legit is goofy. Bob is involved with both and therefore, both are legit. Yes, the classic version has more well known members and (right now) probably a greater opportunity for success, but that doesn't make the other version less legit. I think we should all be thrilled that 2010 looks like it will offer us something from Petra no matter which way we prefer them. Honestly, sometimes I think some people would complain if their ice cream was cold. All of this just looks childish and petty. Let's be happy for the ministry of Petra and happy for each other. If I get the chance to see both versions, I will see both versions. I love both versions and I would think that other true Petra fans would as well. Maybe not, I don't know, but this appearance of bitterness and childish bickering among the fans really looks pathetic.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Mon May 17, 2010 10:38 am

Thank you, Shell & petranite, for saying what I'm trying to get across.

To clarify: Farewell played ONCE in Argentina in 2007. The other time was not Farewell Petra. It was a private-type show at Celebrate church because John, Bob, Johnny, Greg & Dan N. were invited.

To fcollazo: Again - I'm asking a legitimate question: coincidence - or not? Can you answer that question? It may sound like sour grapes - but no. It is simply a question that I'm curious as to the answer.

FYI: I'm not downplaying an announcement - I'm wondering how many dates there actually ARE. Big difference. If there are a million shows - great. If there is 1 - great. But until I see some hard numbers and real shows booked & posted, I can't get too super excited just yet.
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Mon May 17, 2010 10:39 am

WHY haven't they said anything publicly.
Greg did make a public announcement on Facebook and provided a link to the website.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by Shell » Mon May 17, 2010 10:47 am

Yeah, but that's all it appears to be -- Just something on the Internet with no substance. I think it's great if they have shows, but until they're confirmed, that's all it is, typing on the Internet. Granted, there is probably a lot involved in planning shows that I don't know about, and a lot can happen in the planning stage. But if you will read Sue's posts again, I see no bitterness, I don't get it with the bitterness accusations. She is simply asking for clarification and that's not unreasonable. Again, don't look for something that isn't there.
0 x