First time I heard Petra

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
adpetrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Re: First time I heard Petra

Post by adpetrafan » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:13 pm

Daniel wrote:adpetrafan I got this email from a zone reader... seems this guy was there and saw you taping... :)
Thanks for posting that. How cool that we would both end up here so many years later. Ihope to find time to dig out the originals and capture them to dvd or something some day. If I do that I will be sure to share somehow...
0 x

blayze5150
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1985

Post by blayze5150 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:37 am

"Beat the System," CITAS version, 1985. Was totally blown away. Wore the tape out!
0 x

NOJPetra
Pethead
Pethead

Post by NOJPetra » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:01 pm

adpetrafan wrote:
Daniel wrote:adpetrafan I got this email from a zone reader... seems this guy was there and saw you taping... :)
Thanks for posting that. How cool that we would both end up here so many years later. Ihope to find time to dig out the originals and capture them to dvd or something some day. If I do that I will be sure to share somehow...
Hi there, adpetrafan....if you ever do find that tape from the Night of Joy performance in 1983, I would sure like to see it! I agree, it is pretty amazing that 27 years later we would "meet" again!

NOJPetra
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:18 pm

That would be so cool to see that concert.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

onyx
Pethead
Pethead

Post by onyx » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:46 pm

Hi there, adpetrafan....if you ever do find that tape from the Night of Joy performance in 1983, I would sure like to see it! I agree, it is pretty amazing that 27 years later we would "meet" again!
***I was there, too. It was already a fan by then, but it was my first Petra concert. :P
0 x

kirkraz
Pethead
Pethead

-

Post by kirkraz » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:11 pm

-
Last edited by kirkraz on Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

jejac77
Pethead
Pethead

Post by jejac77 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:11 pm

It was 1997 and I was in a Christian Bookstore in Jacksonville Fl. This was the VERY first Christian Cd that I EVER bought. I soon found out about the history of CCM and the wealth of music out there - especially PETRA. When I told John and Bob that this was the first Christian CD that I bought they both laughed so hard!
Having been a NY Radio DJ for 30 years I was unaware of the "alternate universe" of Christian Music that existed. I was pleasantly surprised and have been a big fan of Petra ever since.
I really enjoy being on the PETRA ZONE and reading all your opinions and I value them ALL! (even those I disagree with - lol)
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:26 pm

jejac77 wrote:It was 1997 and I was in a Christian Bookstore in Jacksonville Fl. This was the VERY first Christian Cd that I EVER bought. I soon found out about the history of CCM and the wealth of music out there - especially PETRA. When I told John and Bob that this was the first Christian CD that I bought they both laughed so hard!
Having been a NY Radio DJ for 30 years I was unaware of the "alternate universe" of Christian Music that existed. I was pleasantly surprised and have been a big fan of Petra ever since.
I really enjoy being on the PETRA ZONE and reading all your opinions and I value them ALL! (even those I disagree with - lol)
You didn't say what CD it was. From the year you told about, I'm guessing this was Petra Praise 2: We need Jesus. Is this right?
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

jejac77
Pethead
Pethead

Post by jejac77 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:26 pm

yes, sorry it was Petra Praise 2 - We Need Jesus. I thought I was responding to a comment about that CD. Sorry! It is an awesome CD - and opened the door to so much more.
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:14 pm

30 years on the radio in NY, and not even cross-overs showed up on your radar? Jars, Amy Grant, etc? What made you pick up PP2, out of all the other stuff in the bookstore?
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

jejac77
Pethead
Pethead

Post by jejac77 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:33 pm

Oh I heard Amy Grant and Michael W. Smith (as a matter of fact here is a fact that I have repented of to Bob, John, Sue, and Michael W. - I used to do a voice like Daffy Duck when I played "Place In This World" because of the sybillance on the recording - just listen to the song and you will hear "Plathe in thith World") but I never connected it to Christian Music - I just never heard or saw the connection.
The bookstore was "Berreans" and they had a large display of CD's and songbooks. Right next to the display was Petra Praise 1 - The Rock Cries Out - so I bought all three (1, 2 and songbook) but the first one I listened to was Petra Praise 2 - so much so that after a few weeks I had to buy a new one - I wore it out!
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:21 pm

I used to do a voice like Daffy Duck when I played "Place In This World" because of the sybillance on the recording - just listen to the song and you will hear "Plathe in thith World"
That is funny, i'm gonna have to go listen to it. I've had that album for years. Someone needs to do a parody of that.....lol
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

BTRPETRAGeorge
Pethead
Pethead

Post by BTRPETRAGeorge » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:02 am

I became a christian in Jan 1988, I was 15 at the time. The first christian artist i had ever heard was Keith Green, he was so inspirational and still is of course. Then i was introduced to David Meece and Dion Dimucci which I still listen to from time to time. Then in 1989 a friend gave me a tape of Petra Praise, when i heard the first song "I love the Lord", I couldnt believe that christian musicians could play such great music, I was blown away. The next album i heard was On Fire, again, another brilliant album.
Next it was the Greg x Volz era of Petra that I got into and I tell you what, those early albums were so encouraging to me at a time when I was growing up and going through some personal struggles, not to say that they replaced the word God, rather they reminded me of Gods promises and of his continuous presence with me. Overall my favourite albums are all the GXV era albums right up to No Doubt. I have to say that personally for me I lost interest after this album, I believe that some of the following albums had lost there flavour and melody. I didn't like Godfixation that much, lyrically brilliant but musically too mellow and modern for my liking, "Doubletake" is probably the worst Petra album ever, a bad retake on classic songs. J&H was i believe a return to Petra's original style rock.

I am so pleased that Greg is back as he brings a vintage element to Petra, a true return to Classic Rock!!!! I hope they continue returning to a classic style of Rock like for eg. what John Elefante did with Mastedon III who gave his album a 70's/80's style of Rock with a modern recording!!!! Most importantly as long as the lyrics are biblically centred and they exalt the name of Jesus, im sure they will create wonders with there music.

God Bless Petra "For HIS GLORY"

BTRPETRAGeorge

Be Reformed by being transformed through the Word
0 x

NOJPetra
Pethead
Pethead

Post by NOJPetra » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:01 pm

onyx wrote:
***I was there, too. It was already a fan by then, but it was my first Petra concert. :P
Pretty amazing, 3 of us coming full circle... 8)
0 x

onyx
Pethead
Pethead

Post by onyx » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:00 pm

It is amazing. :-) I'm hoping they'll be there again this year. NOJ would be a great tour stop imo.
0 x