TBN Show Promotion

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

TBN Show Promotion

Post by fcollazo » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:24 pm

Hey, I think they should promote this show in some other way than with their website that not to many people know exist. I think the fake facebook site has even more contacts, like 11,000 I saw. What do you guys think. I do not see people saying they are going in droves like I thought. I am going with my family.
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Re: TBN Show Promotion

Post by Jonathan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:47 pm

Facebook is probably the most cost-effective means of promotion (self-promotion, most likely, though I don't know who's behind the Classic Petra Facebook page), as TBN isn't likely to put a whole lot of money into advertising something that isn't going to be a cash cow for them, little to no return on investment. Is there some corporate sponsor or philanthropic underwriting of the show?

TBN is probably going to rely on word-of-mouth and the legacy of Petra's brand. Maybe someone with some video ability can create something viral and generate some buzz. At best, my guess is buys will be limited to local radio support? I don't know what the market is like for Hendersonville/Nashville, but I imagine it's completely saturated with more lucrative acts, in all demos. Lots of guesses here, though.

Would also be nice if some of the more recent bands who would count Petra as an influence would put in a good word for them. I don't know who's friends with who in the industry, or if there is even much respect for the old guard.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:02 am

The fake facebook account has already advertised the TBN sign up.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:03 am

It only takes time and money. Lots and lots of money.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:07 am

Jonathan wrote: Would also be nice if some of the more recent bands who would count Petra as an influence would put in a good word for them. I don't know who's friends with who in the industry, or if there is even much respect for the old guard.
That doesn't sell seats or product really.

What it takes is lots of money in the right palms....same as every other product manufactured, sold, reviewed.

Heck, times are so hard that the Christian reviewers are asking for MORE money that they did before. If you guys don't think Christians will not put it to other Christians, you have lots to learn. They do. ESPECIALLY in this biz.
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:52 pm

The fake Facebook account isn't so fake anymore. Both John and Greg have signed on as administrators, and make some posts, so that would seem to give it some legitimacy.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:01 pm

No anyone can make someone an administrator, within a group without asking.. bit of a flaw really! still is good to promote Petra all the same. petraband.com & petramerchandise.com are the only official Petra Production publications.
0 x

CatNamedManny
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1996

Post by CatNamedManny » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:04 pm

I sort of object to labeling it "fake," when in fact it is real. (It's actually on Facebook, and it actually exists to promote the real band known as Petra). It's unofficial, yes, but it's not fake.
0 x
- Paul

A little disoriented. Getting reoriented.

BriGuyPEI
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

Post by BriGuyPEI » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:49 pm

If the creator of the Classic Petra Facebook group is such a big fan, why aren't they on this board :?:

If you are, who are you? Just like to thank you for raising awareness of Petra on Facebook.
0 x

Masada1
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Masada1 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:36 pm

BriGuyPEI,

I know absolutely nothing about why the creator of the facebook page isn't on this board. But, I sure could give a few reasons. I've been a member of the Petra Zone from 2 or 3 incarnations ago or more, near its very beginnings...it's been so long I can't really remember (ah, the joy of old age). But, frankly, since this whole Classic Petra thing started up there has been an element and a "feel" to this place that absolutely grates on my last nerve. There is almost a certain hostility to the whole idea of the thing. Not by everyone to be sure...maybe not even by the majority...but it's there nonetheless. There are a good many days I just tell myself that I'm just going to chuck it and not come back...but for some insane reason I still find myself reading the posts. However, I don't think that I would necessarily feel the love if I were the creator of the facebook page. I don't know that I would join this place, given the lukewarm reception some of our board "leaders" have given the whole idea. Shoot, the very way the facebook page is talked about...."fake"...would be enough to keep me away.

Fact is, this board isn't very inclusive. Oh, sure...we say we are. But the fact remains that YEARS have pretty much proven that many of us like to stake our position and then proceed to shoot down anyone else who happens to disagree. And, I know this may be hard to believe, not all Petra fans are members of this board. Frankly, the creator of the facebook page...or any other page doesn't owe us a darn thing...and he certainly doesn't have to be a member of our often dysfunctional family. In fact, given that the page was created to support the classic line-up...seems to me that he's a smart man for not coming around, given how anything Volz related seems to be cast in a less than positive light. There are plenty of people out there who still remember the classic line-up with great affection (and who have a lot of respect for Greg X. Volz). It's just that it doesn't appear that many of them are part of this community.

Sorry for the book...but, it just irritates the snot out of me that a person who has been a part of this community almost from its beginnings (that would be me...even though I do not post often) feels alienated because he doesn't see support of Greg as a rejection of John, nor excitement over the Classic lineup a repudiation of the John era. I love PETRA...period. In all its forms...and all its incarnations...when they made music I loved...and when they put out stuff I listened to once and little after. I know that if I feel that way...there are others as well. Matter of fact, I suspect the tone of this Zone has probably driven off some who would be inclined to join. Shame on us. This divisive stuff needs to end and this Zone needs to get back to celebrating whatever incarnation of Petra is out ministering at any given moment...not debating what leader singer is better...or who's music rocked harder...or glorified God more. If Petheads truly are the one who support the band...then this Zone must be a place that not only says its inclusive...but acts...and it hasn't for awhile.

Just my two cents.

Eric
0 x
"Back to the Rock" Classic Petra Fan Forum http://www.classicpetrafan.рroboards.com/

Jan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Jan » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:19 pm

I would think that he called it fake because the boy was pretending to be a representative of the band, and would not answer messages. Being so young, maybe he just didn't know any better, then he finally started responding and added others on as admins. I don't see all that negativity you mentioned. I have seen posts where people express their opinion about who they like, or what era they like the best, but there's nothing wrong with that. And the general feeling I get is that most people, maybe all, hope that Classic Petra does well and wishes the best for them.
0 x
I love it when Schlitt happens!!

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:31 pm

The owner of the Facebook page is a 17-year-old fella named Ian DeVaney, from MN: http://www.facebook.com/idevaney. He runs other boards too.... why he's not here - I don't know.

Yes, Jan's right - he often posted as if he were a band member, and responded in the same way.
fact, given that the page was created to support the classic line-up...
Actually, not. It was created in 2008, when there was no classic line-up. There was no Petra at all, except for a reunion at the end of 2007. He created the page for Petra - period. When the classic Petra started up, that's when he changed the icon and name.
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:33 pm

Thank God for Masada1. It's so good to finally know that I'm not alone. I've had the snot kicked out of me around here for daring to say such things, so brace yourself.

As to the Facebook page. I've seen posts on there from both John and Greg, so it's a little hard to imagine that this fellow just added them as Admins without actually talking to them about it. I mean I could be wrong, but it sure looked on the up and up to me.
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:37 pm

Well, I guess the easiest solution then would be for Sue to ask John whether or not he in fact has anything to do with it or if he agreed to be an admin. If she's already recently done that and knows he hasn't, well then I guess we would know for sure.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:40 pm

That's exactly what he did.... sent us (myself & Sherri A., who helps me with all the social networking sites ) an email saying he added us on as admins for the site. Which is fine... and he continues to post as well.

I can't speak for Greg, but John's posts are legitimate and coming from him. However, he has nothing to do with the daily administration of the site.
0 x