Album art released @ classicpetra.com

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Re: Album art released @ classicpetra.com

Post by Dan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:22 pm

:lol: that's not what we're talkin' there are 5 distinct eras

Early Petra 1972-1980.
Classic 1981-1985 2010~
Dream team 1986-1994.
Modern 1995-2002.
Farewell 2003-2005 2007~
0 x

Jekyll
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Jekyll » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:27 pm

It's common knowledge that the Dream team is the period from 86 to 94, the band finally won Grammys, Doves, and appeared on nationwide TV through Farm aid and won various other shiny objects. That period of the band did the most extensive world touring and had a lot bigger impact than Classic, Modern or Fair-well periods. Some ppl on here can be such nancys on this board... what happened to the men who were strong and brave hey??

Amen
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:14 pm

And that's what happens if you give an opinion around here that's not the "Petra Zone Correct" opinion. You get insulted. The term Dream Team is a term applied to that era of the band by people who think that was the bands greatest era and most talented line up. All I'm saying is that not everyone agrees with that. There are many (like me) who think the ones I noted are just as good and heck, there are even some who think they are better. That's the reality. The fact that the post Volz Petra saw greater success doesn't solve the issue. It existed in a time where the market was far more open to what they were doing, then it had ever been before. Besides, the only thing I objected to was the statement that everyone agrees that the 86-94 Petra was the Dream Team. That is factually incorrect. There are many who like that era best who cling to that nickname and do all they can to promote it, but I for one have never referred to that era by that name and I'll bet, (in fact I know) I'm not the only one who hasn't.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:38 pm

here we go again...
0 x

Jekyll
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Jekyll » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:18 pm

Preacherman777 wrote:And that's what happens if you give an opinion around here that's not the "Petra Zone Correct" opinion. You get insulted. The term Dream Team is a term applied to that era of the band by people who think that was the bands greatest era and most talented line up. All I'm saying is that not everyone agrees with that. There are many (like me) who think the ones I noted are just as good and heck, there are even some who think they are better. That's the reality. The fact that the post Volz Petra saw greater success doesn't solve the issue. It existed in a time where the market was far more open to what they were doing, then it had ever been before. Besides, the only thing I objected to was the statement that everyone agrees that the 86-94 Petra was the Dream Team. That is factually incorrect. There are many who like that era best who cling to that nickname and do all they can to promote it, but I for one have never referred to that era by that name and I'll bet, (in fact I know) I'm not the only one who hasn't.
Edwards posts make more sense then your gabble.
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:25 pm

And if that doesn't reinforce the truth behind the first sentence of my last post, I don't know what does. I rest my case.
0 x

Jekyll
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Jekyll » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:28 pm

:lol: lets hear the worlds smallest violin, this board is weak.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:37 pm

Jekyll wrote::lol: lets hear the worlds smallest violin, this board is weak.
easy Jekyll, some are ultra sensitive here. keep it up and you will be banned by an admin.
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:53 pm

Just for the record, Jekyll has taken shots at me three times in this thread and I have not done it even once in return, so I'd say my tolerance has been pretty good.
0 x

CatNamedManny
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1996

Post by CatNamedManny » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:08 pm

Jekyll's horrible attitude aside, he's also somewhat factually incorrect about the merits of "Dream Team" Petra versus "Classic" Petra, especially in this comment: "That period of the band did the most extensive world touring and had a lot bigger impact than Classic, Modern or Fair-well periods."

It's true that Petra finally won Grammy and Dove awards during the Dream Team era, sold more albums and toured more extensively and performed in front of larger crowds, but I'll reiterate the following facts about the Classic Petra era:

* The band's first Grammy nomination was for Not of This World. Beat the System was also nominated for a Grammy.
* Beat the System was the biggest Christian rock album of the 1980s, when accounting for the terrain of the genre at the time of its release. Bigger than This Means War! Bigger than On Fire! Bigger than Petra Praise.
* By the end of 1985, Billboard certified Petra the biggest-selling gospel-music group in the country.
* The tour for BTS, when CITAS was filmed, was the second-biggest tour in all of Christian music, second only to Amy Grant's. That means bigger than Michael W. Smith, bigger than Steve Green, bigger than Sandi Patti.

In other words, when accounting for the popularity of Christian rock music at the time of the band's existence, Classic Petra stacks up more than favorably against even the Dream Team. Classic Petra overcame more obstacles, broke down more barriers, fought more antagonists and had to win more fans -- and still was the world's dominant Christian rock band.

And, just to reiterate, I'm a Dream Team guy, but it's important to recognize that the Dream Team simply does not exist without the incredible success of Classic Petra -- a standard of success that would have made Petra one of the all-time great Christian rock acts even without the albums that would follow.
0 x
- Paul

A little disoriented. Getting reoriented.

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:34 pm

0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985

Post by pmal » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:07 pm

Preacherman777 wrote:And that's what happens if you give an opinion around here that's not the "Petra Zone Correct" opinion. You get insulted. The term Dream Team is a term applied to that era of the band by people who think that was the bands greatest era and most talented line up. All I'm saying is that not everyone agrees with that. There are many (like me) who think the ones I noted are just as good and heck, there are even some who think they are better. That's the reality. The fact that the post Volz Petra saw greater success doesn't solve the issue. It existed in a time where the market was far more open to what they were doing, then it had ever been before. Besides, the only thing I objected to was the statement that everyone agrees that the 86-94 Petra was the Dream Team. That is factually incorrect. There are many who like that era best who cling to that nickname and do all they can to promote it, but I for one have never referred to that era by that name and I'll bet, (in fact I know) I'm not the only one who hasn't.
You want your opinion to be heard? That's great! Here is mine in light of yours. This is a very fun time to be a Petra fan. My first tape was CITAS and I loved it. Some of my favorite songs of all time come from the Volz era. I love both eras. I agree with you to a point in this thread and others but this is also reality. Two years ago, no one would have dreamed (pun intended) that this lineup (Volz) would have reunited. It's awesome that it has! However, the 86-93 era has always been called the "Dream Team" by a vast majority of anyone who still cared about Petra. Not just by a select number of folks on the board but in the press and in other circles as well. Just because the Volz era lineup has reunited does not change that. Neither does new album cover art. Just because you, me, or others do/don't agree doesn't change that either. None of that rewrites history. There are indeed folks who feel the Volz era was better and they have that right to express that, just like the folks that believe the Schlitt era from 86-93 was the best. But the fact is that no one has ever called the Volz era the "Dream Team". If you don't like that, tough crap! Seeing any post to the contrary of your beliefs and then assuming that the whole world is against you is silly. There has to be a balance. Don't worry about all of this minor stuff. Look at the positive! I am soooo happy this reunion is happening! It really is happening and it is another gift from God that we don't deserve! I can't stinkin' wait for the cd and the tour! Instead of looking for the devil in this, I am looking for the Lord! Come and join me in the sunlight! Whohoo!!!!!
0 x
May the downforce be with you!

Edward
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Edward » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:44 pm

Sucks this thread does.
0 x
People are returning to God by leaving the church.

adpetrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by adpetrafan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:33 pm

Extremely well said and I agree with all of it. Especially this part "It existed in a time where the market was far more open to what they were doing, then it had ever been before.".

I have music from both versions of Petra (well more really) and although I enjoy songs from every album this MINISTRY produced, my favorites by far are from the group now known as classic. So what? Why does anyone who does not agree with that have to be a jerk about it and post stupid comments on these forums that serve no purpose except to divide?

I may be "NEW" here, but I have been reading the board for months and I am constanly amazed at the silly posts some people make.
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:13 pm

But the fact is that no one has ever called the Volz era the "Dream Team". If you don't like that, tough crap! Seeing any post to the contrary of your beliefs and then assuming that the whole world is against you is silly.
It doesn't bother me in the least that no one has ever called the Volz era the "Dream Team" and neither does it bother me that some people want to call the 86-94 line up by that name. My point has only been to say that for some people that line up was not better than any other and for still others, there were other line ups that were even better.

Personally, I like both eras in question equally. What has bothered me is the dismissive and negative attitude I have all too often seen expressed here regarding the "Classic" line up, as though now because they are at the forefront they have to be put down for some reason. I see this as not being supportive of Petra in any and all forms, as I believe a true Petra fan should be. Also, I don't assume the world is against me. I have said the things I've said because I've often been attacked for expressing my distaste for the negative attitudes about Classic Petra, mostly by certain people on this board who seem to have a preference for Petra with Schlitt. It's not about me, it's about supporting Petra. I would have the same reaction if I saw someone who preferred the Greg era, being negative about Petra as fronted by John. What sticks in my craw is when certain opinions are protected and defended, while contrary opinions or even opinions like mine which say, hey, let's lose the negatively and support Petra in whatever form it takes are treated like the enemy.

We are Christian brothers and sisters who call ourselves Petheads in support of this great band that we love, but because of personal preferences, we sometimes take on elitist attitudes and become very non Christ like in our behavior towards each other. This is something that should not be. The term Dream Team in and of itself strikes as being a little bit elitist, as it seems rather dismissive of all other incarnations of Petra, but that's just my opinion and it doesn't bother me that people use it, it just bothers me that if someone else expresses another incarnation might be just as good or just as important, they are apparently speaking blasphemy.

Let's face it, there seems to be a great deal of disappointment for some that this reunion isn't the "Dream Team" reunion that they have longed for. I understand that disappointment, but what I'm trying to say is that this reunion is some peoples Dream Team, or least one of the Petra Dream Teams that they loved, regardless of whether or not they were ever called that. This line up was very important to a lot of people and we should all respect that and be supportive.
0 x