Album art released @ classicpetra.com

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Timbo
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Album art released @ classicpetra.com

Post by Timbo » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:26 am

All opinions aside, facts are facts. Petra put out there best stuff between the "This means War" and "Wake up Call" era. And then of course J&H. You can say you don't believe that Chicago exists, but guess what, no matter what you believe, it's there. Has anyone listened to the Greg Volz era Petra lately? Lyrically it is the most Biblical music in existance. But, come on, musically? It is difficullt for me to listen to those songs because they are sooo slow. It is not Rock music. Good lyrics but not Rock. This is why I'm so excited about this new record. They will finally get to play these songs the way they were supposed to be.
0 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985

Post by pmal » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:01 am

Timbo wrote:All opinions aside, facts are facts. Petra put out there best stuff between the "This means War" and "Wake up Call" era. And then of course J&H. You can say you don't believe that Chicago exists, but guess what, no matter what you believe, it's there. Has anyone listened to the Greg Volz era Petra lately? Lyrically it is the most Biblical music in existance. But, come on, musically? It is difficullt for me to listen to those songs because they are sooo slow. It is not Rock music. Good lyrics but not Rock. This is why I'm so excited about this new record. They will finally get to play these songs the way they were supposed to be.
Well, it's not rock music to you but I disagree. There are a lot of folks that wished that the late 80's "hair" style music never had existed at all and instead listen to classic rock all the time, still to this day. There are classic rock stations all over the US. There are people that would never listen to the Dream Team but would love the Volz era and think of that style of music as standing the test of time. Even the Schlittmeister himself wanted to do a "Beat the System" type style of music when he joined the band (from an article I read). So, I disagree with your statement that the Volz era is not rock music. I don't want to rattle off every good rock song from that era but it was great. I've said this before and I will say it again: Petra is a gift from God. God used Petra to reach the lost. Volz was there when the style of music that he sang best was popular and that band was awesome. When the music scene shifted to an edgier, harder rock style, Schlitt was there to transition the band successfully to that era and it was awesome. Neither era would have been as successful without that plan. There's no reason to bicker and argue about it. I love both eras and think that both are equally Petra. We've been blessed! It's time to enjoy this and forget all the politics.
0 x
May the downforce be with you!

Timbo
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Timbo » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:51 am

I agree. Many people came to Christ in those days and that is really what matters. Not opinions about style.
0 x

Toby
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1999

Post by Toby » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:00 am

Preacherman777 wrote:
And now replace Mark by Ronny and we have the dream team again!
For some people this is the dream team.

Oh come on guys, cool down! This was just a joke. ;) I'm very excited about the Classic reunion. For ME the 2nd best thing that could happen relating to PETRA. I hope the guys will rock Switzerland again after 1985. I think you can't compare the Classic and the Dream Team. That would be like comparing apples and pears... So let us go back to the Rock and let everybody have their opinion! ;)

(Sorry for my English)
0 x

JMBJR72
Pethead
Pethead

Post by JMBJR72 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:25 am

I was introduced to Petra during the This Means War album. It is to bad the Petra can not reunite as one! Why is there a Classic Petra / Petra touring why dont they combine together. I am in support of Petra! I personally would like to see Classic Petra with Petra (John and who ever wants to join). Ronny Cates stated that he would like to get together. Have that eras join together!! Make it a Petra reunion instead having it broken up plus would make sense money wise!
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:00 am

Toby wrote:
Preacherman777 wrote:
And now replace Mark by Ronny and we have the dream team again!
For some people this is the dream team.

Oh come on guys, cool down! This was just a joke. ;) I'm very excited about the Classic reunion. For ME the 2nd best thing that could happen relating to PETRA. I hope the guys will rock Switzerland again after 1985. I think you can't compare the Classic and the Dream Team. That would be like comparing apples and pears... So let us go back to the Rock and let everybody have their opinion! ;)

(Sorry for my English)
Don't worry about it man, some of us can take a joke :)
0 x

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:25 pm

pmal wrote:However, the 86-93 era has always been called the "Dream Team" by a vast majority of anyone who still cared about Petra. Not just by a select number of folks on the board but in the press and in other circles as well.
Got some evidence to support that claim? I'd never heard the term "dream team" until I came to this board. I've never heard it mentioned anywhere but here. And, as I've said before, the proper use of the term "dream team" implies the best musician at each prospective instrument. Opinions vary, but it could end up looking something like John Schlitt, Bob Hartman, Louie Weaver, John Slick and Mark Kelly, even though that lineup never played together.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:30 pm

separateunion wrote:
pmal wrote:
Preacherman777 wrote:However, the 86-93 era has always been called the "Dream Team" by a vast majority of anyone who still cared about Petra. Not just by a select number of folks on the board but in the press and in other circles as well.
Got some evidence to support that claim? I'd never heard the term "dream team" until I came to this board. I've never heard it mentioned anywhere but here. And, as I've said before, the proper use of the term "dream team" implies the best musician at each prospective instrument. Opinions vary, but it could end up looking something like John Schlitt, Bob Hartman, Louie Weaver, John Slick and Mark Kelly, even though that lineup never played together.
Yeah they did play together in 86, 87 & even early 88?
0 x

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:37 pm

Daniel wrote:Yeah they did play together in 86, 87 & even early 88?
Read it again.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:40 pm

separateunion wrote:
Daniel wrote:Yeah they did play together in 86, 87 & even early 88?
Read it again.
lol, John Slick.. wouldn't be the first time someone glanced and saw Schlitt...
0 x

CatNamedManny
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1996

Post by CatNamedManny » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:19 pm

separateunion wrote:
pmal wrote:However, the 86-93 era has always been called the "Dream Team" by a vast majority of anyone who still cared about Petra. Not just by a select number of folks on the board but in the press and in other circles as well.
I also have never heard "Dream Team" used outside the Zone. Of course, by the time I was a Petra fan, there was no more "Dream Team"... The phrase obviously comes from the idea that this was the "team" used during Petra's most successful albums. I wish we had some raw album sales numbers to truly see how the band sold from 1987-93 compared to 1983-85, and I wish we could compare them as a percentage of the album sales generated by the Christian rock genre as a whole during those years. That would give us a much better look at whether the success of the Classic Petra era is somewhat underrated, as I think it probably is.
0 x
- Paul

A little disoriented. Getting reoriented.

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:26 pm

I think what really got the dream team pushed was Word records world wide distribution, sadly enough word also brought on the demise due to style shift after WUC. Word already pushed a lot of the early albums as a distributor for Star Song I think... but when Word had them to themselves it really took off. Brent knows a bit more on that.
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:15 pm

Well, the first time I ever heard the term "Dream Team" was when they brought to together the best players from the NBA to form the USA Olympic Basketball team. Therefore, I have always taken the term to mean a line up of your very best players and has been said, when it comes to Petra, that is very much a debatable issue. This is why I have never really cared for the term. If we insist that everyone acknowledge the 86-94 line up as the "Dream Team" than it's kind of dismissive of everyone else who was ever part of the band. Personally, I'm not willing to do that.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:06 am

We all have opinions about everything in life that is what makes us unique, and to be honest no one is right or wrong in this debate.
The style of the Volz Era I liked musically and lyrically, it is rock but imo rock to a lesser degree. Not all 5 elements that were in the band at the time were rock. I'm sorry but Greg in no way shape or form can be considered a rock singer. His voice is suited for folk music and currently pop to light rock to AC. Greg's voice just doesn't fit, he is a great vocalist for songs like More Power To Ya, Road To Zion, and Grave Robber, but anything harder I think his voice is out place.
I'm excited about this reunion and will support with everything I am because Petra deserves this.

My dream team consist of:

Bob
John Schlitt
Louie
Mark
John S/John L-either one will do I think they are interchangeable
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Timbo
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Timbo » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:09 am

I guess it is up for debate if those were the best musicians during those years. But to me, they put out their catchiest tunes during those years. Maybe this is why everyone calls this the dream team era. I think Greg Bailey or Mark Kelly could have played bass on "I am on the Rock" and it would still be an awsome song that I would play over and over. John Slick could have played the intro to "Creed" and played "Prayer" and those still would most likely be awsome songs.
0 x