Classic Petra Blog Mentions John Schlitt

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
billM
Pethead
Pethead

Classic Petra Blog Mentions John Schlitt

Post by billM » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:16 pm

We have had several inquiries from people asking what happened to John Schlitt. As most people know, he took the place of Greg Volz from 1986 until 2005, when the band retired. John went on to have a successful solo career after leaving Petra. He is still a good friend of the band. You could draw some parallels from Journey’s career with Steve Perry leaving his band in 1987, eventually being replaced by Arnel Pineda, who is an amazing singer. To some of the early Journey fans, though, he is not Steve Perry, making it a different “Journey” sound than the one that they originally fell in love with.
Petra acquired many fans during the “John Schlitt years”, who will miss having him up front. But having all the original members of Petra back together, with Greg once again handling front vocals in the new “Classic Petra”, is something that the early fans have longed for, for many years. So, a heartfelt thanks to all of you Petra fans out there, and let us reassure you that all is peaceful in the Petra camp. The guys all have a great love and respect for every member of their band, past and present.
OK, I read everything but never post but now I'm annoyed so please forgive me! "What happened to John Schlitt" "after leaving Petra" "still a good friend of the band" "original members of Petra back together" Whomever is doing this Classic Petra Blog is gonna do a big disservice to the band, worse then Wayne Seboa ever did! Please at least get some facts straight. For one, nothing happened to John Schlitt. he retired as Petra lead singer when Petra retired. He has a successful solo career currently as well as during many of his years with Petra. John Schlitt remains lead singer of Petra during any and all "Petra" reunion shows. So glad that he remains a friend of his own band, one who he shares with founding member Bob Hartman. Volz is the singer of "Classic Petra." The new so called "Classic Petra" is to me a totally different band and does not consist of "original" members as it has been stated. As a matter of fact the new/old "Classic" line-up was really only together for one studio release "Beat the System" and one live release CITAS or CITS (to keep everyone happy) This line-up was together for 2 eyars, 1984 - 1986 I believe, the "Original" Petra line up was from way back in 1972 and went through several members until this line-up was solidified for that two year period. If this is "Classic Petra" the Schlitt fronted band should be known as "Prolific Petra" (Just stating the facts.) To attempt to draw any parallels to Perry & Journey other then that Schlitt is a Perry fan are at best far fetched. Perry was not Journey's first vocalist but he established their classic sound and sung on every one of their hits. Steve Augeri followed by Arnel Pineda are amazing vocalists in their own right but their sole purpose is to recreate as close as possible the recognizable Journey or Steve Perry sound. Jeff Scott Soto fronted Journey for a while but was dismissed prior to recording an album when the band decided to go with their "legacy" sound as they called it with Pineda. Schlitt never, ever tried to copy Volz to make Petra sound the same. I have seen Petra in Stadiums as well as mud holes with both Volz & Schlitt as frontman and each show has been a blessing. I just really feel that in all honesty, c'mon guys lets think before we write, something on the "Official Classic Petra Blog" maybe run it by a few people for accuracy or tact. Is this really how the band wants to be represented? Possibly think a little before something is presented like unfounded tour dates or a Photoshopped in Louie or silly things like the above quote. It just doesn't look professional and gives a usually quiet fan like myself something to say.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Re: Classic Petra Blog Mentions John Schlitt

Post by Dan » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:28 pm

Yeah Bill, the nut who writes that blog has no idea... Wayne at least had tack when he was rude, and just did it to your face.

Classic Petra is great, the manager has no idea at all... that's why this thing has failed..
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:30 pm

Okay, I do get what you're saying...But is it possible this is an honest (if perhaps flawed, and that can be a matter of opinion) attempt to answer some of the questions that have been raised here about why John isn't involved in it and/or how he feels about it? This person may or may not be doing their best to get information out that they believe people are asking for.

Just some thoughts. 8) I've said before, you have to take all this Internet stuff with a grain of salt.

Oh, and Daniel, I didn't know you could have tact and be rude at the same time. I learn something new every day. :lol: But yeah, I do get what you mean by saying what you might have to say to people's face.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:36 pm

Yeah well Wayne is Aussie.. and we will say stuff to your face.. don't hide behind names like churchman777 or what ever... Brent must have a bit of Aussie in him too he says what he thinks too.

Oiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by Shell » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:45 pm

Well, given a choice I would rather deal with someone who is up front about what they think than I would a backstabber.

By the same token, though, you shouldn't be saying things to people you wouldn't want them to be saying to you...Too many people have a double standard where that is concerned. 8)
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:07 pm

Daniel wrote:Yeah well Wayne is Aussie.. and we will say stuff to your face.. don't hide behind names like churchman777 or what ever... Brent must have a bit of Aussie in him too he says what he thinks too.

Oiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!
I resemble that statement. I think I drive like an Aussie too.

Re: The blog. Big deal. It is poorly written in the context of Classic Petra and those members reuniting. They have to show John is cool with it and that the band is not reuniting because of John or to spite John. I know over 50 people at least that have never heard a John Schlitt Petra song (that they know of), but loved the Volz stuff. So, if they are reading the blog, it will make sense to them. They will not have some preconceived idea that there must be some evil conspiracy against John, etc.

What I DO find absurd is that Volz = Perry and John = Arnel. Whatever. Journey is nothing without Perry and that is why their set list is 98% Perry. Nobody looks to Journey for new material that will top Steve Perry era songs. It will not happen. Journey is just a live parody of itself. Petra shifted gears and continued to win awards, write good tunes, and have good shows. To me this is more like Van Halen. Roth had his message, his showmanship and his followers, Sammy had his. Depending on who you ask, one is better than the other. For some of us, it is all good.

Someone needs to drop some coin for a GOOD publicist. This doesn't look good IMO.
0 x

adpetrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by adpetrafan » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:10 pm

Not sure what might be a joke or not in this thread...

To be clear, there are folks out here like me who liked the "classic" era of the band, and who lost all interest in the newer versions after a few albums with John doing vocals. Why is that so hard to believe? I figured that this particular blog entry would finally make some folks here feel better. I should have known better since Sue's posts can't seem to achieve that...

I guess I will never understand joining a fan site to be unhappy about the thing you claim to be a fan of? I wish no ill to the band(s) that Petra became after the version of it that I enjoyed. But their many incarnations all had the same name, and so all have a place here in my opinion.

Oh well, off the soapbox...
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by Shell » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:13 pm

People who actually think anyone could really replace Perry should be locked up in a sound proof room and forced to listen to "I love you and you love me" by Barney all day as far as I am concerned. :mrgreen:

Just kidding. But not about Steve Perry's voice. 8)
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:19 pm

Journey with that little guy from the Philippians is basically Steve Perry Karaoke, how dare this guy representing Classic Petra say such a stupid thing.. Greg is a singer in his own right not doing John S. songs,Greg has an era of Petra songs of his own... nothing like fake new Journey !!!!!!!!!!
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by Shell » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:25 pm

Bad judgment and poor writing as Brent pointed out perhaps? Don't be too rough on the person, they probably are doing their best. And they may not have even been born when Perry sang with Journey. Does anyone know anything about them or how old they are? 8)

Don't blow this up into a big deal. That happens too much around here. :mrgreen:
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:47 pm

that's why this thing has failed..
What thing has failed?
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

billM
Pethead
Pethead

Post by billM » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:56 pm

[/quote] I know over 50 people at least that have never heard a John Schlitt Petra song (that they know of), but loved the Volz stuff. So, if they are reading the blog, it will make sense to them. They will not have some preconceived idea that there must be some evil conspiracy against John, etc.

What I DO find absurd is that Volz = Perry and John = Arnel. Whatever. Journey is nothing without Perry and that is why their set list is 98% Perry. Nobody looks to Journey for new material that will top Steve Perry era songs. It will not happen. Journey is just a live parody of itself. Petra shifted gears and continued to win awards, write good tunes, and have good shows. To me this is more like Van Halen. Roth had his message, his showmanship and his followers, Sammy had his. Depending on who you ask, one is better than the other. For some of us, it is all good.

Someone needs to drop some coin for a GOOD publicist. This doesn't look good IMO.[/quote]

I have to agree that this is much closer to the Mighty Van Halen then Journey. Although I can't imagine 50 people not knowingly knowing Schlitt era Petra that would be reading their blog, be interested in a new release, a tour or for that matter Petra in general at this point in time.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:01 pm

Preacherman777 wrote:
that's why this thing has failed..
What thing has failed?
the blog
0 x

Masada1
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Masada1 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:17 pm

In defense of Arnel...I actually think that in some respects he is a better singer than Perry (I know, blasphemy). Certainly, he is more versatile in his voice...although, as was stated above, without Perry, nobody would even care who was singing for Journey. I totally agree that the comparison is just bad...but I don't get the impression that ill intent was involved. I just think that this is what happens when you have two different versions of a band running around...for those not closely following the band, it's confusing.

For me...this is the "classic" line-up. I came to know Christ through the BTS album and will forever have a serious soft spot in my heart for this particular incarnation. And, I never got to see this line-up because by the time I became a Christian, John was fronting them. And in the interest of disclosure, I saw the various John fronted incarnations in concert around 25 times or so. What can I say...I love Petra. Anyway, most people who would remember Volz era Petra are going to associate this lineup with the name because in many respects, it was this lineup that gave them their biggest exposure...although John Slick could/ should also be legitimately included in that. So, while it may not be a technically correct description, I think it conveys what it is suppose to.

I also agree that Van Halen is a better comparison. When John came to Petra, it was a case of the right man at the right time playing the right music...a "perfect storm," if you will. He was able to take Petra from the foundation that had been laid during the Volz era to new heights. To compare the two is really not fair because both singers operated in such different times. When Volz fronted the band, Christian rock still had a massive stigma attached to it. John experienced some of that and eventually saw the Body accept the ministry that Petra did as legitimate. I can't imagine that John has anything but the utmost respect for Greg and vice versa. But, that is just speculation on my part. Anyway, Petra was able to gather a whole new fanbase with John leading them just as Van Halen did with Hagar, and in the interest of full disclosure...I in fact much prefer Hagar lead Van Halen to Roth lead Van Halen. As to our beloved band...I love both Volz and Schlitt. They both were instrumental in my coming to faith and growing in my walk with God...so for that I am forever grateful to both of them, and all the musicians who have been a part of Petra over the years.
0 x
"Back to the Rock" Classic Petra Fan Forum http://www.classicpetrafan.рroboards.com/

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:36 pm

All I want to know is, who was pestering them so much that they had to say something?
I would be willing to bet that it was someone from this site that just can't leave it alone. John is 60 years old for crying out loud, I'm sure he can deal with the fact that this tour is happening and he is not a part of it. If he can't, then that is his problem. Too many people on this board seem to think that John is a 5 year old and needs help through this crisis, JUST LET IT GO PEOPLE. If you don't want to see this lineup than don't, if you want to see the new lineup that changes every 5 minutes then go see that one, just let those of us who want to see the "classic lineup" be successful have our moment of joy.
0 x