Is Louie restrained?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Is Louie restrained?

Post by fcollazo » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:12 pm

Have you guys noted how little tom fills Louie is doing. It almost sounds like he east asked just to keep the back beat steady and stay put
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Re: Is Louie restrained?

Post by executioner » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:35 pm

Louie has never been the flashy type, this is how he sounds live.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:13 pm

Wait a minute. On citas he is all over the kit. That is nonsense
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

billM
Pethead
Pethead

Post by billM » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:27 pm

Have to disagree. I've seen Louie play live many, many times and on most occasions (when he was not too bored) he played anything but restrained. On several occasions, I think that he may have even "over drummed" if that is possible. I have some live soundboards (that will remain uncirculated) and Louie was all over the place with fills galore and even some intricate tasteful cymbal work. He drums sounded like cannons. Louie always was a "live" drummer, and from what I have heard at least from the premastered versions Classic Petra as a whole sounds a bit restrained to me. Unfortunately so far the stuff sounds dated to me and not fresh. I'm not talking about changing things to much just add some feelin' & flair, make it sound relevant fresh & new . Just listen to Angel of Light, sounds like the 70's. Even the opening riff, its just too straight forward and boring.
0 x

loengard
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1981

Post by loengard » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:47 pm

billM wrote:Unfortunately so far the stuff sounds dated to me and not fresh. I'm not talking about changing things to much just add some feelin' & flair, make it sound relevant fresh & new . Just listen to Angel of Light, sounds like the 70's. Even the opening riff, its just too straight forward and boring.
This is the problem with re-recording existing songs.... If you stay too true to the original, people say you're not fresh and new. If you change things too much, people say you butchered a classic (Double Take, anyone?)....

I think they did a good job on Angel of Light.... If I were the one doing this one (which, of course, I'm not), I would have done the 8th not bass like they did, but I would have toned down the keyboards and upped the tempo... but then people would have said that I butchered it, so I'll revert to my previous statement.

I said this before and I'll say it again - I'm more interested in hearing what the new stuff sounds like.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:54 pm

I wouldn't read to much into it. It is what it is. Rule of thumb in the studio as with a lot of cases is "Less is More."
This could have been the idea. That's a big step to question if Louie was restrained, I doubt the guys are gonna try to put Louie in a box, they know what he can do, they spent a lot of time with each other.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

CatNamedManny
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1996

Post by CatNamedManny » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:51 am

Asking this question based one full song and a few 30-second samples seems a bit premature.
0 x
- Paul

A little disoriented. Getting reoriented.

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:37 am

It may be premature but so far I agree that the drums seem restrained. Too bad really.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:44 pm

Yes, but to imply that someone is putting their thumb on Louie isn’t a really good idea. Louie could have played this way by choice, something he might have felt about making the songs a little more up to date. If you listen to More Power To Ya, it sounds like some programming was involved which is what he’s been doing since No Doubt and PP2.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

cvs2kids
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: All Fired Up
Pethead since: 1983

Post by cvs2kids » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:48 pm

rexreed wrote:It may be premature but so far I agree that the drums seem restrained. Too bad really.
I agree. That was my first impression. Maybe the final version will be more spruced up.
0 x
Well done my good and faithful servant, you may enter with me into paradise.

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:06 pm

I agree. That was my first impression. Maybe the final version will be more spruced up.
I don’t see how mastering an already mixed track is going to somehow make Louie play more on the song.

Isn’t it cool that we’re even talking about Louie recording on a Petra album?
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

ErioL
Pethead
Pethead

Post by ErioL » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:12 pm

bakersfieldpethead wrote:
Isn’t it cool that we’re even talking about Louie recording on a Petra album?
Isn't it sad that we've been afforded so few opportunities to do so?
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:17 pm

He was only off of one studio album and one live album. I don't know how that brings us to just a few opportunites to talk about him.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

CatNamedManny
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1996

Post by CatNamedManny » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:11 pm

bakersfieldpethead wrote:
He was only off of one studio album and one live album. I don't know how that brings us to just a few opportunites to talk about him.
I think we can count on one hand the albums that actually featured Louie playing drums.

He arrived after Never Say Die and performed on MPTY, but Jonathan David Brown basically kicked him off NOTW and BTS because he thought they didn't work well together basically. Then, under the Elefante Brothers, according to other members of the Zone, it was pretty much all pre-recorded drum effects. Louie's comments pre-BTTS, on the other hand, make me think maybe he played on that album. The Elefantes didn't produce PP1 so maybe Louie played that album? On WUC, under Brown Bannister, who is much more a raw producer than the Elefantes, I'm pretty sure he played. After that, I'm not sure. Probably not No Doubt, based on the sound. Maybe PP2? God Fixation? Double Take? Revival? Just not sure on those.

The only ones on which I'm pretty sure I know that I'm hearing Louie's drums are MPTY, CITAS and WUC, and maybe on BTTS and PP1. Others probably know better than I on the later albums.
0 x
- Paul

A little disoriented. Getting reoriented.

ErioL
Pethead
Pethead

Post by ErioL » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:12 pm

bakersfieldpethead wrote:That is the practice with a lot of bands in the music industry. One thing that bugs me about Southern Gospel is that Quartets can call their producer, book the studio all from the road and when they get back from the tour all the music is produced and they just go in and record the vocals according to the charts. No room to put your own personal touch on something unless you're the Gaither Vocal Band. But if you're not the Gaither Vocal Band, here's a selling point, we can make you sound like them.

I agree with you, that if someone is going to be in the band (and they are good enough) then put them on the album. If they are not good enough to represent you in the studio, why do they represent you on the road too???
Interestingly enough, thats not the practice now as much as it was. Bad drum takes can be digitally made "ok" now and many bands operate that way, whereas in the past it would have required physical cutting of the tape, and many times studio musicians were utilized. Theres still definitely a studio musician market, but, from what I understand its not what it was. Maybe Brent can elaborate.
0 x