Digital Downloads or The CD

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Re: Digital Downloads or The CD

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:13 pm

That guy may be smoking some really good crack. Impossible.

Cassettes have wow and flutter to deal with, high distortion, hiss, limited frequency response (on mass produced tapes), cassette shell noise, etc.

Recording onto cassette can sound good. Heck, the head gap is about the same as the track head gap on a 2" multi-track recorder. There were about four really good machines that did well. One of them was by Nakamichi, one by Sony, Tandberg and I forget the other. What made these great were the transports they shared, the ability to adjust the azimuth, and calibrate bias circuits. They were as pro and you could buy in home audio.

Mass produced tapes never had full bandwidth, 20Hz to 20kHz because they were not recorded. How does that work? Well, the tape duplicators actually had a copy of a copy of a production master that basically smashed against the tape you listened to. There weren't record heads hitting the tape. You will notice that if you leave your tapes rewound, that you will hear a faint copy of your music playing before it actually plays at full volume. This is called the "pint through effect". It is the same principle. It is for this reason that you should never rewind your tapes and you should never wind them tightly. You may remember the better decks would slow down when FF or RW tape. This is why.
yeah, what he said
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:04 am

I thought it sounded ridiculous. We were chatting up the show and he said he never bought cd's because he had already purchased the cassettes. I mentioned the difference in sound quality and he repeatedly stuck to his guns saying that he could make it sound better than cd. Right about that time I got a little annoyed and had to step away... I can barely listen to a cassette anymore.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:45 am

I thought it sounded ridiculous
It WAS ridiculous. This guy must have been 6 strings short of a standard guitar.
Sounds like he must have blew too many speakers upstairs.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

Petrapraise
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Petrapraise » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:16 am

I'm downloading the Digital Downloads of the new songs and getting the CD for the rest. I already have a taste of the remakes
0 x
[b]PLEASE VISIT:[/b] [url]https://www.facebook.com/Petrapraise/[/url]
Friend 'PETRAPRAISE' at Facebook.