Digital Downloads or The CD

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Digital Downloads or The CD

Post by Preacherman777 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:06 am

We are just one week away from the release of digital downloads and the CD is suppose to be a week after that. So I've been asking myself whether I want to buy downloads or wait for the CD. First I thought well, maybe I'll just buy the new songs as downloads and then wait for the CD, but then I thought well, I guess I could buy the album as download and buy the CD just help out Petra. Anyone else been thinking about this?
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Re: Digital Downloads or The CD

Post by Dan » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:10 am

The digital downloads will be better quality than the CD, I am not going to the TBN taping.. but did I hear correctly that a DVD will be created from this?
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:23 am

Anything will be better than 16bit 44.1 kHz sample rate of audio cd's. I think Brent went over this once before..
0 x

CatNamedManny
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1996

Post by CatNamedManny » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:29 am

As one of the unwashed masses who doesn't really hear the difference between high-quality and low-quality files, I'm a CD man. I'll probably wait, tough as that will be, then rip the songs to my iTunes. Will they be selling the CD at the TBN taping? That would make a lot of sense, though Nov. 20 is three days before the "week after" Nov. 16 that's been mentioned.
0 x
- Paul

A little disoriented. Getting reoriented.

imc
Pethead
Pethead

Post by imc » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:40 am

Daniel wrote:The digital downloads will be better quality than the CD, I am not going to the TBN taping.. but did I hear correctly that a DVD will be created from this?
Unlikely. The MP3 versions will be no more than 16bit/44.1KHz, but they will be compressed so will sound worse than the CD. The FLAC version could be higher sample rate than the CD, but is unlikely to be (I'd guess 48KHz max) as it needs to be compatible with consumer soundcards. So the FLAC will be the same quality or very slightly better (but not noticable to the best ears in the world) than CD, but the MP3 version will be noticable lower quality than CD.

If you're bothered about quality, go for CD - you can always rip it to FLAC anyway.

*FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec, it is similar to MP3 in that it compresses audio, but different to MP3 in that it is "lossless", it can be decompressed to an identical version of the original source material. The disadvantage to MP3 is it only achieves compression of around 50%, MP3 you can often achieve 90% compression and it still will sound acceptable. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Lossless_Audio_Codec
0 x

ErioL
Pethead
Pethead

Post by ErioL » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:33 am

Since when was digital downloading better than the CD? CDs are as good as its gonna get, unless they're releasing something on vinyl.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:41 am

Are you guys serious... mp3 files can have little or no compression, the file would be big but can have higher specs.. they are selling the Digital downloads themselves so it can be whatever they want... though it will most likely be like other MP3 files 5 to 8 mb size for everyones $2 players.
0 x

Jan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Jan » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:56 am

Haven't decided if I'm going to get it or not.....but if I do, I'll wait until y'all decide which one is the best quality, then go for that. I can wait. 8)
0 x
I love it when Schlitt happens!!

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:59 am

I guess for the purpose of the argument the CD will be better quality unless they give us MP3 that are like 70MB each.

If Classic Petra could fork it, I KNOW they would sell a tonne of vinyl. Abbey Roads still presses records I think.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:01 am

I might buy both.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

imc
Pethead
Pethead

Post by imc » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:16 am

Daniel wrote:Are you guys serious... mp3 files can have little or no compression, the file would be big but can have higher specs.. they are selling the Digital downloads themselves so it can be whatever they want... though it will most likely be like other MP3 files 5 to 8 mb size for everyones $2 players.
MP3's apply lossy data compression to the sound, they are by their very nature compressed (in terms of the file size, not the dynamic range, although that can be affected). They can have different levels of compression, and with the lowest level of compression most people would not tell the difference, but it is still compressed. Audio CD's are not compressed, so they will always provide a higher quality sound than MP3.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:40 am

imc wrote:
Daniel wrote:Are you guys serious... mp3 files can have little or no compression, the file would be big but can have higher specs.. they are selling the Digital downloads themselves so it can be whatever they want... though it will most likely be like other MP3 files 5 to 8 mb size for everyones $2 players.
MP3's apply lossy data compression to the sound, they are by their very nature compressed (in terms of the file size, not the dynamic range, although that can be affected). They can have different levels of compression, and with the lowest level of compression most people would not tell the difference, but it is still compressed. Audio CD's are not compressed, so they will always provide a higher quality sound than MP3.
All I am saying is technically if I create a MP3 24bit @ 48Khz sample rate/ 320KB 70+MB audio file from the original source, 0.01 minimal compression who wins on audio quality ? MP3 does, and obviously WAV is better always.
0 x

imc
Pethead
Pethead

Post by imc » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:51 am

Daniel wrote: All I am saying is technically if I create a MP3 24bit @ 48Khz sample rate/ 320KB 70+MB audio file from the original source, 0.01 minimal compression who wins on audio quality ? MP3 does, and obviously WAV is better always.

FLAC is new to me.. will read up.
except that most mp3 players do not support 24bit audio and would convert it to 16 bit, so I'd be surprised if anyone made 24 bit MP3's available commercially. So in your example you'd be talking about 48KHz at 16 bit, plus a small amount of compression. Not sure it could be claimed to be "better" than CD quality. As good as perhaps, but "better" implies there would be a noticeable difference, which there wouldn't be.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:14 pm

Dead serious!! The CD quality is clearly better hands down. You lose so much instrumentation in DDL. I urge you to buy both and listen to both with high quality Head phones and the first thing you will say is where did all the instruments go on the DDL? DDL can only carry about half of the sounds of a CD.
I will also tell you if you have been buying only DDL over the last few years I would go and buy a few CD's and see what your missing out on. This is why I feel the CD will never completely die out.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:18 pm

I will buy both but will most likely listen to DDL when needed. I listen mostly to CD's to get all the sound that is available.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!