Is it just me or...

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
prem
Pethead
Pethead

Is it just me or...

Post by prem » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:09 pm

Does anyone else want to break out into a rousing chorus of 'Ah, look at all the lonely people' from the Beatles' Eleanor Rigby when they hear the first few notes of the new string intro to 'Rose Colored Stained Glass Windows' from BTTR?

---Prem
0 x

superfly
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Is it just me or...

Post by superfly » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:47 pm

Oh my, you are right! I knew it was triggering some kind of memory for me but couldn't quite place it.
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:15 pm

Yes, I caught that too. Perhaps a tribute since it was mastered at Abbey Road.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:35 pm

Most overated band of all time
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

SCJ-7
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 1988

Post by SCJ-7 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:49 pm

Yes, he is right. That new intro sounds like the Beatles.
0 x
"Never perfect but perfectly forgiven"...

Petrapraise
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Petrapraise » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:02 pm

I thought that the first time I heard those first few notes. I had to play them back a few times to figure out which beatle song it reminded me of.
0 x
[b]PLEASE VISIT:[/b] [url]https://www.facebook.com/Petrapraise/[/url]
Friend 'PETRAPRAISE' at Facebook.

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:52 pm

I can hear a slight reference to it. But Eleanor Rigby is faster and the rhythm is different.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:19 am

executioner wrote:Most overated band of all time
Yes, U2 is the most overrated band of all time. I'm glad you agree.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:00 am

Now there's something I agree with.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:46 am

U2 is somewhat overated but I do like some of their product. The Beatles were nothing but a glorified girly band. The simpliest of music ever heard.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:23 am

I won’t listen to U2 or the Beatles. I got turned off to U2 when Bono started cussing in their songs. Then when I read an interview with Bono where he described the song Mysterious Ways explaining he saw the Holy Spirit as a woman and the song was about that.

Plus just like the Rolling Stones, Bono never has had real control over his voice, if you listen to the album BOY you’ll see that Bono sounded bad and couldn’t sing worth anything. It’s amazing how U2 and The Rolling Stones became legends when they are not really that musically skilled. Larry Mullin Jr is one of the calmest and dead beat drummers around, nothing interesting with his playing at all. Adam Clayton is repetitive with his bass playing which is why it must have been so easy for them to embrace the techno dance style in the 90s. Edge is probably the most musically gifted out of them all but even at that there is nothing really new he’s played in the last 20 years. Same effects different song.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:20 pm

executioner wrote:The Beatles were nothing but a glorified girly band. The simpliest of music ever heard.
I think they were that early on, but they were very experimental in their later years.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

curt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by curt » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:12 pm

I have never understood how The Beatles got that popular. It's very simple, noisy, childish, predictable and boring in my oppinion. And you won't find any very talented musician in the band. Some people might like the melodies, but the way they perform is not very talented.

I believe part of suchs a bands "legacy" is that there is some sort of cult (not in a religious sence) of people who always claim, that The Beatels were "the first of their kind", which is not as true as it may sound. And there is always a lot of arguing that there is a certain "feel" to the music, which might be true for some people, but it doesn't change the fact that their music is simple, they are not very talented musicians etc. So, yes, in my oppinion, they are very overrated. They were what Take That are these days: People playing easily understandable pop music, good looking men who tend to attract a lot af women.
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:08 pm

What you guys have tio understand us that almost every style of rock was invented by the beatles. Before them there were only the chord rock and roll baseline songs, and the idea of a rock band was almost unheard off, mostly it was a guy and his band. The beatles created heavy metal with helter skelter, and even played ska on you know my name. They added orchestra sounds to rock, and so on. You do some research first.
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:27 pm

fcollazo wrote:What you guys have tio understand us that almost every style of rock was invented by the beatles. Before them there were only the chord rock and roll baseline songs, and the idea of a rock band was almost unheard off, mostly it was a guy and his band. The beatles created heavy metal with helter skelter, and even played ska on you know my name. They added orchestra sounds to rock, and so on. You do some research first.
I think you’re leaving out other groups that came out just before or around the same time. The Beach Boys were also a band and not “Brian Wilson & The Beach Boys”

Most of us know what the general public thinks The Beatles did for music. The Beach Boys were right there hand in hand doing the same thing. They did open a door showing the direction of what we could do, but for the most part it was for the production side of things; we can do more in the recording studio, but all The Beatles and Beach Boys did was show us the idea.

The Beatles didn’t have a good sense of production early on, George Martin can be quoted saying of how their skills didn’t advance in songwriting and playing music until around “Help” everything before that was pretty much the same thing over and over again. From “Help” on is where the other notes they were known for playing started coming into focus. But for the most part John went from fighting off a gay relationship with their manager to drugs, to bad spiritual advice to ending his marriage with a decent woman and jumping in the sack with a crazy lunatic for a woman named yoko ono and then becoming one of the loudest none sense speakers of the 20th Century.

How a circus themed drug influenced album “Sgt Pepper” became the number 1 album of all time, I do not know? Petsounds (no 2) should have been number 1, it was the album that inspired Sgt Pepper in the first place. John didn’t even write the lyrics to “Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite” They just put music to a vintage Circus Advertisement that John found in an antique shop.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)