question on live recording...

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Re: question on live recording...

Post by executioner » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:45 pm

Masada1 wrote:I ABSOLUTELY and COMPLETELY disagree with both Desoto and Curt. I was one who was at the TBN taping and had to drive close to 300 miles to get there. I sat down next to the guy from Norway and had a wonderful time reminiscing about Petra as we waited 2+ hours for the show to start (we got there early). It was an amazing testimony to the endurance of that era of Petra that over half the audience had traveled 300+ miles to see them.

The show was wonderful...yes it was a mix of live feed and track and yes the stage volume could have been louder, but it is what it is. It was a visually stunning show and what I've been waiting to see from Petra for years and havent since the Unseen Power days. I was ministered too in an amazing way and felt more refreshed in the Lord than I have in a very long time. Greg gave a fantastic summary of why they all got back together to do this and the mission that all of them were committed to.

All this back and forth about Classic Petra being a sham or something other than what it is just aggravates me to no end. It's disrespectful to Petra...it's disrespectful to fans of that era and more importantly, it's disrespectful to God. Regardless of your personal feelings...if they feel God is calling them to do this...they need to be obedient to HIM...not members of the Zone.

I discovered something Saturday night. I met all sorts of people who had traveled any number of miles to see Petra. Only a handful were even vaguely aware that this board exists and those whoo were aware were not regular posters primarily because of the negative attitude some have here (I know, that attitude is just in our minds...even though virtually everyone that I met who only occassionly checked this Zone out picked up on it). Classic Petra WILL be a success...because God is in it. Or it won't...because He isn't. I believe that it will having seen them Saturday and had a chance to hear from their hearts. Either way, it is God who is responsible for the harvest...not those of us who snipe from the sidelines. The fact is...there is a huge group of people who LOVE BTTR and are excited about future of Classic Petra. To be truthful, I was hesitant to even direct people to this board for fear of what they would read here...a fear that has proven to be grounded.

I was going to post a review of this show and the pictures I got...but quite honestly...I'm just done with the Zone. No longer will I call myself a Pethead. I am and forever will be a fan of Petra in whatever version exists...but I have finally after 10 + years reached my tolerance limit. Bless all of you that I've met over the years. I wish you continued success in whatever you find yourself doing.

Eric
you spoke from your heart and I commend you for that, but what you have to realize is the ones you disagree with also spoke from their heart.
If someone chooses to stay away from the zone because they disagree or think its negative and such well then its there loss. You should never censor someone because you disagree with them or they bring what you call a negative vibe. It's time to be a man and stop running with your tail tucked between your legs.
    0 x
    FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

onyx
    Pethead
    Pethead

Post by onyx » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:29 pm

Masada,

I agree with you. I do hope you'll come back. If you do, please post your pictures and share the story Greg told about how all the guys got back together. It is difficult with all the arm chair musicans around here sometimes, but many of us really are very excited about Classic Petra and we're (I) am eager to hear about what they're doing. :-)
    0 x

bakersfieldpethead
    Pethead Fanatic
    Pethead Fanatic
    #1 Album: Wake-Up Call
    Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:53 am

Masada,

Don't go off and leave, you'll miss all my parody songs. 8) plus we all have to stick it out. we're a family. And by the way, just because this is called The Petra Zone dosn't mean that the Zone owns the rights to the name Pethead. All Petra fans are Petheads everywhere around the world.
    0 x
    8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
    "I have been young, now I am old-ish"

DeSoto
    Pethead
    Pethead

Post by DeSoto » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:57 am

Masada1 wrote:All this back and forth about Classic Petra being a sham or something other than what it is just aggravates me to no end. It's disrespectful to Petra...it's disrespectful to fans of that era and more importantly, it's disrespectful to God. Regardless of your personal feelings...if they feel God is calling them to do this...they need to be obedient to HIM...not members of the Zone.
    Sorry, but with all due respect, it´not ur call to make, whats disrespectful to PETRA oder to GOD. If having an opinion of my own is desrespectful than so be it. It is the same as some years ago. I postet here, that I expect PETRA to disband, when Louie was thrown out. PETRA is, alsways has been and always will be a band of truly to God commited people. But stilll people. THey are not more or less holy than u or me. I think, that bringen classic PETRA back is a great idea. I think, the way they have done it so far is not even slightly a great idea. There would have been so much potential in this project. And sorry, in my opinion they blew the chance so far.
    The music buisness moved on. Getting 5 guys on a stage performing the songs of the album is one thing. Doing an DVD is another thing. A DVD has so much potential and PETRA has so much experience...for the moment the whole thing sounds like getting back the old times and nothing more.
    Look at other bands how they did it. Bloodgood, Whitecross, Stryper, they all came back but quite in an other way. Even Whitecross´ rerecording of their first album was in my thinking entierly different. I would love to have new recordings of old dongs, but they have to sound like 2010 and not like 1985. And the PETRA-songs partially sound like 2010, but they sound FOR MY EARS too much like 1985. I like listening ti BTTR but it´s not what I expected...
    0 x

Toby
    Pethead
    Pethead
    #1 Album: Beyond Belief
    Pethead since: 1999

Post by Toby » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:27 am

DeSoto wrote:
    Masada1 wrote:All this back and forth about Classic Petra being a sham or something other than what it is just aggravates me to no end. It's disrespectful to Petra...it's disrespectful to fans of that era and more importantly, it's disrespectful to God. Regardless of your personal feelings...if they feel God is calling them to do this...they need to be obedient to HIM...not members of the Zone.
    Sorry, but with all due respect, it´not ur call to make, whats disrespectful to PETRA oder to GOD. If having an opinion of my own is desrespectful than so be it. It is the same as some years ago. I postet here, that I expect PETRA to disband, when Louie was thrown out. PETRA is, alsways has been and always will be a band of truly to God commited people. But stilll people. THey are not more or less holy than u or me. I think, that bringen classic PETRA back is a great idea. I think, the way they have done it so far is not even slightly a great idea. There would have been so much potential in this project. And sorry, in my opinion they blew the chance so far.
    The music buisness moved on. Getting 5 guys on a stage performing the songs of the album is one thing. Doing an DVD is another thing. A DVD has so much potential and PETRA has so much experience...for the moment the whole thing sounds like getting back the old times and nothing more.
    Look at other bands how they did it. Bloodgood, Whitecross, Stryper, they all came back but quite in an other way. Even Whitecross´ rerecording of their first album was in my thinking entierly different. I would love to have new recordings of old dongs, but they have to sound like 2010 and not like 1985. And the PETRA-songs partially sound like 2010, but they sound FOR MY EARS too much like 1985. I like listening ti BTTR but it´s not what I expected...
    For me PETRA found the right balance on BTTR. I think we should wait until the "real" live shows. For me it's great to see finaly a "real" band on stage and not a bunch of hired guns like after 1995. Now drop the "Classic" and everything is cool to me. :)
    0 x

Timbo
    Pethead
    Pethead

Post by Timbo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:05 am

Desoto and Curt. There are a lot of fans in denial here on the zone. Petra could have made quite a come back if they would have continued with the J&H style Petra. I believe at one point after J&H came out that Bob said he was exited about the future of this rendition of Petra having a lot of new material ready to go. And then they retired. Back to the Rock just doesn't live up to the Petra legacy.
    0 x

Preacherman777
    Pethead Fanatic
    Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:57 am

The real problem is that you have so many people expecting Petra to live up to a legacy they have created in their own minds, which is mostly based on where Petra was when they left off with John. As I have said and will continue to say, this is not that Petra and this Petra never intended to be that Petra. This Petra is for the fans of the classic years and honestly, I don't hear a lot of those fans complaining.

There has been so much criticism of how they have done this come back, how they did it wrong and how it could have been so much more successful and yet, when I look at it, it looks pretty successful. They sold out the DVD taping (even though it was free) and by the sounds of things the album is selling big time, even before it's available on CD. Most of the comments from people who were actually at this show say that the people seemed happy, even the ones who traveled far. So really, the only negatively I've been hearing is from arm chair quarterbacks here at the Zone. I can understand why Eric feels the way he does. There are plenty of us who see what he sees and I guess most of us have found that in order to be part of this place we'll just have to grit our teeth and bear it, but I understand why he wouldn't want to introduce any fans to this place. If the Zone offered half the support to Classic Petra that it offered to past Petra projects with John, it would be different, but in reality, that's just not what we have here.

I've been disappointed by a few of choices they've made as well, but I refuse to focus on that and declare it a failure before it's barely even begun. I'm sure the guys will take what they've done and build on it as they get feedback from the fans, but the Zone should not make itself out to be more important than it is. Most of the fans now do not reside here. By the sounds of things, this little board has become fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of Classic Petra fans. I have full confidence that these are five guys who love God and who wish to serve his purposes and it looks to me like God is blessing the effort. This thing could have really had a disappointing turn out like the free farewell concert, but it didn't, people are really interested in this in a way they haven't been interested in Petra for a long time, so go ahead, be as critical as you wanna be, focus on the negative all you like, but God will do what He intends to do with this regardless of where you stand or what you say.
    0 x
    If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

Dan
    Pethead Fanatic
    Pethead Fanatic
    #1 Album: This Means War!
    Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:26 am

I think the problem is peoples imagination lets them run wild thinking these guys are still young. From what I have seen on the videos that have appeared on youtube, anyone who didn't go missed out on something big. I just hope they come down to Phoenix at some stage. I think the guys did a extraordinary job and it sounded like Louie was punching it on the drums.

I am sick of people complaining about the zone, so many people have invested money for the love of Petra's ministry, what thanks do we get nothing. The zone is of no use anymore, especially if people keep complaining about free speech. I really don't know why we bother. Maybe it time for the site to close.
    0 x

rossistheboss
    Pethead
    Pethead
    Pethead since: 1989

Post by rossistheboss » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:30 am

Preach it Preacherman. I totally agree. I had a quibble or two with the album, as well as a quibble about how over half the show was canned... but... I would give Classic Petra a 8/10 so far on this comeback.
    I was at the DVD taping and after a couple days of reflection, I think they made a solid choice in going for perfection with the DVD instead of that raw concert feel. It was an awesome awesome night and everyone had a blast. Sure, some die-hard fans wish it were a raw experience, but this tour hasn't even started yet... when it does, and it is all live, it's going to be great. They produced a very good album that is faithful to their days of glory, and as I've said before, this DVD will be the best in Petra's history as far as quality. It looked amazing at the meet and greet on the HD TVs.

The reason I don't give this comeback a 10/10 so far is because I feel the advertising and website could be a lot better. However, I understand $$ is an issue.

Anywho, this Classic Petra thing is just getting started, and I feel they are going to be fine. They are just setting up a firm foundation for it 8)

If this truly is a GOD thing like the band said it was on Sat night, then God will have it His way, and that's encouraging.
    0 x

Preacherman777
    Pethead Fanatic
    Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:41 am

Daniel, for me it's not a complaint about free speech. I'm all for it. But I've been saying all along that this should be place where people can come to get excited about what's going on with Petra and in the past I think it always was. I've been part of the Zone for over a decade and I've enjoyed it and have always been glad it was here. But there has been a different attitude about this project. I've never seen this place so divided, some are super excited and really seem to want it to succeed and others, well, not so much or at least that's the way it looks to me and I just can't get in sync with that mentality. I mean for Heaven's sake, I even tried to be optimistic about Double Take, but in the end, it was what it was and there's a reason it's one of their most unpopular albums, but that's beside the point. I don't have a problem with criticism, but things like trashing certain members of the band for being there or pronouncing a project doomed before it barely gets off the ground is just sour grapes and it shows that for some, loyalty to the band is very conditional. So ok, this is just my opinion, this is just my free speech.
    0 x
    If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

executioner
    Extreme Pethead Fanatic
    Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:47 am

Preacherman777 wrote:The real problem is that you have so many people expecting Petra to live up to a legacy they have created in their own minds, which is mostly based on where Petra was when they left off with John. As I have said and will continue to say, this is not that Petra and this Petra never intended to be that Petra. This Petra is for the fans of the classic years and honestly, I don't hear a lot of those fans complaining.

There has been so much criticism of how they have done this come back, how they did it wrong and how it could have been so much more successful and yet, when I look at it, it looks pretty successful. They sold out the DVD taping (even though it was free) and by the sounds of things the album is selling big time, even before it's available on CD. Most of the comments from people who were actually at this show say that the people seemed happy, even the ones who traveled far. So really, the only negatively I've been hearing is from arm chair quarterbacks here at the Zone. I can understand why Eric feels the way he does. There are plenty of us who see what he sees and I guess most of us have found that in order to be part of this place we'll just have to grit our teeth and bear it, but I understand why he wouldn't want to introduce any fans to this place. If the Zone offered half the support to Classic Petra that it offered to past Petra projects with John, it would be different, but in reality, that's just not what we have here.

I've been disappointed by a few of choices they've made as well, but I refuse to focus on that and declare it a failure before it's barely even begun. I'm sure the guys will take what they've done and build on it as they get feedback from the fans, but the Zone should not make itself out to be more important than it is. Most of the fans now do not reside here. By the sounds of things, this little board has become fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of Classic Petra fans. I have full confidence that these are five guys who love God and who wish to serve his purposes and it looks to me like God is blessing the effort. This thing could have really had a disappointing turn out like the free farewell concert, but it didn't, people are really interested in this in a way they haven't been interested in Petra for a long time, so go ahead, be as critical as you wanna be, focus on the negative all you like, but God will do what He intends to do with this regardless of where you stand or what you say.
    1. I've only seen a few here that have not been all positive about Classic Petra. I've personally said some things that have come across as negative and If I've hurt someone's feelings I'm truly sorry(sounds like 5th grade all over again), but I've spoke the truth about what I believe and got to respect someone would have enough you know what to stand up and say anything. I do disagree with the ones that want to run away to another board because they got hurt, but also at the same time I respect their opinions.
    2. The free Farewell taping did not have a disappointing turn out; There were somewhere in the neighborhood of 200-250 fans turned away because of lack of room. I wonder how many were turned away on Saturday. BTW you always seem to take a competitive shot in your posts comparing CP and P.
    3.I personally like the new CD; there are few omissions I would have left off, but overall I'm giving it a 7/10.
    4. I think why some(very few) feel like this has been a failure is the original posting by management describing what they have planned and basically haven't lived up too. I feel they let the cat out of the bag too early and yes in someways it looks like they misled us to believe this thing is bigger than what it really is.
    (a) We were told a three album deal cut with Sony. Where is Sony in all this? Now we are being told they have plans for another album but this one really needs to do well.
    (b) 40+ date tour scheduled for this fall. They tried but had very few(if any) takers. A few festivals have lined up for the spring/summer but that is it. I know a promoter here in Dallas has tried to bring them in, but their demands are for 28k upfront, plus all airline, instrument shipping cost, and hotel costs for a 70 minute show including testimonies and talk. I'm told at that cost the promoter usually get a 110-120 minute show with a meet and greet the day before at a Lifeway or Mardel, plus a radio interview(which 89.7 here would be up for) plus a meet and greet after show. Petra management has several times refused those terms except for the meet and greet after the show. This promoter has told me personally that their terms are very unreasonable and the promoters he knows are all gone on to book other artists and basically has stopped trying to bring CP in.

I think they five bands members have done a great job bringing this product out, but their management is actually acting somewhat unprofessional in what they said from the beginning and then what is actually been put on the table as of now.
    I think in this cases I guess we need to just choose to disagree and go on about what we are doing, but going to another board because its not all flowers and roses here is really in my opinion is taking the chicken way out.
    0 x

jonmcg93
    Pethead
    Pethead
    #1 Album: More Power To Ya
    Pethead since: 1985

Post by jonmcg93 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:52 am

rexreed wrote: It has to be the hokiest channel out there, but at least it is out there and decided to give Petra a special. Where else is Petra going to reach the people that fit the Petra demo?
    That's my thoughts on this as well. It wasn't billed as a concert being recorded as a live album, it was presented as a TV taping. Had my daughter not just been born three days before the show I would have been there. I eagerly await tour dates so I can go see them. My first ever "christian rock" cassette was CITAS so... to say I'm stoked is putting it mildly.

BTW I'm new but I've been lurking for what seems like forever..
    0 x

Dan
    Pethead Fanatic
    Pethead Fanatic
    #1 Album: This Means War!
    Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:53 am

Yes I agree with everything you said Preacher, but a lot of us have changed our attitude after being lifetime John Petra fans. I have pulled my head in myself to embrace this new path for Petra. I think we could all be more constructive on here in respect to classic.

If everyone creates their own boards, then they will not be free speech unlike the zone... I only delete a comments when requested.

I have been on here a decade too, and in the last 12 months there has been a lot of change, humans by nature hate change.. but I think a lot of people are warming up to the idea of Classic Petra lineup.

If someone can't handle free speech then it would be best to go to another board, where it is controlled.

I was sad to read the negative comment about the TBN taping, what am I supposed to do delete them?? if not on the zone they will appear somewhere else...
    0 x

rexreed
    Pethead Fanatic
    Pethead Fanatic
    Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:02 am

welcome aboard jon!
    0 x

executioner
    Extreme Pethead Fanatic
    Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:19 am

Preacherman777 wrote:Daniel, for me it's not a complaint about free speech. I'm all for it. But I've been saying all along that this should be place where people can come to get excited about what's going on with Petra and in the past I think it always was. I've been part of the Zone for over a decade and I've enjoyed it and have always been glad it was here. But there has been a different attitude about this project. I've never seen this place so divided, some are super excited and really seem to want it to succeed and others, well, not so much or at least that's the way it looks to me and I just can't get in sync with that mentality. I mean for Heaven's sake, I even tried to be optimistic about Double Take, but in the end, it was what it was and there's a reason it's one of their most unpopular albums, but that's beside the point. I don't have a problem with criticism, but things like trashing certain members of the band for being there or pronouncing a project doomed before it barely gets off the ground is just sour grapes and it shows that for some, loyalty to the band is very conditional. So ok, this is just my opinion, this is just my free speech.
    Trashing of certain members? When has this happened?
    0 x