BTTR Part 2 and 3 Track List Speculation?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Re: BTTR Part 2 and 3 Track List Speculation?

Post by executioner » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:39 am

Good list but I see them sticking in the 1981-1985 years. King's Ransom is John Era song and could be done at a later date with John behind the Mic.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

CatNamedManny
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1996

Post by CatNamedManny » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:36 am

Yeah, I see "Road to Zion" being done, for sure. It was Petra's second monster hit after "The Coloring Song" and basically catapulted MPTY (and Petra) into a whole different level within the Christian music community.

I'd definitely be rooting for remakes of "Pied Piper," "Killing My Old Man," "All Over Me" and "Beat the System." They remake those, and I'll be a happy man. I still wish they'd redo the two "lost" songs off Washes Whiter Than, but it seems like they're only doing NSD-BTS tracks.
0 x
- Paul

A little disoriented. Getting reoriented.

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:20 pm

Heck, I just wish I could just get the two lost songs from WWT. I had the tape many years ago and they were good songs.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

CatNamedManny
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1996

Post by CatNamedManny » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:19 pm

Preacherman777 wrote:Heck, I just wish I could just get the two lost songs from WWT. I had the tape many years ago and they were good songs.
I downloaded them from a Petra fansite (I forget which one) some years ago. Not the greatest qualities, as they obviously were ripped either from the LP or the cassette, but good enough to get an idea for the feel of the songs.
0 x
- Paul

A little disoriented. Getting reoriented.

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:17 am

I have good quality rips in 192 kbps .mp3-format. Send me an e-mail and I can get them to you.
0 x

RockOn
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Jekyll and Hyde
Pethead since: 1982

Post by RockOn » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:41 am

As far as preferences for songs on the next CD (from Never Say Die to Beat the System), here are some of my favorites.

From Never Say Die:
1. "Without Him We Can Do Nothing"
2. "Praise Ye the Lord"

From More Power To Ya:
1. "Stand Up"
2. "Judas' Kiss"
3. "Disciple" with Mark Kelly on vocals

From Not of this World:
1. "Not of this World"
2. "Blinded Eyes"

From Beat the System:
1. "Beat the System"
2. "It Is Finished"
3. "God Gave Rock and Roll to You"

Then 2 new ones.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:23 pm

This is what I'm seeing Album #2 will be 12 tracks of all remade classics, and they will be saving the new tunes for album#3. Here is the list of what I want to hear.

1. Chamelon
2. Killing My Old Man
3. For Annie
4. Judas' Kiss
5. Run For the Prize
6. Road To Zion
7. Blinded Eyes
8. Not By Sight
9. Occupy
10. Beat The System
11. Voice In The Wind
12. Witch Hunt

I think all of these have a great shot except for Occupy and Witch Hunt. If these two are left off then Stand Up and Speak to The Sky would fall right in line I feel.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985

Post by pmal » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:40 pm

My picks include the older albums and an expanded song list. I hope they decide to re-think and stick with the current format they are using (10+2).

1. Get Back to the Bible
2. Storm Comin'
3. Walkin in the Light
4. God Gave Rock and Roll To You
5. Without You I Would Surely Die
6. Morning Star
7. Why Should the Father Bother
8. Chameleon
9. Without Him We Can Do Nothing
10. Praise Ye the Lord
11. Stand Up
12. Run for the Prize
13. Disciple
14. Blinded Eyes
15. Pied Piper
16. Beat the System
17. It is Finished
18. Voice in the Wind
19. Witch Hunt
20. Speak to the Sky
0 x
May the downforce be with you!

bjh
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War
Pethead since: 1987

Post by bjh » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:00 pm

BTTR2 -
Chameleon - if GXV still has it in him... if he does, this will be the first track.
Without Him We Can Do Nothing
Praise Ye the Lord
Blinded Eyes
Pied Piper
Voice in the Wind
It is Finished
Disciple
Road to Zion
Not By Sight

You know, with John having done a number of "Greg's songs" over the years, it would be interesting to see if they do any of "John's Songs". Something tells me they won't.... or at least not yet.
0 x
BJH

"Through the ages it will ring... to Jehovah we will sing!"

johntheumfreak
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 2003

Post by johntheumfreak » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:16 pm

CatNamedManny wrote:
Preacherman777 wrote:Heck, I just wish I could just get the two lost songs from WWT. I had the tape many years ago and they were good songs.
I downloaded them from a Petra fansite (I forget which one) some years ago. Not the greatest qualities, as they obviously were ripped either from the LP or the cassette, but good enough to get an idea for the feel of the songs.
I think it was GuidetoPetra. The audio section was deleted in '05 to make room for bandwidth. I got Magic Words, but the other one would never download right. Then I got it from Youtube a few weeks ago.
0 x

zak89
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Petra Praise 2
Pethead since: 2002

Post by zak89 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:35 pm

For the second remake album, I'm guessing (not in order, obviously):

Not of This World - easy; has been confirmed)
Road to Zion - old classic, I'm sure it'll be there
The Coloring song - their first "hit", I think it'll make it as well
Praise Ye The Lord AND/OR Without Him We Can Do Nothing - both GXV songs, I'm sure he'll push for at least one of them
It is finished - Undisputed classic
God Gave Rock and Roll To You - *
Judas' Kiss - Need I explain?
Stand Up - This was always a staple when Greg was fronting the band - at least in a medley **
Why Should the Father Bother? - another old time classic - and I think Greg appreciates the ballads... 8)
Beat the System - Makes sense, sense it's the title cut of the only studio album these guys did together.
[new song]
[new song]

*This will be very interesting - Petra obviously (and deliberately) "retired" this song, a move which I happen agree with - but I doubt Greg shares Bob's concerns about it (I could be wrong - in concert Greg went to great lengths to try to convince the audience that there was in fact a deeper message to the song). In any case, I suspect this will be/has been a point of intense discussion - it's no doubt a classic, but is it a song that CP wants to associate itself with?

** Which brings me to another question - will the next album feature any medleys? They've been a part of Petra concerts since NoTW IIRC, but they've never recorded any. The first album didn't, so I suspect there won't be, but it would be a way to pack "more" tunes into the album.

Favorites of mine that I'd like to see (but doubt will make the cut) would be:

Speak to the Sky - not popular enough IMO
Voice in the Wind - ditto - these two are some of my favorite underrated Petra songs
Chameleon - like BJH alluded, not sure GXV can do justice to the intro of this one anymore. If he has any tricks up his sleeve, this is where he'll do it.

I highly doubt any John-era songs will be done - but I can think of a few "Back to The Street" tunes that Volz would fit well into. I think John doing Greg songs is more natural than the other way around - John was basically carrying on some of Petra's legacy (right word? maybe history?), where as Greg would be singing, as a "piece of the past", the "future" - well, that's not a clear expression, but I think you can get my point.

I also don't think any pre-Greg stuff will be done, but we'll see. Come and Join Us sounds awesome with Greg singing it - check out some of the live recordings from the petrafiles site.

I'm really looking forward to the "new" album - obviously we can't speculate much on the track list for that, but wouldn't it be cool if they redo the rumored track cut from J&H ("It's a New Day")? I have no idea what it was about, but the title at least sounds most appropriate for a Petra "rebirth". Could make an awesome title track!
0 x

zak89
Pethead
Pethead

Post by zak89 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:39 pm

I should also wish a hearty welcome to bjh - I've been reading his posts over at the prmw forum since 2004 - met him in person at our church in STL last year, and only found out it was him last week! Small world. Or as my dad says, big world - narrow way. Narrower still if you filter us down to "petheads" that still bother to post on a forum.
0 x

bjh
Pethead
Pethead

Post by bjh » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:25 pm

zak89 wrote:I should also wish a hearty welcome to bjh - I've been reading his posts over at the prmw forum since 2004 - met him in person at our church in STL last year, and only found out it was him last week! Small world. Or as my dad says, big world - narrow way. Narrower still if you filter us down to "petheads" that still bother to post on a forum.
Zak89, you are too kind. Thank you. As to the bit about "petheads that still bother to post on a forum", it is nice to have something to post about.

Never say Die!
BJH
0 x
BJH

bjh
Pethead
Pethead

Post by bjh » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:14 pm

Incidentally, zak89, thanks also for the "confirmations" I hadn't heard - I just found the "Classic Petra Q & A". It will be interesting to hear Beat the System with a more J&H feel (as I would describe BTTR) - it sounds more "live" than "synthesized". That being said, was there a studio album that they did together? I thought I remembered that Beat the System was recorded with synthesized drums and bass (Fairlight Programming), but checked the CD and couldn't find it... Oh well, I guess if Wikipedia says it, it must be true. :lol:

I disagree with Judas Kiss - I could be wrong, but I don't think it will be on the album. Of all the "classic" songs, this one has been done by John for years. Of course, Greg might say "MINE! I want it back!" :) We'll see soon enough, I think.
0 x
BJH

zak89
Pethead
Pethead

Post by zak89 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:16 pm

And I remember when this was just a "what if" topic - I still have a hard time believing this whole thing is genuine - and I'm holding the disc in hands!

Hmm... Never thought about John and Judas' Kiss - I'm not sure - Rose Colored Stained Glass Windows was done by John regularly, and yet Greg did it at the Farewell and BTTR.

I personally agree that BTTR reminds me of J&H, but that's to my "uncultured" ears - those who are accustomed to the intricacies of production will probably disagree (this means you Brent!). I tend to judge by the sound of the guitar - and there I really think it is similar - which makes sense as it would reflect Bob's newer style.

Yeah, IIRC BTS was basically a programed set of tracks with keyboard leads, guitars and vocals over dubbed. The most produced album Petra ever did - it doesn't surprise me they changed producers shortly thereafter!
0 x