BTTR Part 2 and 3 Track List Speculation?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Re: BTTR Part 2 and 3 Track List Speculation?

Post by Dan » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:59 pm

executioner wrote:
Daniel wrote:I like the guitar strumming on Pied Piper, it's the only song with that strumming style on any Petra record.
That is one thing that has bothered me about it; It doesn't sound like Bob playing and I've often wonder if its really him. A few years back I emailed him about it and he never truly said he actually played the song; I can't remember his exact words but he kinda gave me a political type answer and he made me wonder even more.
lol your funny, I am sure Bob knows how to play like that! I don't know how anyone can't like Pied Piper, it's so groovy!

0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:47 pm

Mountain Man wrote:Strange. Even more strange that he came up with enough words to sound political as his communication style is usually short and to the point. :P
I know that is so true. Over the years I've emailed him several times and except for this one time his responses have always been one liners. It's almost like maybe his wife or kid was responding for him.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

CatNamedManny
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1996

Post by CatNamedManny » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:26 am

"Pied Piper" is one of my all-time favorite Petra songs, in part because the guitar and the keys seem to be working together better than on other rockers from NOTW, where I've always felt like the guitar needed to be boosted in the mix. I think NOTW is the old-school Petra's best album from a songwriting perspective. If they had combined those songs with MPTY-style production, it would have been perfect. Too much synth on the album for my tastes.

All that to say, "Pied Piper" I think would sound awesome remade by Classic Petra, like "Bema Seat" did.
0 x
- Paul

A little disoriented. Getting reoriented.

Epyon5757
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Epyon5757 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:39 am

Don't suppose they have any plans to release this album for digital download somewhere, do they?
0 x
Hey, did you ever think twice? If you don't bother, gonna pay the price...

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:00 pm

Epyon5757 wrote:Don't suppose they have any plans to release this album for digital download somewhere, do they?
Well "Back to the Rock" was released as a digital download first on ClassicPetra.com I'm sure once the 2nd and 3rd albums are finished they too will be up for sale on ClassicPetra.com as a digital download. But I would rather have the CDs; a lot better quality.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

Epyon5757
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Epyon5757 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:19 pm

bakersfieldpethead wrote:
Epyon5757 wrote:Don't suppose they have any plans to release this album for digital download somewhere, do they?
Well "Back to the Rock" was released as a digital download first on ClassicPetra.com I'm sure once the 2nd and 3rd albums are finished they too will be up for sale on ClassicPetra.com as a digital download. But I would rather have the CDs; a lot better quality.
I just found out about the reconstituted group this morning. Honestly, I'm not as much of a fan of the early '80s Petra as I was the early '90s Petra (ironically, my parents are the reverse). I'd be far more likely to buy two or three individual tracks at this point than the CD. Most of the songs on this CD were originally written before I entered kindergarten. However, I will eventually buy the CD. Adonai is still one of my top 10 favorite songs. The updated version I just downloaded puts it in the top 5. :mrgreen:

I wonder what the purpose behind reuniting the vintage early '80s lineup is. Petra in the '80s and '90s tried to bring the unchurched youth to Christ and had great success at it. They were one of only about 5 or so Christian bands during those two decades that were good enough to hold their own against mainstream bands. But if reaching that particular demographic is still their purpose, that sound won't reach the youth of today, and the mantle of that particular tightrope has been passed to groups like Skillet, Fireflight, Red, and Thousand Foot Krutch. I am a teacher, I work with high school youth every day, and Petra's vintage sound and longer song length will not reach the majority of youth who, because they have so much more stimuli as opposed to the youth of 30 years ago, have a shorter attention span and thus thrive on shorter songs (3:30 max) that pack a punch within the first ten seconds.

However, if this version of Petra has modified their mission to reach the unchurched older generation of rockers - people in their 40s and 50s - then they would again be pioneers in Christian music and would be the first to fill a niche that no other Christian rock band has tried to tackle yet. I hope this is the case, as this particular population segment has more or less slipped through the cracks.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:49 pm

Epyon I agree with what you said you must be around my age. I think that fact they are reaching back to people in their 40's and 50's with BTTR is awesome. That sure is a generation that needs a revival. Bringing the classic Petra back minus Slick, is one of the coolest ideas.. people who became Christians through the early concerts must be craving the older type of music. so cool
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:50 pm

Epyon5757 wrote:
I just found out about the reconstituted group this morning. Honestly, I'm not as much of a fan of the early '80s Petra as I was the early '90s Petra (ironically, my parents are the reverse). I'd be far more likely to buy two or three individual tracks at this point than the CD. Most of the songs on this CD were originally written before I entered kindergarten. However, I will eventually buy the CD.

I wonder what the purpose behind reuniting the vintage early '80s lineup is. Petra in the '80s and '90s tried to bring the unchurched youth to Christ and had great success at it. They were one of only about 5 or so Christian bands during those two decades that were good enough to hold their own against mainstream bands. But if reaching that particular demographic is still their purpose, that sound won't reach the youth of today, and the mantle of that particular tightrope has been passed to groups like Skillet, Fireflight, Red, and Thousand Foot Krutch. I am a teacher, I work with high school youth every day, and Petra's vintage sound and longer song length will not reach the majority of youth who, because they have so much more stimuli as opposed to the youth of 30 years ago, have a shorter attention span and thus thrive on shorter songs (3:30 max) that pack a punch within the first ten seconds.

However, if this version of Petra has modified their mission to reach the unchurched older generation of rockers - people in their 40s and 50s - then they would again be pioneers in Christian music and would be the first to fill a niche that no other Christian rock band has tried to tackle yet. I hope this is the case, as this particular population segment has more or less slipped through the cracks.
I agree with you about reaching the older generation again. However, I think their misson is a call to return to "Ministry" in Christian Music today. Greg has talked about it before.

I don't really see shorter or longer songs being an issue, a lot of the artists you said above have plently of songs longer than 4:00 and are major hits today. You might want to check if those arent Radio Mixes, songs have always been cut down to 3:30 and less for Radio, however the album versions still remain the original time.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

Epyon5757
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Epyon5757 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:28 pm

Epyon5757 wrote:
I just found out about the reconstituted group this morning. Honestly, I'm not as much of a fan of the early '80s Petra as I was the early '90s Petra (ironically, my parents are the reverse). I'd be far more likely to buy two or three individual tracks at this point than the CD. Most of the songs on this CD were originally written before I entered kindergarten. However, I will eventually buy the CD.

I agree with you about reaching the older generation again. However, I think their misson is a call to return to "Ministry" in Christian Music today. Greg has talked about it before.

I don't really see shorter or longer songs being an issue, a lot of the artists you said above have plently of songs longer than 4:00 and are major hits today. You might want to check if those arent Radio Mixes, songs have always been cut down to 3:30 and less for Radio, however the album versions still remain the original time.
Those songs I was referring to on time length are radio mixes - my bad. I personally don't listen to a whole lot of traditional radio - usually I'll use an online radio like Christianrock.net if I don't have access to my ITunes collection - which has the full-length stuff.
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:34 am

I don't think this version of Petra is focused on reaching kids anymore. I think they have as much as said that their focus is on calling an older generation (40-60) back to Christ, and for that, this line up and this style of music is the perfect way to go.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:33 am

executioner wrote:
Mountain Man wrote:Strange. Even more strange that he came up with enough words to sound political as his communication style is usually short and to the point. :P
I know that is so true. Over the years I've emailed him several times and except for this one time his responses have always been one liners. It's almost like maybe his wife or kid was responding for him.
Bob is short and to the point. Almost always.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:35 am

Preacherman777 wrote:I don't think this version of Petra is focused on reaching kids anymore.
This is obviously true, as it has been stated from the beginning that they are going after previous fans and those older people who might like the genre but are not believers. Of course, if you are going to appeal to non believers, you have to be where they are.
0 x