John to sing Christmas Classics on TBN Dec. 22

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
reopugh
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1984

Re: John to sing Christmas Classics on TBN Dec. 22

Post by reopugh » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:11 pm

All I can say is that some people just don't have any class. Considering John doesn’t sing Christmas songs for a living, he was spot on.
As far as his voice going out. I don't think so. This must be some kind of a joke.
0 x
Rob Pugh
Classic Christian Rock
Preservation Society
Keeping Classic Christian Rock Alive!

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:35 pm

Can anybody else hear the similarities in Johns tone on Oh Holy Night, and the songs I mentioned previously? I wanted tio hear him sing like that because in Farewell he sounded screechy when he tried the high notes. Here he sounded his best on the high notes. I don't understand how he can sound sweet like in the old records last night, but harsh and screechy in some of the recent tours?
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

adpetrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by adpetrafan » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:41 pm

Thanks for the link Sue. I think John did a great Job. It was awesome to hear him worship in song, and I found myself singing along. Very nice.
0 x

petraman
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petraman » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:19 pm

Just got thru watching and all I got to say is ''AWESOME.'' Merry CHRISTmas to all!
0 x
WhiteHeart Rox 4 CHRIST!

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:25 pm

Not much for conversation here, since most of one says is ignored? :?:
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:43 pm

oops. Double post.
Last edited by brent on Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:46 pm

It's ok to voice your opinion, until the Borg does not like it. :)

Seriously...if any artist is going to perform...on international television, internet, youtube, etc, the artist should be ready for critiques from fans and observers. It is not up to third parties to police the feedback. If the artist has thin skin, the artist should not be in that line of work, because people can be brutal. Even...gasp!....Christians.

We can biblically exercise free will, preferences, etc without condemnation. In the USA, until Obama and his ilk take control of the internet (happening soon), we all have a right to free speech. We have the freedom to discuss Petra and related people here. That said, we must all be understanding. As weird as this sounds, I am not saying that we should take it easy on John here. What I am saying is that no two humans hear the same thing the same way. Our hearing is determined by our auditory system, but is filtered through emotions, knowledge, bias, etc.

Take me for example. I must use me, because I am all I know. Now, I am a critical listener. Imagine going to a museum. Most people would stand back and observe the whole picture of a painting. I start there, but I move in, break out a microscope, and examine so much detail. Then as I move back, I fail to see the whole picture sometimes, but the mosaic of details...flaws and all on the front of my mind. This is how engineers have to work sometimes. So, music has to be REALLY good to move me to the point that I do not wish to know the nitty gritty, for fear it will be spoiled. Artists must be really good to impress me. I have the unfortunate experience to work for some really talented people. Insanely talented. So, the bar is high. If someone doesn't have the soul, the vibe, the authenticity, but has chops, that does not move me. Chops are secondary in some cases. My wife hates going to shows with me, because I do what I get paid to do, and seldom enjoy it. Now, I know others that are tooooooooone deaf! They cannot tell if someone is off or not. They enjoy the performance, discern the spirit of it and really embrace the performer more than the performance. We all are all over the spectrum.

Personally, John's performance was not his best. But when I think of his heart, how old he is, how long he has been making millions of people happy, how much work and bullshtuff he has had to put up with....that makes the performance good. I KNOW John loves God. I KNOW he is the REAL deal. We all know his testimony. We all know he could have gone back to his old ways. We all know that he could have hung up Christian rock for a career in the secular music world. We all know that John has had a clean testimony before the world, not having women, party, or some other moral failures.

My wife and I were at Best Buy yesterday. We say a Head East CD. John is on the cover, all lean, tanned and shirtless, wearing a vest and tight white pants. He is smiling, but you can see it in his face. He was not alive. He was not "John" we know. You can see a difference in his eyes. It is spooky.

I would rather have an old fart singing from his heart, singing with soul, feeling and conviction imperfectly, than have the young stud John singing music that will not make a difference in eternity.
0 x

BForm
Pethead
Pethead

Post by BForm » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:48 pm

Very well spoken (typed) Brent. Having a feel for who he is as a person and a respect for what he's done and meant to all who have loved his music makes all the difference. Though I didn't think it was a great performance, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing and hearing him sing some great songs.
0 x
God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. - John Piper

BForm
Pethead
Pethead

Post by BForm » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:56 pm

fcollazo wrote:He has not lost a thing! He sang the way he sang on: Lovely Lord, We Hold Our Hearts Out To You, First Love, How Long, I Am Available, Take Me In, In The Likeness Of You, and the like. What did you guys expect, for him to scream out in the style of J&H, or On Fire?
Lovely Lord has always been the song that proved to me that John could sing with a "purist" vocal style, and not just with his edgy rock voice. However, I can't honestly say that he sounded a lot like that last night.

Now, you asked the question and voiced displeasure that there weren't any takers to the question. Don't demonize an answer you don't agree with.
0 x
God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. - John Piper

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:21 pm

I don't understand how he can sound sweet like in the old records last night, but harsh and screechy in some of the recent tours?
He does that on purpose to fit the occasion (the audience/venue).
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:59 pm

BForm, thanks for your opinion, I promise not to ever demonize it. :lol:

I think it all has to do with taste. The sound John put out last night is the sound I love, and it is my favorite style to hear John sing like.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by sue d. » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:05 pm

How about THIS version... live, raw and real!

Before anyone comments:
The audio is direct from the video feed and not thru the soundboard... and at times the tracks are louder than John on the video; there's nothing we can do to fix that. However, during the actual concert this was not the case. You could hear him LOUD and CLEAR.

And yes, John flips two words around, just like he did on the TBN taping. Oh well! It's part of his signature style! ;-)

0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:09 pm

Hey Sue, when I try to play the video it says it has been blocked due to copyrights infringement by WMG?
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by sue d. » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:43 pm

I saw that when I uploaded to YouTube... it said it may be blocked "in certain countries."

Aren't you in the USA? I can play it... what about anyone else?

Try grabbing it here: http://johnwschlitt.com/holdingfolder/O ... 202010.wmv

Just download it - please don't stream, or it may overload jws.com. The site is already at max - thanks to Trodland for sharing the heavy load, otherwise the site would cost a FORTUNE to run.
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:55 pm

Yeah, i am in Florida. I'll try the other link.
0 x