John to sing Christmas Classics on TBN Dec. 22

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Re: John to sing Christmas Classics on TBN Dec. 22

Post by sue d. » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:03 am

Hmmmm... I have an embed code from Facebook (I uploaded it directly from my harddrive), but can't seem to get it to work here. I've turned on AND off the BBCode, but no luck. Anyone want to try the code below to get it posted?

<object width="320" height="240" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/475774486657" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/475774486657" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="240"></embed></object>
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:04 am

I can see it now on the other link, thanks!
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:21 am

That was certainly better overall. A more even performance. It's just too bad the track overpowered him so often.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by sue d. » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:32 am

Well, it DIDN'T during the live show... it's just like that on the video. Wouldn't you know it...
0 x

BForm
Pethead
Pethead

Post by BForm » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:15 am

I really couldn't hear much, but it did seem like he cut loose a little more in some spots. Not as conservative as the TBN version.

I listened to the TBN show again and I really do enjoy the first two songs. It isn't John's strength to do songs in that style but, knowing what we know and like, some of us notice a lot more than the audience probably did. What Child is This was a little botched up, and I'm sure John knows it and wouldn't at all be surprised to hear it from someone.
0 x
God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. - John Piper

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:47 am

executioner wrote:I'm not saying this should be edited or locked, but if we were consistent then it should be done. All posts(including the post giving the full reviews of BTTR) that were in anyway negative towards ClassicPetra and Greg have been edited, locked, or erased.
No they haven't been. One thread that blew up was locked. Don't overplay it.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

Enosh
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Who Are these new guys? AndBand! The Original! Ask for it by name.

Post by Enosh » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:43 pm

Ok, so I listened to video Sue posted. I agree with Preacherman777. A much better performance. Much more even and tone was better. It still does sound like he's screaming to hit some of the notes, but he was in much more control than the TBN performance. A lot more effect on his voice in the youtube vidoe to smooth his voice out.

I'm sorry everybody that I caused so much trouble with my comments. I stand by my review of that performance though. And I agree with the post earlier that many people here only see Petra and related projects through Rose Colored Glasses. The comment left that John sounded the same as 10 years ago is just like wow, I don't even have words. Brent said it best that some just don't have an ear for that stuff.

I listened to God Fixation today on the way to Church. I just kep thinking wow, John sounds really great on this album. I also think the best he sounds is on No Doubt. I'm not talking about his tine because he's singing lighter and not rocking. I totally agree with the comments about Lovely Lord, No Doubt, We hold our hearts out to you. I think someone else said it best that it's a confidence thing. John singing on those other songs (Softer songs) sounds amazing because he's confident with them. I've noticed that when I've seen him he goes into this ultra light singing mode. I don't agree that he's doing it because he's trying to be lighter for a lighter song. He usually only does that when it looks like he's trying to remember lyrics or having a rough time with the song. Just an observation.

As for Some people just don't have Class? Whatever. You liked it, good. You can spend money on it if TBN releases it. I am secure with my personality. I don't believe because I didn't like one performance and stated as such that I'm classless.

Which brings me to my final comment. I love John. Always have always will. I love Petra. Ditto. Am I buying the Classic Petra Cd after defending it's existence and future touring schedule to those who said it would never happen? I don't know. I'm not really impressed with the new songs either. I like the direction of the remakes so if I do it will be for that. Will I go see them live? Absolutely!

John is a great talent. Petra has been an inspiration to me. I want people to love Petra, John..all of it. Maybe that's why when I see that it's not as great as it was; it makes it harder to be excited about and promote to everyone. There's been a lot of talk around here about tarnishing the name of Petra. I don't like it when people make fun of Petra to my face. So I guess I just want for them to knock it out of the ballpark every time. At least then I feel that it doesn't matter what others say, I know that Petra is great. I guess it's ok for some to say that they absolutely hate "Revival" "God Fixation" "Double Take" or "No Doubt" even in other threads. (WHOLE ALBUMS!) I say something about one performance and many get all bunched up in the britches. Some of them new comers to the Zone who probably have no idea of my love for John or experience with the man. Some of the older ones, I get that too. You are just too close to the source to be objective. I love you all still but seriously, take a chill pill and relax. It's ok. Please.

Merry Christmas.
0 x
Facebook.com/enoshfee
redcapeproductions.com
www.wakingvegas.com
Facebook.com/wakingvegas

AndBand! The Original!
Ask for it by name.
http://picasaweb.google.com/johnwschlitt/July42003PekinILJohnSoloAndAndband#5081842292151695650

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:44 am

Merry Christmas all from down under, this video rocked my world.. John's tone is rockin'
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:47 am

My favorite John voice tone, TBN Oh Holy Night.
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:55 am

O Holy Night was truly amazing! John's low register is awesome; He gets no credit for it and should.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

HudsonPethead
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1997

Post by HudsonPethead » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:57 am

The songs are beautiful!
John was fantastic!

O Holy Night

What Child Is This

Do You Hear What I Hear

0 x
https://t.me/pump_upp

St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:19 am

I'm really digging these Christmas songs! All of them are good, but I particularly like "O Holy Night" and "Do You Hear What I Hear?".

I really think John should record a Christmas album. It would make a nice addition to my Petra/John Schlitt collection.
0 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:56 pm

I vote for a Halloween album. It would be historical. No Christian artist has done it. There could be songs about the original celebration of it. :) John should then think about an album for the next election. We have one. It really would be nice to have a "rally of the troops" song. Another possible song topic could be one addressing aging, and how age has nothing to do with success. Many people think Daniel was a young boy at the time he was in the lion's den. He was elderly. Maybe that is it. John could talk about being fed to the lions (by the entertainment industry, radio, the world, etc) but he made it out without a scratch. Something rockin and upbeat. Just thinkin' out loud.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by sue d. » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:55 pm

We have the full BROOKFIELD WI concert online now... with songs and speaking in between:

http://johnwschlitt.com/fans/video.htm

John Schlitt
Dec. 17, 2010
John performs "Gravity," "The Grafting," "Only Men," "Beyond Belief" and "O Holy Night" as the opener for Charlie Daniels Band at Elmbrook Church, Brookfield, WI.

The video doesn't do the night justice, as the performance was recorded direct from video and not the soundboard. It was a wonderful live!
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:21 pm

Really liked Do You Hear. Nice groove. I could hear some Bob guitar work in there. What Child is This looked like deer in the headlights; at least the little bit I watched. The first one was pitchy in spots, but so were a lot of the other performances I saw on there. Jars, 10th Avenue North, Casting Crowns, etc. It didn't seem like the arrangement for O Holy Night was enough for him to really get into it. Had he done the outside performance instead of the studio audience, he probably could have had a teleprompter.
0 x