John to sing Christmas Classics on TBN Dec. 22

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Re: John to sing Christmas Classics on TBN Dec. 22

Post by separateunion » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:15 am

SamScales wrote:.......and by the way....... I think John, as a faithful servant of the Lord deserves better than that.
He deserves RESPECT!!!!
So, Enosh should lie about how he thinks John performed because John is a nice guy and a solid Christian? Enosh has every right to honestly state what he thought about the performance. If he thought it was bad, that's no disrespect to John. If disrespect means lying about someone, then I want no part of "respect".
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:21 am

SamScales wrote:I don't know if I appreciate the extremely negative review, Enosh. This is a person you are talking about that we all love and care about and we should be building each other up, not tear each other down. I know this is the way you felt about what you observed, but should that really be said in such a blunt way on a public forum? I don't think that's the best idea as you are talking about a brother in Christ.
It's attitudes like this that has created a CCM industry of mediocrity. There is certainly room for criticism in Christianity. It's how we grow. What Enosh said may have been blunt, but it was not malicious. People here need to take their Greg/John/Bob/Petra blinders off and be objective about them.
None of us are ever, ever perfect in anything we do, certainly not live performances. I'm sure you as a performer/singer/worship leader have had many blunders in your own concerts and you always hope that your audience is forgiving and still will continue to support and appreciate you.
Where is Enosh being unforgiving? When did he say he would no longer support and appreciate John?
Sometimes I feel it's better to keep things to one self if we have negative things to say and rather PRAY not SAY.
This is feel good hogwash that needs to see it's way out of Christianity NOW.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

Enosh
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Who Are these new guys? AndBand! The Original! Ask for it by name.

Post by Enosh » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:32 am

Ok one at a time.

Sue I'm talking about the timber of his voice. I'm just saying his age is showing in his voice. Upon further review I will say that o holy night was the best of the three. His voice is sounding less powerful than it did. I'm sorry, he forgot many lyrics, not all. Are you seriously going to get picky on that? John even mentions when the guy says that it was good to go back and check the tape. Geez just because I'm not saying it was awesome and totally cutting edge and that john is on top of his game I'm the bad guy.

Which brings me to sam...

Sam I mentioned what I did because I feel that some on the zone would praise john and say it was amaizing if john burped the star spangled banner. I was shocked to see a post that it was great. It wasn't. Just because its not positive doesn't mean that you can't say it. People can watch it for them selves. There were those who posted that john was still great when he was on that other christian tv show a couple years ago where he was struggling to sing and talking lyrics. I'm sorry if some feel that every comment has to be blind praise. I love john and always will but this was what it was. Please don't lecture me because I didn't love it and thought it wasn't one of johns better performances.

Yes we all have rough performancesi just brought it up because I've noticed the last few times I've seen him in situations where there wasn't backing tracks I've noticed him struggling. I thought it might be discussed by others who see it and have a discussion. I thought that was what a petra message board is about. The good and bad. Maybe I'm wrong and we must all just love everything they do and only comment as such.
0 x
Facebook.com/enoshfee
redcapeproductions.com
www.wakingvegas.com
Facebook.com/wakingvegas

AndBand! The Original!
Ask for it by name.
http://picasaweb.google.com/johnwschlitt/July42003PekinILJohnSoloAndAndband#5081842292151695650

Enosh
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Enosh » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:46 am

As for that stuff about respecting john.... see seperate unions posts. Thanks man.

Sam that is way off. You and sue don't need to be so defensive over john. He's a big boy and none of us has to kiss up to him. I don't think he wants that. Nothing about john says that to me. You and sue are making john look bad if you're representing him and getting that defensive over a less than positive review of one performance. I'm a friend to john. I defend him and promote him as much as I can. If I can't be truthful about a performance then I'm not a respectful friend. That would make me shameless kiss up. True respect is to state the truth not kiss somebodys butt who doesn't even want it just to be agreeable and full of smiles. Like it was said, I was blunt yes, but I wasn't malcious. Icomplimented on what I thought went well which was his speaking.
0 x
Facebook.com/enoshfee
redcapeproductions.com
www.wakingvegas.com
Facebook.com/wakingvegas

AndBand! The Original!
Ask for it by name.
http://picasaweb.google.com/johnwschlitt/July42003PekinILJohnSoloAndAndband#5081842292151695650

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:22 am

Well I forgot to set my DVR and missed it. I did set the DVR to record the rebroadcast of PTL but TBN aired an old black and white movie in it's time slot. Either he was fantastic or lousy, I can't wait to see it to form my own opinion. "O Holy Night" is one of my favorite hymns.
0 x

Enosh
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Enosh » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:00 am

BTW this reminds me of a conversation I had with John while we riding in my car once. He asked me what I thought of the album double take. I told him exactly what I thought of it (negative mostly except for a couple bright spots. ) he thanked me for being honest because a lot of people just tell him all positive and what they think he wants to hear.
0 x
Facebook.com/enoshfee
redcapeproductions.com
www.wakingvegas.com
Facebook.com/wakingvegas

AndBand! The Original!
Ask for it by name.

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:22 am

Now I'm really curious to see the performance... :roll:

Haven't got much bandwidth left for this month though, so it'll have to wait till after New Year... :cry:
0 x

trodLAN
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: J&H
Pethead since: 1982

Post by trodLAN » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:27 am

If someone missed Johns performance on TBN, you can watch a low quality video here:
http://81.27.46.36/mov/TBN2010JS.asf [40MB]
Johns sounds raw, real and focused as always, - it's a nice performance, - not perfect, but still I love his voice!
If I should want something for the next Christmas, it should be a brand new rock album from John, - not a christmas album.
0 x
https://www.youtube.com/@trodland

r_karlsson22
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire
Pethead since: 1996

Post by r_karlsson22 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:16 am

trodLAN wrote: Johns sounds raw, real and focused as always, - it's a nice performance, - not perfect, but still I love his voice!
If I should want something for the next Christmas, it should be a brand new rock album from John, - not a christmas album.
Thank you Tr! I agree with you, I love John's voice and I really want a rock'n'roll album from John!
God jul! :) Merry Christmas!
0 x
https://twitter.com/RickardWidgren
http://AboutRickard.com
Instagram: rickardwidgren

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:51 am

I do not see what Enosh saw. It gave me chills when I heard John sing my favorite Christmas song! He sang incredible, and the sweetest I ever heard him. I loved it so much, it brang tears to my eyes!
This the best John I have heard in ten years!
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:15 am

The Performance had mixed results. O Holy Night was awesome and John's voice was spot on. The other 2 sounded weak and sounded like he had no time to prepare. John has a beautiful low register that no one is ever willing to give him credit for.
Now on to the critics. It's good to be honest, but we also as Christians have a responsibilty to be tactful; better and more responsable words could've/should've been used.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:23 am

I'm as critical as anyone on this board. With that I have to say that "O Holy Night" sounded very nice.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:35 am

You can watch a decent resolution version on TBN here: http://tbn.org/video_portal/

I'll reply to the other comments after I take a breath for a minute...
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:47 am

This is the John I want to hear. This is the sweet real voice of Petra.
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:52 am

John made me proud with his performance last night. I know sometimes his rock voice came out and maybe some on the crowd thought why is this hard rocker singing here? it sounds out of place, but you now what, this is the way a Petra Christmas Record would have sounded. There's no changing it, John gave it his all, and with honor and dedication.
0 x