Third Classic Petra Album - All New Songs

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Re: Third Classic Petra Album - All New Songs

Post by executioner » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:51 am

I actually like them renaming the old songs. It brings them update and new freshness to them. My 15 yr old stepson likes it a lot, but wouldn't ever give the old ones the time of day.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

adpetrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by adpetrafan » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:57 pm

DeSoto wrote:So how many best ofs do we have already from PETRA? How many more do we want? BTTR ist nothing more than a best of new recorded with some modifications.
I could not dissagree with this more. Each song is either new, or re-recorded and changed. I can't wait to hear more new versions. I have skipped best-of packages in the past because I already had the music. This is different.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:38 am

rexreed wrote:Two albums of reworked classics seems a bit much to me, but three would be overkill so I welcome the third album being new. I really hope the songs have some zing.
I'm actually really enjoying the remakes -- in some cases I actually like them better than the originals -- so I think Back to the Rock has plenty of zing. Plus, that's Louie actually playing the drums, which is something we've heard so rarely over the years.
rexreed wrote:Maybe they can bring the Elefantes in to produce.
No thanks. I really like the straightforward simplicity of Back to the Rock. It has that quality of real musicians playing real instruments that the Elefante albums always lacked.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:52 am

I think rerecording the classics has breathe new life into them and we really don't even listen too much to the 2 new songs. I hope they keep doing some more of the classics along the way, but will also be eagerly waiting any new songs they push our way.
0 x

BriGuyPEI
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

Post by BriGuyPEI » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:26 pm

Mountain Man wrote:Plus, that's Louie actually playing the drums, which is something we've heard so rarely over the years.
I just got the CD for Christmas. My heart sank a little when I was reading the liner notes and saw "Percussion Brett Vargason". So does that mean Louie didn't play everything? He must have played some, since there's a picture of him in the studio at the drum kit. But now I have to question once again, how much?
0 x

randy_rc
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS

Post by randy_rc » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:50 pm

Hmmm, That's a little odd... Brett Vargason was drummer for SonicFlood a while back... I wonder what he's doing on the liner notes...
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:29 am

Maybe Brett Vargason did some additional percussion? He worked with Greg X. Volz and John Lawry on God Only Knows.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:42 am

I asure you Louie played about 95% of the percussion in the studio. It's very common for a second percussionist to come in and put some finishing touches on the album.
0 x

BriGuyPEI
Pethead
Pethead

Post by BriGuyPEI » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Maybe Brett played the triangle in RCSGW?
0 x

BTRPETRAGeorge
Pethead
Pethead

Post by BTRPETRAGeorge » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:54 am

I just found out that a second and then third album will be made sometime this coming January, WOW!!!! Im so excited, it is great to here this, as I really like Petra with GXV. It just takes me back to the early years of a Nostalgic sound of Rock. And I have to agree with some of you, who have said that at first the album didnt catch on too well but now it has grown on me a lot and the remade classics are sounding better than the originals every time I listen to them!!!!

Go CLASSIC PETRA!!!!!
0 x

BriGuyPEI
Pethead
Pethead

Post by BriGuyPEI » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:04 am

Anybody else find that Too Big To Fail sounds a lot like 1990s Yes? I can totally hear Jon Anderson singing this song. It has quickly become one of my favourite Petra songs. It falls into the Must Be Cranked category.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:19 am

Back in the late 80's when I found out that Louie was not actually playing on the albums it came as a total surprise for me, and in some ways it seemed to be dishonest on Petra's part. Now I go back and look at the notes and I see that there is always additional musicians in the drumming area and I think ok Petra was not dishonest about it, but the way they word it really seems they purposely mislead the average fan that really doesn't know much about the business that Louie actually plays on the album.
Too be honest I think an artist should make it clear in the notes who did and did not play on the album.
0 x

Drumolator
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Drumolator » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:39 am

I really like the new CD, and I am glad more are coming out. But I do not think too much in a short time period is a good idea. I am VERY glad that Louie is doing the drumming. One more CD of remakes and then a CD of new songs is cool. Peace and goodwill.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:13 pm

executioner wrote:Back in the late 80's when I found out that Louie was not actually playing on the albums it came as a total surprise for me, and in some ways it seemed to be dishonest on Petra's part. Now I go back and look at the notes and I see that there is always additional musicians in the drumming area and I think ok Petra was not dishonest about it, but the way they word it really seems they purposely mislead the average fan that really doesn't know much about the business that Louie actually plays on the album.
Too be honest I think an artist should make it clear in the notes who did and did not play on the album.
Then you must really hate the Beat the System liner notes since that album was basically Bob Hartman, Greg Volz, and some guy who's name I forget who did all the synth and drum machine work (not Lawry; he apparently came in late in the project and only added a few finishing touches). Louie Weaver and Mark Kelly didn't play at all.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:15 pm

BriGuyPEI wrote:Anybody else find that Too Big To Fail sounds a lot like 1990s Yes? I can totally hear Jon Anderson singing this song. It has quickly become one of my favourite Petra songs. It falls into the Must Be Cranked category.
Jon Anderson? Every time I listen I keep thinking it could have been a John Schlitt song. I have a feeling that it's one of the songs that Hartman had in his pocket ready to go for the follow-up to Jekyll and Hyde. No matter because Volz totally rocks it. At the very least it doesn't sound like he's singing, "God is stupid."
0 x