Third Classic Petra Album - All New Songs

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Re: Third Classic Petra Album - All New Songs

Post by Preacherman777 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:22 pm

I think the song sounds like what they were doing on Wake Up Call. Definitely not heavy enough to follow up Jekyll and Hyde. But it's a good song. I'm looking forward to the rest of the new material.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:28 am

Code: Select all

At the very least it doesn't sound like he's singing, "God is stupid."
I still don't understand how anyone could have heard or thought John was singing THAT.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:42 am

Because most people do not have hearing resolute enough to discern. This is not uncommon. Look at all of the conflicting lyrics from the various unauthorized lyric sites.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:50 am

sue d. wrote:

Code: Select all

At the very least it doesn't sound like he's singing, "God is stupid."
I still don't understand how anyone could have heard or thought John was singing THAT.
That's sure what it sounds like it if you don't know the lyrics, similar to that line in the original recording of "Let Everything That Hath Breath" where Greg sings "Israel had a war to fight" and it sounds like "Israel had a water fight". The line is much clearer on Back to the Rock.

Besides, "God is stupid" could make sense in the right context, similar to the Steve Taylor song "Jesus is for Losers".
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:32 am

No Beat the System was obvious that its computer generated. Beyond Beliefs liner notes are really misrepresented because it doesn't say anything about additional musicians only additional programing. So anyone will assume Louie did all the drumming on the album even though we know that is not the case.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

74CAPethead
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Discerning Lyrics

Post by 74CAPethead » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:50 am

brent wrote:Because most people do not have hearing resolute enough to discern. This is not uncommon.
Reminds me of:

I got my 88 year old Mom hooked on Petra and II Guys…she doesn’t care for the ROCKIER songs but she LOVES all the rest! One day my Mom told me I really like that song “Poor Soul”…I thought huh? Poor Soul? I knew they didn’t have a song called Poor Soul! So I asked her to sing some of it…then she said it’s the one that goes…”I’d rather be a fool in the eyes of men than a fool in the eyes of God”…I said, “Oh, that’s “Fool’s Gold”…then we started laughing! :lol: Since she can’t see to do anything else she spends most of her time listening to music! She’s been learning a lot of the lyrics and listens to them ALL the time! She calls II Guys…”The Boys”! :P It blesses my heart SO much to see how much joy and happiness their songs bring her! I love watching her tap her frail feet to the beat as she sits in her wheelchair smiling and singing along with The Boys! It brings tears to my eyes!
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:37 pm

executioner wrote:No Beat the System was obvious that its computer generated. Beyond Beliefs liner notes are really misrepresented because it doesn't say anything about additional musicians only additional programing. So anyone will assume Louie did all the drumming on the album even though we know that is not the case.
His drumming was recorded in the studio, but the Elefante brothers like laying drum samples over the actual drumming in order to give the drums more punch, so what we're hearing is what Louie actually played but not his actual playing, if that makes sense.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:31 am

So what your saying Louie laid the drumbeats but the producers went behind and changed the way they sounded?
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:05 pm

executioner wrote:So what your saying Louie laid the drumbeats but the producers went behind and changed the way they sounded?
Pretty much. What they do is replace each individual beat with a sample so that each one is distinctive and punchy. It's why the drums on most of the Elefante produced albums have a lot of kick to them. While I like the results well enough, I've come to prefer the "live" sound on albums like Wake Up Call and Back to the Rock.
0 x

DeSoto
Pethead
Pethead

Post by DeSoto » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:39 pm

adpetrafan wrote:
DeSoto wrote:So how many best ofs do we have already from PETRA? How many more do we want? BTTR ist nothing more than a best of new recorded with some modifications.
I could not dissagree with this more. Each song is either new, or re-recorded and changed. I can't wait to hear more new versions. I have skipped best-of packages in the past because I already had the music. This is different.
Yeah but thats exactly how money is made. Rerecord old material, change a little and people will buy. Works...thats why it´s been done. PETRA will be back in my opinion, when they release new material.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:53 pm

They have released new material, and plan on releasing more over the next year. I think it was wise what they did and think they should keep doing it this way, last thing I want to hear is an album with all new songs with just a couple good/great songs on it with the rest of them being just a bunch of fillers. With the 2 new songs they put on this release I'm afraid that is what we are going to get. The 2 new songs can not stand up to the classics from the same album.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:35 pm

executioner wrote:The 2 new songs can not stand up to the classics from the same album.
I disagree. I think they're every bit as good. In fact, "Too Big To Fail" has quickly become one of my favorite Petra songs.
0 x

BForm
Pethead
Pethead

Post by BForm » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:03 pm

I agree about TBTF but am not a big fan of BTTR at all. I think TBTF was written with the intention of it becoming a concert favorite and it is really growing on me. You can hear how the verses are written so that Greg leads and the crowd repeats, then everyone sings together on the the chorus. As I said in another post, if they draw good sized crowds and they know the song, it's going to work very well.
0 x
God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. - John Piper

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:14 pm

I don't like the new songs.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:35 am

Maybe I'm just not very demanding because I think even "Back to the Rock" has a catchy groove to it. Then again I still think Double Take is criminally underrated by Petra fans, so what do I know.
0 x