15 MP3 tracks from the concert in Finland

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: 15 MP3 tracks from the concert in Finland

Post by brent » Thu May 05, 2011 6:27 am

For any artist, the torrents are a nightmare, especially now since they have developed software that lifts images and files from some legit sites artists authorize. There is a new blogged based form of this, which has been fought against by the software and bunnies industries. If you think the musicians are tired of piracy, you should wait for the bunnies industry to fund the right people and make the government do something. They are REALLY sick of it from what I read and hear from entertainment lawyers.

Anyway, PDC....well, we have verified actual downloads on two occasions with the top 10 torrents, and we have lost big money. Big money. But, on the other hand, we realize that some people horde files and music and are not really fans. However, when we invested in it, we were tracking where the downloads were happening and saw a correlation between that and website hits, music fan blogs, mentions on websites, etc in foreign countries. Would those people have purchased originally? Maybe, maybe not. Do more people know about us now? Maybe. But, does that do us any good? It doesn't monetarily when they are getting it for free. People will take what is free over the same thing for a cost. Heck. We do it with other things ourselves. We don't buy gas at the station with more expensive gas. We look for the best deal. We don't spend money if we don't have to. So, we get that.

The thing is...the people who have embraced live concert bootlegs have never allowed them to be distributed. They Dead had an agreement that they would let people swap shows, but not charge for them. The were the Dead. They were unique. The people were unique. Those times are gone. YouTube is a double edged sword. Studies show that people will rip songs off of YouTube, but YouTube is the best place to get exposure. We put some songs on there, but all of the PDC songs on-line are NOT the final mixes, mastered, and complete versions of the songs either. We think that people buying physical CDs should get the best product. There is one step beyond that. If someone wants 24-bit/48k wav files, those will be made available as well.

The only people who can really afford to give music away are those who are well off already, who got to where they with the aid of the labels (touring, tour support, marketing, management, etc, etc). There is no business model that makes any sense where the product made is free. There is no way anyone will convince me otherwise. There have been some artists who have given a free album, or allowed people to pay what they value the album to be worth. In one specific case, the artist was insulted. He thought that the public would do the right thing. He lost his rear and immediately re-signed with another major label.

Labels are banks with connections. John could use one. Ask John how easy it is to find someone to give up 40k or so to make a real record. It is hard to convince John to take out a loan against his house to make a product that will be a digital file, and once that file in on the web, it is up for grabs. That is just insanity. The only people that can afford to do this are rich already or have someone paying for the project with no strings attached.

If you do some research and find out who has gone to Washington DC to lobby for the artists, and to protect their works, you will find it ironic that the artists asking for the governments help are the same ones who were vocal about the government and big business. Now that there is no big business to pay for their existence, and no government to protect them, they are suddenly faced with no way to make a living. If it weren't so sad, I might laugh at that. 20/20.
0 x

Muleya
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Not of This World
Pethead since: 1982

Post by Muleya » Thu May 05, 2011 10:15 am

I'd be curious to know how the band feels about it. To be honest, I wondered that when these first showed up, but didn't voice that.

For the most part I've not gotten involved in bootlegs. There is one artist for which I have made an exception, and it's not Petra. However, I have purchased nearly all of this artist's albums...there are over 30 available and I've purchased 26 (all actual CDs, no downloads). This artist usually reworks one or two old songs on each tour. They are usually really good, and bootlegs are the only way to have a record of them! In the end, it's all rationalization...I know that. But since I have legitimately purchased nearly the entire catalog produced by this artist, I feel okay about it! :mrgreen:

But I also know that with all the things that cell phones do, many artists seem to have given up on banning cameras and the like from shows. I was surprised at a show I attended a couple years ago when they announced that the use of cameras was permitted, but only without flash!

BTW, Brent...what is the "bunnies industry"?
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Thu May 05, 2011 12:54 pm

yvonne just posted on the classic petra website that is okay to post and trade live videos
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu May 05, 2011 4:08 pm

bunnies is the Zone's word for p o r n
0 x

74CAPethead
Pethead
Pethead

Post by 74CAPethead » Thu May 05, 2011 8:24 pm

http://classicpetra.com/blog/
Posted in Updates on May 5th, 2011 by Yvonne

It is currently 7:00pm in Budapest, and the band is about ready to start the show there.

I just received answers to a few questions that have been asked. So I thought I would put them into a post.

1 – There has been a question posed by a few fans as to whether or not the band is OK with the posting of ‘bootleg’ home videos of their concerts. Yes, they are OK with this. We have even posted many of these videos right here on our own blog. So long as no one is distributing high quality audio, it’s fine.

2 – Some of you have noticed that we are taking sign ups for “Street Teams” (on our email sign-up) – we are planning to have our first Street Team Mission available within a week. There will even be some prizes! :) If you have signed up for Street Teams, you will receive an email about this.

3 – Signed inserts – I checked with our Merch company about where they are at with those. I was told that they have ordered special mailers to put the inserts into, so that they won’t be damaged in the mail. The minute they receive those mailers, the inserts will go out!

Blessings to all of you today!
Yvonne
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu May 05, 2011 9:29 pm

Well there you go. Copy and distribute at will.

I wonder if they mixed the concert DVD in 5.1 or just stereo?
0 x

74CAPethead
Pethead
Pethead

Post by 74CAPethead » Fri May 06, 2011 3:52 pm

brent wrote:I wonder if they mixed the concert DVD in 5.1 or just stereo?
Answer:
http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?s ... 4167044350
0 x

Muleya
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Muleya » Fri May 06, 2011 8:58 pm

brent wrote:bunnies is the Zone's word for p o r n
Ahhh, yes.
0 x

Muleya
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Muleya » Fri May 06, 2011 8:59 pm

74CAPethead wrote:http://classicpetra.com/blog/
Posted in Updates on May 5th, 2011 by Yvonne

It is currently 7:00pm in Budapest, and the band is about ready to start the show there.

I just received answers to a few questions that have been asked. So I thought I would put them into a post.

1 – There has been a question posed by a few fans as to whether or not the band is OK with the posting of ‘bootleg’ home videos of their concerts. Yes, they are OK with this. We have even posted many of these videos right here on our own blog. So long as no one is distributing high quality audio, it’s fine.

2 – Some of you have noticed that we are taking sign ups for “Street Teams” (on our email sign-up) – we are planning to have our first Street Team Mission available within a week. There will even be some prizes! :) If you have signed up for Street Teams, you will receive an email about this.

3 – Signed inserts – I checked with our Merch company about where they are at with those. I was told that they have ordered special mailers to put the inserts into, so that they won’t be damaged in the mail. The minute they receive those mailers, the inserts will go out!

Blessings to all of you today!
Yvonne
Good to know...I can enjoy these guilt-free now!! 8)
0 x

michaelca
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: never say die
Pethead since: 1985

Post by michaelca » Tue May 10, 2011 5:59 am

trodLAN wrote:Give me a download link, and I can put it up on my site for easy download.
But I first need the clip.... I have unlimited storage space and fast upload speed.
thanks mate i have downloaded the video onto my computer using the programme VCL which then becomes an mpeg from there i have tried filedropper and then tried the suggestion of downloading onto petrazone but it keeps coming back saying server not connected but it clearly is!!!???? Man if you could help that would be great. Sorry guys for such a drawn out fiasco but i have never done this before....and seeing it was the first show they did im sure everyone is hanging for it!
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Tue May 10, 2011 6:03 am

Well, if all else fails, you could send a copy of the DVD to Terje and he will fix all our problems!

Adpetrafan, don\'t you have these old NOJ performances on DVD as well? Dying to see those!
0 x

adpetrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by adpetrafan » Tue May 10, 2011 7:39 am

p-freak wrote:Adpetrafan, don't you have these old NOJ performances on DVD as well? Dying to see those!
I have yet to get a good DVD out of the capture tool I have available to me. I will keep trying when time allows.
0 x