Classic Petra Equipment Rider

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Classic Petra Equipment Rider

Post by fcollazo » Wed May 11, 2011 10:20 pm

For us gear heads, here is the equipment rider for Petra sent to me by Yvonne Nachtigal. Enjoy!!!

Classic Petra Backline requirements:

Guitars - Bob Hartman - Downstage Left * 2 -110volt electrical outlets for pedalboards

JMD-1 50w head, two 4x12 slant cabs loaded with Celestion Vintage 30"s or

2 Marshall 100w Amp heads with effects loop, two 4x12 slant cabs as above

1 Acoustic-electric Takamine guitar or equivalent required and

1 Electric Les Paul guitar

1 Adjustable cymbal stand (Bob carries acoustic guitar stand to fit on cymbal stand)

Bass Guitar - Mark Kelly - Downstage Right

These are in order of preference:
Ampeg SVT-Standard (Classic tube head) w/ 8x10 speaker cabinet

Mark Bass SD1200 Standard108HR-OR-Standard104HFand151HF
Gallien-Krueger 2001RB 410RBH and 115RBH
Keyboards - John Lawry - Upstage Left * 2 - 110volt electrical outlets for controller

Keyboard rig - artist carries his own Mobile controller & rackmount

in addition purchaser to provide all of the following:

One (1) Yamaha S90 (88 kys weighted) w/ sustain pedal (Bottom Key)

One (1) Roland VR 760, w/ sustain pedal (Top Key)

One (1) 12 – channel Mackie mixer /16 balanced outputs

Two (2) Apex two-tier stands

One (1) Drum throne w/ back support, able to rise to approx 2’, MUST BE STURDY!

Front Vocals - Greg Volz - Downstage Center

Wireless Shure Beta 58 or equivalent

Drummer - Louie Weaver - Upstage Right

A Drum Works DW 9000 Series or equivalent kit:

One (1) 18” X 22” FAST® Bass Drum or equivalent

One (1) DW 5000 series or equivalent double kick pedal

One (1) snare drum wood or metal, 5” X 14” or better

One (1) snare stand DW 9000 series or equivalent

Three (3) rack toms:

One (1) 7” X 8” DW FAST® Tom or equivalent

One (1) 8” X 10” DW FAST® Tom or equivalent

One (1) 9” X 12” DW FAST® Tom or equivalent

Two (2) floor toms:

One (1) 11"x 14" DW Fast Tom with legs, or equivalent

One (1) 13” X 16” DW Fast Tom with legs, or equivalent

All required and appropriate connecting hardware:

Must be heavy duty, double braced or better

One (1) Roc-n-Soc or equivalent, drum throne

One (2) pairs of drum sticks

Drum heads shall be Remo Emperor clear or Ambasador

Piaste or equivalent cymbal kit including:

One (1) pair of hat cymbals 14”

One (1) DW 9000 series or equivalent, three leg stand

One (1) 20” ride cymbal

Four (4) crash cymbals:

One (1) 15” / One (1) 16” / One (1) 17” / One (1) 18”

Two (2) china cymbals 14" & 15"

Two (2) splash cymbals

One (1) 8” & one (1) 10"
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

Muleya
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Not of This World
Pethead since: 1982

Re: Classic Petra Equipment Rider

Post by Muleya » Thu May 12, 2011 9:01 am

Interesting! I always find it interesting how much artists rely on local sourcing of equipment. I realize it's cheaper than carrying all their own gear, don't need all the trucks/trailers. But I think I'd still want my own guitars! Though I suppose their techs can set them up the way they like them.
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Thu May 12, 2011 9:35 am

Bob still brings 2 of his guitars as you can see in the videos, but for some reason he wants to be seen playing a real Les Paul. I do not blame him, I have one, but for the life of me, I do not know why he just does not get one for real. The only Gibson I know he has is that plane Les Paul special he used early in Petra.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Thu May 12, 2011 10:16 am

Bob should bring out his Powerglide on tour, he could insure it for $20K+ easy.
0 x

Muleya
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Muleya » Thu May 12, 2011 3:39 pm

I've got a Gibson LP Studio I picked up used for a decent price a few years back, so I certainly understand the appeal. I've got Dimarzio Virtual PAFs in mine that I prefer over the stock 498T/490R. While I could live with the stock pickups, I'd still prefer my own guitar. I've got a friend with a Studio Lite, and even though we have very similar tastes in guitar setup, playing his feels different than mine!

Anyway, you'd certainly think Bob could pick up a used one for touring, too.

I do know that some artists like having signature equipment, because in larger cities, they can usually find one and know they're going to get exactly what they want!
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Tue May 24, 2011 12:49 am

I understand why Louie doesn't take his own kit out anymore either. With the band I play with "Red Letter Edition" I use the lead singers PDP kit, and I just bring a few of my cymbals a 2 or 3 of my 7 snares. I don't usualy like to bring out my late 70s Rogers drumset, or my late 70s CB-700 unless its a really special gig or I'm playing somewhere else without RLE, and at Church I just use my Churches Pearl kit and bring one of my snares.

I have a small 4 piece PDP kit I'm restoring so who knows after that one is done, I might start bringing it out. But it might be a practice kit for me being that its a cheaper PDP with a 6 lug 22" Bass Drum, not sure how that's gonna sound.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

Epyon5757
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: No Doubt

Post by Epyon5757 » Tue May 24, 2011 10:28 am

Most music shops would be able to provide that equipment or it's equivalent for a night on rent for a good price (my guess - 2-4K based on the rental prices here), though the concert promoter would probably have to buy the drum heads, guitar strings, and sticks straight up. You can't resell those things very easily.

I never understood the fascination with the Les Paul guitar line. I started playing guitar a few years ago, and I've never cared for Gibson/Epiphone products in general or their feel in my hands (learned using one of my friend's Gibson Les Paul Studios) - but it might just be me. I like the Schecter Solo-6, which is similar in many respects to the Les Paul, far better in terms of feel and sound (so much so that I actually bought one a few months ago). To each their own, I guess.
0 x
Hey, did you ever think twice? If you don't bother, gonna pay the price...

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Tue May 24, 2011 11:11 am

what happens with a les paul guitar as well as with a fender strat is that these are designs that stood thetest of time. every guitar manifacture today have to base their designs on either a les paul or a strat, or a mix of both. I love my les paul feel in my hands way better than the prs feels. it has something to do with that 12 inch radius on the fingerboard it feel so natural and also helps to solo and bend way better.

the quality and craftsmanship of gibson is second to none. I love the precision with which my sg and les paul are crafted. I say this only of the usa gibson. the epiphones are crap.

by the way most rock and roll classics were played in the studio and recorded and played live with les paul guitars.

also scheckter has to include in their guitar designs a lot of gibson features, like double humbuckers.

just ask any studio producer, or any pro session player and theyll tell you if they had a choice they will go with a usa made les paul.
0 x

Epyon5757
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Epyon5757 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:46 am

fcollazo wrote:what happens with a les paul guitar as well as with a fender strat is that these are designs that stood thetest of time. every guitar manifacture today have to base their designs on either a les paul or a strat, or a mix of both. I love my les paul feel in my hands way better than the prs feels. it has something to do with that 12 inch radius on the fingerboard it feel so natural and also helps to solo and bend way better.

the quality and craftsmanship of gibson is second to none. I love the precision with which my sg and les paul are crafted. I say this only of the usa gibson. the epiphones are crap.

by the way most rock and roll classics were played in the studio and recorded and played live with les paul guitars.

also scheckter has to include in their guitar designs a lot of gibson features, like double humbuckers.

just ask any studio producer, or any pro session player and theyll tell you if they had a choice they will go with a usa made les paul.
I have no doubt that the USA Gibsons are good product. I personally don't care for them - and I've played a few of them.

I do, however, like Fender (but hate Squier). I was actually trying to decide a few months ago between Schecter and Fender - couldn't decide between a Blacktop Strat HH or the Schecter Solo-6. Both had the sounds I was looking for, though the Schecter seemed to have a darker overall tone than the Fender, which was very bright. However, my church praise team already has a guitar player who uses single-coil strats (when he's not away at college), I prefer the darker tones, and the local rock (Christian) band I play with every three weeks or so when their guitarist can't play uses a darker sound. That and the color options.

I don't play professionally, and I honestly can't tell the difference between some of the supposed top-line guitars and some of the smaller brands like Schecter on similar products (though the difference between an entry brand like Epiphone or Squier and pretty much everything else is rather easy to see/feel/hear). Ultimately, I'm very happy with what I have and don't have any complaints. The guitar I have has far exceeded my expectations in terms of quality - my friend has a Fender three-coil strat that feels and sounds like a cheap toy compared to my instrument, though he spent $500 more than I did for his guitar.

Gibson's price points don't help. I don't understand why people think they need to shell out $2500 for a guitar. If the people who do it for a living can tell the difference and can justify spending that kind of coin, great. Trying to sell someone like me on that price when my needs and skill level don't warrant that kind of investment is just not going to work (looks at pushy Guitar Center sales associate from Peoria, IL). Unless I wind up becoming a true professional player and living off my skill (not that I have much), I'm probably never going to have a need or justify spending more than $1,000 for a guitar (or a bass).
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Tue May 24, 2011 12:51 pm

The differences are like driving a kia vs a ferrari
0 x

Epyon5757
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Epyon5757 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:14 pm

fcollazo wrote:The differences are like driving a kia vs a ferrari
And how many people do you know that could in any rational way justify owning a Ferrari over a Kia? Both will get you from point A to point B without difficulty. The Ferrari may turn more heads, but the Kia is no slouch, either (depending on model and year). But the Ferrarri costs a small fortune and a Kia is reasonably priced. Most people would be happy with either (says one who drives a ten year old compact car).
0 x

Muleya
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Muleya » Tue May 24, 2011 1:33 pm

It really is personal preference. I'll admit that I wanted a Les Paul for it's iconic qualities...and wanted it to be a Gibson for the same reason. But now I truly love the sound and feel of the guitar. Mine has the 50s neck, and at first I didn't like it all that much. And while I still probably prefer a classic Strat neck, I have to say I like the 50s neck...I think with the larger size I have less hand fatigue.

One reason the Gibsons cost so much more is the nitro-cellulose finish...it's just a more labor-intensive process to apply. But it's got such great resonant qualities! Even companies like Fender that don't normally do nitro finishes are starting to do them on Artist Signature guitars, like the Eric Johnson Strat and Brian Setzer Gretsch, becuase that's what the artist wants...and you pay a premium for it if you buy those models.

But I'm not a nitro snob by any means, I've got two G&L Legacies...one in a SSS configuration and one in a SSH configuration. Both are poly (though G&L just recently started offering nitro on some models, too).

But G&Ls are great guitars! If you want custom shop quality for non-custom shop prices, G&L is the way to go. You can easily order one built to your specifications...I did with my most recent one, so it almost feels like a custom shop. I'd put either of my Legacies up against a Fender Custom Shop Strat...in fact, I know guys who have done so and feel their G&L is every bit the instrument as the Custom Shop Strat. And if you're looking for something a little cheaper, their Korean-made Tribute series are also excellent guitars.
0 x