BTTR DVD THOUGHTS

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

BTTR DVD THOUGHTS

Post by executioner » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:55 am

I got my copy in the mail on Tuesday and I have watched the concert portion; the first thing I noticed was the quality look of the product, its clean and crisp. I noticed also there are some different edits camera wise; they are subtle and most won't even notice.
The only drawbacks I see is I feel it would have been better to mix up the set list order wise and maybe add something that was different from the CD. A glaring weakness also is it is less than a live show then a taping. Bob's playing in some spots is not in sequence and Greg seems to be just a slight half second off on about half of the songs.
The one huge complaint has nothing to do with Petra but with the company that I ordered from. I ordered the product on Friday July 8th and paid $8 for priority mail and it wasn't shipped until a week later; this is something that should never happen especially when paying for priority mail.
Overall I'm happy I bought the DVD and I think every Petra fan should have it.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: BTTR DVD THOUGHTS

Post by executioner » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:36 am

Anyone else get the DVD yet?
0 x

trodLAN
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: J&H
Pethead since: 1982

Post by trodLAN » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:07 am

I have got it, here in Norway. Took around 6-7 days after ordering.
It's identical to the TBN TV-broadcast.
0 x
https://www.youtube.com/@trodland

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:26 pm

trodLAN wrote:I have got it, here in Norway. Took around 6-7 days after ordering.
It's identical to the TBN TV-broadcast.
Too me it seemed like some different video edits on the concert, they were very subtle and anyone could miss them.
0 x

onyx
Pethead
Pethead

Post by onyx » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:56 pm

I have mine. It took about a week to get here and I've had it over a week. Good stuff all around. :-)
0 x

DeSoto
Pethead
Pethead

Post by DeSoto » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:36 pm

So it got really fast over here to Germany and arrived tuesday. Now I watched half the show. It´s awesome. Picture ist great. sound even greater. BUT: wow this thing got editied a lot or they did some playback stuff. Most of the chorusses have far to many voices for only three guys singing them. IN some songs I got the feeling that some keyboardparts didn´t match. What u hear and what u see didn´t match.
So it´s great, but unfortunatly it´s not live enough for my ears. I would have loved more original sound rather than that much editing...
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:04 pm

As I understand it, the only thing live in the recording is Greg's voice (and maybe the backing vocals). While they did actually play live for the audience, the audio on the recording is from the CD which is why the instruments don't match up in some spots.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:01 pm

There were some live tracks augmenting studio tracks, and not all of Gregs vocals were live. Basically it was a faux show though....hahaha

I would not get caught into thinking that there could not have been live tracks because audio does not match. With multiple camera shots and takes of the same tune, this is going to happen from time to time. Now that we are digital everything, we have more mismatched audio and video than ever, especially in broadcasting. There is latency in the front of house and monitor consoles (3ms on average). So, if they sync video to audio coming from ProTools, there will already be a delay by the time it is heard in the house. Then there is more delay induced by the cameras, cables and switcher. Not much on the very high end, but some nonetheless. This is a sticky situation. When they are assembling video and audio tracks, they can align them so that everything matches, but it all drifts. They can't keep snapping everything in time. It is too time consuming. If they were to snap everything in time, they would eventually have missing data in some places.
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:55 pm

I was there, and both Bob and Louie played every part live and was included live on the DVD and Live CD along with some of the studio tracks from the rythm guitar parts. You can tell when you play the Studio CD and Live CD back to back. Also Bema Seat starts with a Crescendo in the first chord, instead than with the original riff. Is more obvoius on the Guitar Solo for God Pleaser, and the double kick drum parts that Louie added Live to the bridge on Second Wind. Greg sang some parts live, some parts canned. To me most of the Keyboards were canned.

You have to take it for what it is, the producers wanted a flawless performance to present on TBN, not a raw concert. If you hear the Cornerstone performance, now that gets me excited. I have it non-stop in my car for the past 2 weeks.
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:29 am

I have mixed feelings on it being a real live show or a taped mistake free performance.
In one aspect I think they did the right thing mainly because to be honest they hadn't truly played together since the mid 80's and were not really seasoned yet andd
probably would have not sounded very well. On the other hand I love live concert CD/DVD and really hope a full length one will be on the way in the future.
The one problem I have is how management has marketed it as a live show. The DVD package says "live show" and also "live" on the cover and frankly its a lie.
I guess they feel most won't mind or most won't know or realize its not live so its ok to say live and let them assume it is. I wonder how many feel its ok to lie like this even when we know God sees it as such?
0 x

adpetrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by adpetrafan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:26 pm

Where is the official definition of "live show"? I do not understand calling the use of the word live for this video a lie. It happened live in front of people right? It was recorded live right? So it was edited, and the audio was remixed... Does that negate the fact that it was live when it was recorded? When I watch it, I see a stage with musicians on it. They are having fun, and I know people here on this list had the priviledge of being there seeing it - wait for it - live.

Are all of these lies? http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... words=LIVE
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:44 pm

adpetrafan wrote:Where is the official definition of "live show"? I do not understand calling the use of the word live for this video a lie. It happened live in front of people right? It was recorded live right? So it was edited, and the audio was remixed... Does that negate the fact that it was live when it was recorded? When I watch it, I see a stage with musicians on it. They are having fun, and I know people here on this list had the priviledge of being there seeing it - wait for it - live.

Are all of these lies? http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... words=LIVE
This is something that the industry has been doing for a long time and yes its at the very least misleading the consumer, but for the most part the consumer doesn't care. Just because everyone does it don't make ethically right.
When I see a concert DVD and it says in 2 spots on the cover "live show" or "live" then the first thing I think I'm going to watch a concert where the musicians and singers parts are actually being recorded and I'm actually hearing and seeing what they are playing.
Now I do understand where edits have to be made because of significant human error, but recording most of it back in a studio and then stamping "live show" all over the cover and on the DVD is just plain as day a lie.
0 x

pethead97
Pethead
Pethead

Post by pethead97 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:59 pm

Hey guys, if anyone noticed, during the concert, there was a 6th member present....Greg Bailey (part of the "Farewell" line-up). At the concert, he was the conductor for the string section.
0 x
[img]http://www.profootballhof.com/assets/history/Colts_logo_Nov20.jpg[/img] [img]http://photo.stamps.com/web/images/catalog/nflimages/First_Release/New_York_Giants/small_newyorkgiants_logo.gif[/img]

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:12 pm

adpetrafan wrote:Where is the official definition of "live show"? I do not understand calling the use of the word live for this video a lie. It happened live in front of people right? It was recorded live right? So it was edited, and the audio was remixed... Does that negate the fact that it was live when it was recorded?
In that case it's a very misleading use of the word "live".
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:09 pm

Few bands play 100% live and unassisted. Even Elvis, David Coverdale, and countless others used singers backstage to hit their high notes.
0 x